Thread: Original Push Hands

Original Push Hands

Hi Taiji Brothers and sisters,

Since there has been alot of talk on the PUSH HANDS of Taiji, can someone tell me what was the original push hands of taiji as now as ive checked there is all different ways and methods now. Was there an Original Push Hand exrecise or it doesnt matter to have all the variations?

Dr John,

Can we meet up sometimes next week>?

Regards
    Garry

I don't think we can say what the actual original pushing hands was. All of the Taiji families have modified what they do over the years.

Freestyle pushing hands, unchoreographed, maybe as close as we can get, but this is just my theory.

the original push hands practice in Chen was Da Lu, from that they created the fixed step version. Various styles of taiji reinterpretted that in their own way. The original competition format i believe involved pushing your opponent out of a ring, or throwing him down. Some limited striking was probably allowed. It's roots are in the Shuai Chiao sport of Mongolians

I havent seen many push hand comps just on youtube but no one can bounce the opponent away like i see in the clips maybe its just a training method and cannot be applied as such in reality?