Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Departing student

Departing student

Hi all,

I need your advice. One of my students (10 years old) just informed me that his family is moving to Oregon next week. I want to give him something as a send off as he has been a terrific student. Any appropriate advice is appreciated.
    Life's a fresh pile of crap in a flower garden. Plan accordingly.

A group picture, signed by all his fellow students?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po
    A group picture, signed by all his fellow students?
    A good idea. Problem there is he is leaving on Wednesday and most of the students won't be around until after. Real bummer though. That would be a great keepsake for him.

present

give him a center line punch, so he can always remember you

Quote Originally Posted by edward
    give him a center line punch, so he can always remember you
    With a 50 lb dumbbell to the jaw. Don't forget the upward angle.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha_Fist
    With a 50 lb dumbbell to the jaw. Don't forget the upward angle.

Too funny. But seriously, any unique ideas are appreciated.

kick his a$$. This way he'll always have a unique story to tell when talking about the old school he used to attend. It's the gift that keeps on giving.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Red face

...(sigh)...

Hi there Meklorien,

Any vids of you and your classes? maybe make him a copy of one...I'm always fond of old vids.

DRleungjan
    It is amazing for me to understand that "unexplainable" no longer has to mean "nonexistent". pp172
    Grave's End: A True Ghost Story by Elaine Mercado, R.N.

Quote Originally Posted by DRleungjan
    Hi there Meklorien,

Any vids of you and your classes? maybe make him a copy of one...I'm always fond of old vids.

DRleungjan
    There's no vid of the classes, but that's not a bad idea. Maybe I can document things on the last night on video for him so he has something to look back on. Thanks Leung Jan.

Don't give him anything. Offer to go out to eat and discuss ways to continue to foster the relationship. If nothing else, maybe give him some personal item of yours that you wish to pass on to him.
    Moy Yat Kung Fu - Martial Intelligence

Quote Originally Posted by Lindley
    Don't give him anything. Offer to go out to eat and discuss ways to continue to foster the relationship. If nothing else, maybe give him some personal item of yours that you wish to pass on to him.
    Actually I had thought of that, but since he's 10 years old and is moving to another state I wasn't sure what I could give him. I think I will be giving him a video of the last day of class, but I did want to give him something between he and I. He's been a great student and I would like to give him something more than the video. I don't have any trinkets or such that are worth giving.

I WOULD like to give him a wing chun ring but they run a bit more than I can spare at the moment.

But you've given me the idea that maybe I can get the address to his next location and send him something a little later. In fact, yes. I think that's just what I'll do in that area. Thanks Lindley.

I was going to say maybe give him a sword. But those are kinda pricey and seeing how he's only 10. Maybe not such a good idea.

Hey, I just found these cool little shaolin monk statues. Maybe get him one of those, they look pretty cool.

http://www.ninja-weapons.com/Decorat...oalin_Statues/
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Hello,

If he is really into Wing Chun then it might not be a bad idea to present him with one of the mini Wing Chun Dummies. You can even have a little plaque engraved and put on the base of the stand. This is not all that difficult nor expensive and he can display it in his room. It would also be a reminder of the time spent training and also be a nice conversation piece for his friends.
    Peace,

Dave

http://www.sifuchowwingchun.com
    Wherever my opponent stands--they are in my space

Quote Originally Posted by Sihing73
    Hello,

If he is really into Wing Chun then it might not be a bad idea to present him with one of the mini Wing Chun Dummies. You can even have a little plaque engraved and put on the base of the stand. This is not all that difficult nor expensive and he can display it in his room. It would also be a reminder of the time spent training and also be a nice conversation piece for his friends.

I like this idea. I had given him a shaolin monk statue sometime back and was kind considering this idea for now.

I want to thank you guys for your ideas. I really appreciate your help.