Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: weight training

weight training

Unfortunately, it seems to be a dirty term for some martial arts enthusiasts but I feel its a great thing. So, anyone know any weight-lifting excersizes that are especially good Gung Fu supplements?

Full squat
    Deadlift - snatch grip, conventional, partial, romanian
    Olympic pulling - any
    Jerks - Push, power, split
    Bench
    Row
    Press
    Pullup, chinup, horizontal pullup(lean back to approximate a rowing motion)

Grip training of all kinds
    Medicine ball tosses of all kinds
    Throws of other implements(discus, shotput, rocks...)
    Last edited by _William_; 07-25-2006 at 09:13 PM.

Thanks for the tips William.

Grip training is something I always liked. But I am not sure what exactly I should do in this reguard. Also, I've heard that if done improperly one can get tendonitis. What would you suggest in terms of grip training?
    Last edited by The Xia; 07-25-2006 at 09:40 PM.

For grip i do alot because its just good to have but try rock climbing esp indoor my forearms failed twice in 2 hours it awesome.
    Go hard or go home or some where else up to you

http://therandomandthefit.blogspot.com.au/

Weight training. I try to do mostly full body exercises like _William_ suggested. But if you check my pullup thread you'll see that my pullups suck right now.

Here's what I do for my standard workout.

Rowing machine, row 500 meters
    20 box jumps on a 20inch box.
    20 kettle bell swings.
    20 push presses with 75lbs.

I time myself for three rounds and record the time. The time is a great way to measure fitness. Once I get to a certain time I'll either add another round or another exercise.

For example, when I first started doing this workout, I didn't have the kettlebell swings in there. I was doing 4 rounds of the other exercises in less than 15 minutes. So I decided to add another exercise and drop down to 3 rounds. My times are comming in at about 17 minutes now. Once I get down to the 15 minute mark, I'll add a fourth round.

Once my back gets healed up I'll also get back to doing deadlifts, squats and bench press.

Grip training. I use a Captains of Crush gripper. I started out with the Trainer and I now have a Number 1 gripper. I was able to close it for the first time just last night.

I've heard another way to improve grip strength is to rope climb so I'm considering putting a rope in the tree in my back yard.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Interesting stuff. Have any of you tried or considered traditional Chinese weights? I know its big in Shuai Jiao circles. If you do buy the stuff, I wonder if you'd need an actual trainer or can you just do the excersizes from reading.

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia
    Interesting stuff. Have any of you tried or considered traditional Chinese weights? I know its big in Shuai Jiao circles. If you do buy the stuff, I wonder if you'd need an actual trainer or can you just do the excersizes from reading.

just like anything else, it would benefit you to have someone show you proper technique, be it a pulley, stone locks or the rock pole.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Thanks for the tips William.

Grip training is something I always liked. But I am not sure what exactly I should do in this reguard. Also, I've heard that if done improperly one can get tendonitis. What would you suggest in terms of grip training?
    I'm no expert in grip. However just train it in moderation, 2x weekly to start. If it gets too much then cut back and ice.

Train the finger extensors(opening the hand) as well to ensure muscle balance. Elastic bands work well here.

Quote Originally Posted by _William_
    I'm no expert in grip. However just train it in moderation, 2x weekly to start. If it gets too much then cut back and ice.

Train the finger extensors(opening the hand) as well to ensure muscle balance. Elastic bands work well here.
    Finger extensors. Yeah, that would make sense to ensure balance. Thanks!
    Last edited by The Xia; 08-30-2006 at 07:33 PM.

Hey The Xia----I started traing with kettlebells a few months ago and have gotten results that I really like. They have made my back and shoulders way stronger than they used to be, and they really improve the grip. I think they're especially good for martial artists because you learn how to use your whole body on every exercise (which is essential in MA anyway). I also rehabed old injuries with kettlebells too.
    You can read up on them on http://www.dragondoor.com.I didn't buy mine here because they are too expensive. I got them form a track and field websit that Chief Fox posted a while back. They won't kill you with shipping like dragondoor does.
    I still keep my regular plate weights around because I think deadlifting has enourmous benefits.
    "If you practice praying mantis, women will like you."--Shi Zheng-Zhong

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia
    Unfortunately, it seems to be a dirty term for some martial arts enthusiasts but I feel its a great thing. So, anyone know any weight-lifting excersizes that are especially good Gung Fu supplements?
    Hi, I'm new to this board but not new to this question. I am a certified fitness trainer with 26 years of experience and a 2nd degree black belt in the art of Kung Fu San Soo with 14 years experience.

This is something that is right up my alley. I have found that one of the keys to martial art prowess is the development of your leg strength (balance and power) and your cardio strength (the ability to sustain your energy during an altercation).

If you would like tips related to this subject take a look at my blog,

Diary of a San Soo Blackbelt

Good luck in your training!

Tony Mendoza
    Kung Fu Training Secrets, Inc.
    Last edited by sansooman; 07-31-2006 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Trying to get images tag to work

Thanks for the link. I like your website, Tony. Welcome to kungfumagazine. Squats and Pullovers are two of the great exercises old school weight lifters know and love. You could do much worse than those even if they were all you did.

Cheers.

Thank you

Thank you for the welcome. I look forward to participating on this board. I also noticed that you are out of Eugene, Oregon. I am in the process of moving to Brookings, Oregon and will be opening a Kung Fu San Soo school there once I am settled.

Thanks again!

Tony

chief fox turned me on to crossfit a while ago and i just did this routine for the second time last night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4o-RM6ebuis

its a killer leg workout that i can not recommend enough. i did it for my first time cause i thought it looked fairly easy for a crossfit workout. i thought its just too bad i only have 40lb dumbells at home. turns out 40s were too heavy .... after 2 sets i had to drop down. the girl in the workout is using 45s. i think the guy is using 65s. it's deceptively hard.

even if you dont want to kill yourself like these guys do you can still take a lot of ideas and workouts from their site and play with them.

also sled. if you have access to one it will become your new best friend. if you can purchase one cheaply and have a place to use it do so.

*edit .. .sled link fixed
    Last edited by GunnedDownAtrocity; 08-02-2006 at 11:28 AM.
    where's my beer?

GDA,

that Crossfit clip reminds me of why I have a problem w/ Crossfit. The decay in form both those trainees were experiencing is disturbing and dangerous- knee injuries waiting to happen- both of them were buckling their knees in on the squat motions even on the first set, and it looked brutal by the last. Sevenstar's comment on learning proper technique is especially relevant here.

Andrew