Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sensivity Training

Sensivity Training

How important is tactile sensitivity in actual combat?
    Life's a fresh pile of crap in a flower garden. Plan accordingly.

Had posted this on the other thread but it belongs more on this one...

To wit:

=================================================

Chi Sao and related material are DRILLS.. The drills are how WCK folks work on attribute development as it relates to WCK--Chi Sao is not fighting. The purpose of any of this kind of training is developing attributes FOR WCK fighting and for SELF DEFENSE, which is NOT always the same thing.

It cultivates attributes and skills like:

Contact Reflexes

Meaning a sensitivity to various conditions that can and will exist when fighters "clash", meaning forceful contact with the arms, legs and body happens, something that happens often enough in real fighting—forceful contact.

Awareness to position and range

Conditions that WCK trains to be sensitive to relate to body and bridge position and energy. This translates into how, as it applies to energy/force, the opponent's resistance manifests <how he leaves the line> and how to use this resistance depending on what position you find yourself in to gain an advantage in order to apply an effective attack.

Why Sensitivity Training?

In order to:

Speed up our timing

Just as grapplers use feeling to determine how to control the opponent using the concepts and moves in their system WCK emphasizes relying on feeling as much as possible because responding to feeling is several times faster than is relying on sight--due to reaction delay..

WCK in it's simplest form is about learning how to control the center space through adapting to the opponent's energy and position, just as a grappler does, except in this case using WCK techniques, structure and concepts..

More over these kinds of drills re-enforce and ingrain a myriad of key system concepts into the body, like:

General Center Space theory
    Hand Unity
    Hand Replacement
    Bi-Directional Energy
    Using the opponent's energy against him
    Leaving and Returning to the line
    Body Unity
    Body Alignment
    WCK Structure
    Economy of Motion
    WCK Power generation and release
    Freed Hand Attacks the Line
    Attacking Hand Defends
    Facing and Following
    Hand Hits from where it is..
    Fan Sao--or Continuity of Attack
    Making Three movements at once
    Combining attack and defense

And on and on...

These drills, when taught and trained the right way may not be a "cure all" but they represent a highly evolved training platform for cultivating several key system components via a PROGRESSIVE TRAINING method. The method addresses the majority of WCK concepts and integrates them as a whole that can be trained against progressive resistance and internalized..

The progression is an ingenious method of cultivating in a cohesive manner most of WCK's key attributes in a format that can be completely unrehearsed and free, or it can be broken down into parts for students to focus on where they may need work. These dynamic sensitivity drills form the basic training of the system and provide a context for each tool, technique and concept and the opportunity to work them in a kind of WCK laboratory where our attributes, techniques and concepts can be cultivated with progressive resistance--ideally they become a natural part of us.

What is good about movement A and what is bad about movement A is a gross over-simplification; It all depends on the conditions that exist in the moment. Each tool has a use and time it is best applied.. There is no guarantee, however, that any training move or technique will ever be needed since this all depends on what the opponent does or fails to do.. Indeed some WCK moves will NEVER be needed, but this does not invalidate training to adapt to the opponent's energy and position, since this is at the heart of what ANY MA system or method of training is trying to do, the only question is how one goes about it and what methods one wishes to train and cultivate..

WCK emphasizes training feeling and kinesthetic awareness as it relates to controlling our "center space" and center <CG> of the opponent. At close quarter combat range sight is almost useless, and deceptive as well, so other senses are cultivated in these drills. We train to use energy, ours and his, the given position, leverage and our system's concepts to take control of the opponent by the most economic means possible--and that is the study made here in the drills..

No doubt that folks can get carried away by this large area of focus. So folks need to also work on Visual Sensitivity and working from the outside, non contact ranges, how to read the opponent, etc. And these things must be addressed in Sparring drills and sparring that involves MAINLY IMO sparring folks that DO NOT do WCK...

So, these drills form what is the base and core of WCK theory and how that is internalized... Don't get confused by the "fancy moves" in these drills--don't take the training so literally—look beyond petty technique--it is about the underlying lessons and concepts that are being taught.

