Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: weight training

Quote Originally Posted by sansooman
    It depends on what type of fighting you are involved in. For a street encounter yes, anaerobic fitness is probably 1st but when most people are engaged in a fight their adrenaline will shoot their heart rate up like they are running a sprint. It is the fight or flight reaction in most cases that does this. For those of you that have been in a serious street fight you'll know what I'm talking about.
    and as you should know, the adrenaline dump only lasts a few seconds. It's not prolonged. when it's done, you feel sapped, for the reason you stated. I don't think cardio will help you there. What's more beneficial in that aspect is experience - knowing what you are going through physiologically and how to deal with it. When I am breaking up / getting into fights on my job, being out of breath is never a factor unless it's a really long, drawn out altercation.

Being in good cardio shape ensures you will have ALL the energy neccessary to handle the encounter.
    I don't deny it helps, just saying that anaerobic is more important in a quick encounter, like a streetfight.

I do the squat pullover combination 4-6 weeks before our promotions to rev up my stamina. It generally takes 3-5 minutes to do one squat pullover set with (currently) 365lbs x 20reps squat and 90lbs x 20reps pullover.
    nice. It's not often that I see someone with a squat as high as mine.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Quote Originally Posted by sansooman
    365lbs x 20reps squat
    D.amn. How much do you weigh? Are those ass to the ground reps? I can't even hit 365x1! But then again, I only weigh 160. The most I've ever squatted was 315x1, but I got it on vid. w00t! And now I have to throw out there that it was a legit powerlifting squat and the ASIS of my hips was below my knees.

But still. 365x20? That's sick. Nice work.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

Question

So, anyone ever try traditional Chinese weights?

Dang! I'm still working on that 320 X 20 sumo Deadlift and nowhere near.

But I plan on hitting it in the next three month cycle. Everything I read says deadlifts are supposed to be "easier" than squats, but apparently not for me.

You guys are inspiring.

Quote Originally Posted by IronFist View Post
    D.amn. How much do you weigh? Are those ass to the ground reps? I can't even hit 365x1! But then again, I only weigh 160. The most I've ever squatted was 315x1, but I got it on vid. w00t! And now I have to throw out there that it was a legit powerlifting squat and the ASIS of my hips was below my knees.

But still. 365x20? That's sick. Nice work.
    Thanks, I weigh 210lbs and am 5' 10" tall. I have been doing the squat pullover combination for 18 years though so after that much time 365lbs is very possible. The squat is parrallel to the ground. It can be very hard on the knees going below parallel with that much weight.

Go to: http://www.kungfutrainingsecrets.com/videos/squat1.html

to see a client of mine doing the squat with correct form.

Tony