Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many People on this forum train at a McDojo

How Many People on this forum train at a McDojo

I say about 90%

Sorry but while I was reading a different thread this is what I was thinking.

I do

Seriously, it is a pretty silly question.
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Warrior
    I say about 90%

LOL, I bet it was one of the threads started by me wasn't it?

I think this is the general path. The McDojo's serve the main stream public who are not really serious enough to eveer go really far. Thoses who are destined to persue the arts for life eventually find the good stuff and gravitate to those clubs.

I allways thought what was needed was a school that offeres both General public classes (Mc Classess Ha Ha!), and a program for the serious hard core lifers as well. This serves the full range of people's needs.

I would need a school with two rooms, one faceing the front, and a back room where the big boys can play.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA
    I say about 90%

so...what about you?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    I allways thought what was needed was a school that offeres both General public classes (Mc Classess Ha Ha!), and a program for the serious hard core lifers as well. This serves the full range of people's needs.

I would need a school with two rooms, one faceing the front, and a back room where the big boys can play.
    In college, I trained in White Dragon Kung Fu and this is how the place was run. It was in a college town and the sifu, on any given month, had probably 20-30 new students sign up. Beginner classes were large but offered a great workout and a good environment for recreational students to get a good workout and learn some basic kung fu. After 6-9 months, most of these people would quit and were replaced by another batch of newcomers looking for generalyl the same thing.

Needless to say, this establishment was NOT a McDojo. After the first 2-3 tests a student could join the intermediate class and beyond, where a set of very serious students resided. Some were on a teaching path and would spend many hours every day in the kwoon with a variety of different training aids. Others were just simply always training, in the kwoon and out. There were some pretty "hard" people in that group.

A nice setup for a sifu that teaches kung fu full-time. Gives people a good workout to pay the bills (this particular sifu was raking it in...) while also allowing him to have a set of "disciples" that he can really flesh things out with...

What is your definition of a McDojo?

In simple terms I think of a McDojo as a money grubbing black belt factory with sub par martial arts.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

i avoid them like the plague.

we have a few here in Canada, and an inordinate amount in the city I live in.
    The daycare aspect is what makes bread and butter for schools though.

Serious martial artists with hardcore goals and realistice training wants are few and far between.

so, daycare karate schools are everywhere because people can't be bothered to , or don't know how to bring discipline into tehir childs like and through presupposition put that on the shoulders of some tkd, judo, karate or kungfu instructor et al.

It's probably not all that bad of a starter environment for a little kid anyway, kind of like a montessori with a gi. lol

adults who stay in them are ...well, not very intelligent people to begin with, or they are happy with what they have and aren't looking for anything more out of it. they want the three foot trophy for screaming loud. They want their ofice mates to think they're bad ass because they are in a school that people see in tv ads. etc etc etc.

mcdojos serve a purpose. They are a filter mesh for real martial artists. THey are daycares with a difference and they are confidence building hidy holes for adults who will never be in a encounter in their lives. they let mice roar like lions. There's some good in having them.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I dont train at a McDojo

My definition of a McDojo is a school where an untrained athletic 18 year old ex high school football player could beat up most of the school as well as the intructors.

The reason I think 90% of the people on this forum train at a McDojo is because the above would happen to most of you.
    Last edited by Dragon Warrior; 07-28-2006 at 08:13 PM.

I dont train at a McDojo

My definition of a McDojo is a school where an untrained athletic 18 year old ex-football player could beat up most of the school as well as the intructors.

The reason I think 90% of the people on this forum train at a McDojo is because the above would happen to most of you.
    Thems fightin' words!

beep beep beep TROLL ALERT beep beep beep TROLL ALERT beep beep beep TROLL ALERT
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

Sorry Ou Ji,

didnt mean to hurt your feelings

Im not trying to insult anybody, I know everyone thinks that all the schools around them are McDojo's except their school.

But just ask yourself honostly, can an athletic 18 year old ex-football player kick my arse and my instructors?

If you're not sure abouth the answer, you probably train at a McDojo.
    Last edited by Dragon Warrior; 07-28-2006 at 11:42 AM.

Just because you get beat up by osme guy 2x your size doesn't mean you train at a McDojo. There's so much more to Martial Arts than just judging whether you would win a fight or not, and people need t orealize that.

My definition of a McDojo is the kind where the more you pay the quicker you get your black belt. And being as how the school I atend doesn't have any ranks or belts, and we don't even worry about who's better or things like that I'd say we're not a McDojo, and it's not a very public oriented school (could be a slight misfortune) our school is sort of like a tight group of friends or family. I wish we would do some freaking Si chao though.

Good point Syn

It's not just being able to fight that counts.
    But you should be able to defend yourself at least against a guy your own weight if you have been training for a long period of time.

I love when people make grand sweeping statements like "90% of the people here train at a mcdojo". I'm sure you don't realize this but you sound really ignorant when you say stuff like that.

The fact is, you have no idea where, how or at what intensity the people here train at. So instead of making a grand sweeping statement maybe you should start a thread that questions how people train.

That might actually lead to some decent disscussion instead of basically attacking 90% of the people here.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

My kids and I train at a McDojo.

I didn't think I'd do it, but they were the only place that let me do a lot of sparring right away, and we do takedowns now because you get more points for takedowns in karate sparring than just punches or kicks.

The hours are convenient, the owner/sensei is a great guy, and his daughter is great with my kids. My kids both love the place.

What can I say? Every school should be like that.