The drilling is finally about a study of energy and position, through feeling and kinesthetic awareness and how to become sensitive enough to this resistance to adapt, naturally, economically and with superior timing and position. The objective of this drilling is to train the student how to use WCK concepts and internalize them in order to take control and finish the opponent.

In the end the training is the training, don’t confuse the Finger for the Moon, this stuff is all about using less not more, to become simpler, not more complicated and, as with any art you get out of it what you put into it—train harder and smarter and the result will be better.
    Last edited by YungChun; 07-27-2006 at 01:46 PM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F
    "You should have kicked him in the ball_..."—Sifu

Wow! A very good post. Thanks YungChun.

I'm really amazed that there were no more posts on this on than the one above. While YungChun's post is quite thorough and pretty much covers it all IMHO, I was hoping to see more input here. I know there is a significant cache of experience on this forum and I was hoping to pick up some new perceptions.

About sensitivity training

Grand Master Kernspecht's sensitivity in WingTsun is so good that he can feel yourvbreathing on contact with your limbs....
    We don't learn how to start fights, but how to finish them!

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun20
    Grand Master Kernspecht's sensitivity in WingTsun is so good that he can feel yourvbreathing on contact with your limbs....
    LOL

er

I take it you were joking right?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Sentivity training .....Yes chi sao

But any training U do with a partner his sentivity training ...

two partner drills are sentivity training ...In the filipino M A we do a lot of that..
    Judo,jiujitsu do that also ...

Ok for chinese WC southern mantis ....in pakua taiji hsing i
    do this training different name but the same goals....

its the only way to train to understtood what u do....

Sorry im not english so my vocabulary is restraint

here I dont talk about the two men set of some kung fu style ...I talk about drills

Steeve

Quote Originally Posted by Meklorien
    I'm really amazed that there were no more posts on this on than the one above. ...
    As you can see by Yung Chun's post, it's a pretty complicated subject which could take a long essay to even summarize. Maybe that's why.

Plus, it's a bit theoretical for some.

But...

although my approach to this question is maybe different to YC's it doesn't mean I disagree. There are a few points on YC's post I'd like to add to/take minor issue with but I'll do that later when I have time... Let me have just a quick go for now

Quote Originally Posted by Meklorian
    How important is tactile sensitivity in actual combat?
    In conventional stand-up, not very. In any kind of grappliing (stand-up or ground) very. In clinch work quite.

Conventional stand-up needs striking! This has no room or time for tactile sensitivity. True, my internals and koryu teacher could seem to punch right into your core each time... which would invariably crush the bretah out of you and disrupt your balance no matter which angle he was hitting you, and he put this down to finding the core on contact with the fist. But he is exceptional and for most people this is redundant... too much tactile information in a striking scenario is too much for your brain to handle and will slow you up. However, training chum kiu is a bit of an exception, and I'll mention that below.

Your question itself seems indicative of some confusion in this area. The thread title is 'sensitivity training' but the question is about 'sensitivity in combat'. These things are different, and will maybe lead to YC's point about the finger and the moon!

I think chi sao is very useful training, but I think most people's problem with it is they do too much thinking that that kind of sensitivity training in itself is enough to improve fighting ability.

But in some ways what it does is give you a false sense of ability and confidence. The reason for this is because it's a half-and-half-range. It's not a clinch, it doesn't follow into grappling despite it being suited to both of these ranges, and it doesn't cater against fighters who train specifically to disrupt contact (longer range impact fighters like Thai fighters or boxers)... ie it serves best against other people who are looking for the same kind of sticky contact. Also it often causes training too much in one rhythm, which will negate any tactile advantages in favour of a arrhythmical boxing-style fighter.

As such then chi sao only trains the SLT reflexes and energies thoroughly and doesn't really deal with the bridge-finding and sticking aspects of CK (ideally for gaining contact from a non-contact range - thus with minimum use for tactile sensitivity), or the short hip-generated 'bounce' or smothering energies of BG (itself useful for moving into grappling or attacking while disengaging or overwhelmed in the clinch).

Good application training from CK must include non-contact starts, and this can be done through limited free chi sao, starting with no contact, or through sparring. I favour two/three-step sparring for this ie, one person comes in with a combo of two or three full speed un-set strikes and you counter. Normal full-on continuous sparring is good too, but has some disadvantages I don't have time to go into now. Two/three-step sparring allows you to go more full-contact safely I think, while focusing on finding and utilising and in many cases delinking the bridge. It is also important as it reminds you very effectively that if there's no bridge, there's a strike, and if necessary the strike or it's follow-through give you the opportunity to use your sensitivity to read your opponent's balance and take it with some sweep/takedown/grappling move. So the strike to the core becomes the bridge itself.

Just a few thoughts.
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

About Master Kernspecht's sensitivity...well even as a joke I could see some of it being close to true if he's well trained. But that's just me saying...

To me...sensitivity, as far as my limited experience with FSWCK is concerned, gives you what I like to call the 'chess mentality'. I have felt this through my sihings and sifu. They are just extraordinary when it comes to such. The seem to 'forsee' your actions even as far as your 'intent'.

To this effect I used to joke with some of my buddies when we used to play chess by saying to them that I played chess by 'feel' and not by actual moves. Being sensitive allows you to analyze a situation and react accordingly in a timely fashion. Of course a prerequisite to sensitivity is relaxation so it is VERY important for one to be relaxed to achieve that sensitivity. I wish I could say more but I am still learning myself. Just a couple of taels from yours truly.

DRleungjan
    It is amazing for me to understand that "unexplainable" no longer has to mean "nonexistent". pp172
    Grave's End: A True Ghost Story by Elaine Mercado, R.N.

sensitivity drills for me mean when u have contact ...close range ...whatever if u go for wrestling or sriking.....nothing about tactile stuff ...chisao its not to feel the opponent but to find the opening for fininsh the fight with strike or grappling (throw ) or chinna ...when you have contact think for offensive ...chi sao is not for defensive its for contact split second and bingo u strike him ...the drills is for train ur sentivity to attack not for defense .....in kali we have hubud lubud and more drills with stick ,knife and empty hands...

The problem is too much WC players take chi sao like a combat drills ....now we have competition in chi sao...chi sao is like siu nim tau .....

anyway I read more what u mean and go to reply

Steeve

Quote Originally Posted by WingTsun20
    i know a cranial osteopath who says they can do that and even feel your spinal fluid pulse through touching limbs so i guess its not outlandish but i think the thing to bear in mind is sensitivity is only one attribute. taking it to that extreme might be useless without eg structure power distance timing etc

Quote Originally Posted by stricker
    i know a cranial osteopath who says they can do that and even feel your spinal fluid pulse through touching limbs so i guess its not outlandish but i think the thing to bear in mind is sensitivity is only one attribute.
    See, through no fault of yours Stricker (I'm just using your answer to that post as an example) this thread is already drifting off topic and into bull****.

Who cares if Kernspecht can feel someone breathing through their arm?! The question was about sensitivity in combat! I know my opponent is breathing because he's trying to ****ing punch me! And I don't need a ****ing divining rod to hit him back!

How important is the sensitivity aspect in stand-up? Take an adrenaline dump and tell me how sensitive your bridge needs to be! My aim in wing chun is to hit him and finish the fight by whatever means necessary, not to sing him Cum-by-Yah. Now if I find that level of contact where the sensitivity is going to be important, that's the clinch or grappling... and that's a different ballgame.

Quote Originally Posted by stricker
    taking it to that extreme might be useless without eg structure power distance timing etc
    Precisely! Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch
    Conventional stand-up needs striking! This has no room or time for tactile sensitivity.
    Disagree—and this completely contradicts the WCK system IMO.

WCK is striking based and clearly meshes striking with tactile sensitivity attributes..

The problem with some WCK folks is that they are thinking chi sao and not striking, when they should be "thinking" striking first and using sensitivity when needed, as when they get in your way, as in the clash...

If you are inside fighting--ha I sound like Gary--then you cannot rely on your eyes for feedback unless you want to work with a major delay.. Feeling has much less of a delay and is why it is trained in this system.

WCK sensitivity trains you how to react when this clash happens and how to use the energy in order to take control using striking. When most folks without this training get in this range they either cover and pray, turn and run, or throw random combos--that is if they don't use sensitivity, something even boxers use on the inside.. Sensitivity allows you to use both their energy--their intent and yours with superior timing to defeat them with various WCK tools and concepts if you need them, now if you can just land on the guy, well then, I agree, you don't really need much sensitivity.

But this misses the point, because training WCK sensitivity drills make you sensitive to body angles and position, kinesthetic awareness, something that has universal application be it for striking or not..

Don't you use sensitivity in sparring when using WCK striking attacks that are obstructed?
    Last edited by YungChun; 07-31-2006 at 11:56 PM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F

Quote Originally Posted by YungChun
    The problem with some WCK folks is that they are thinking chi sao and not striking, when they should be "thinking" striking first
    That's what I'm saying, exactly.

...and using sensitivity when needed, as when they get in your way, as in the clash

If you are inside fighting--ha I sound like Gary--then you cannot rely on your eyes for feedback unless you want to work with a major delay.. Feeling has much less of a delay and is why it is trained in this system. ...
    Feeling in your expression here is not the same as tactile sensitivity ie, the sense of touch.

WCK sensitivity trains you how to react when this clash happens and how to use the energy in order to take control using striking. When most folks without this training get in this range they either cover and pray, turn and run, or throw random combos--that is if they don't use sensitivity, something even boxers use on the inside.. Sensitivity allows you to use both their energy--their intent and yours with superior timing to defeat them with various WCK tools and concepts if you need them, now if you can just land on the guy, well then, I agree, you don't really need much sensitivity.
    Again, you are not talking about the sense of touch. Of course you need contact to get these results but I don't think it's the same as tactile sensitivity: it seems we have completely different definitions!

But this misses the point, because training WCK sensitivity drills make you sensitive to body angles and position, kinesthetic awareness, something that has universal application be it for striking or not..
    Precisely: the kinesthetic awareness is the key. If you're saying that is equal to tactile sensitivity I would have to say that that confusion is why some people mistake chi sao for combat training as opposed to practising some skill-sets that can be used in combat training.

Don't you use sensitivity in sparring when using WCK striking attacks that are obstructed?
    No. I can't say in all honesty that I'm trying to feel anything or using any sensitivity when I grab a blocking arm and lop it. The skill, the reflex I have developed to enable me to use this principle effectively has been trained using sensitivity training in chi sao, but that is the finger. The moon is still hitting him, and the jerking of his arm and taking his balance is part of the same action. I am not reconising any stimulus other than my arm being stopped in the act of a strike, and my instant change of direction/tech/energy is reflex.

I would also argue that boxers have the kinesthetic reflexes, but I wouldn't call that tactile sensitivity either. The time it would take to read tactile cues and for your brain to digest them would be wasted time, and nigh on impossible with the adrenaline kicking in.

I don't know.. On the one hand Mr. Punch you are saying you are adapting through feel, but then saying that adapting through feel is too slow and unrealistic.. To me you are either adapting and changing based on feedback or you're not.. I'm not saying it is a cognitive process--yes THAT is too slow..

Too much focus on Lop, a Lop, or whatever, has to be there to happen--and then it is natural and automatic--hopefully. When you go to hit them and you clash the training allows you to adapt automatically yes but through feedback, through sensitivity..

What are we training to be sensitive to? Position and energy..
    Last edited by YungChun; 08-01-2006 at 01:25 PM.
    Jim Hawkins
    M Y V T K F