Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How Many People on this forum train at a McDojo

And anyway, I train at a McDojo, and I freely admit it ... just be honest.

If you teacher is really teaching martial arts then why do you have to justify it? You don't have to ...

If you're going to a McDojo then you're going to a McDojo. Who the heck cares?

It's only people who are going to McDojos that don't think they are that have some internal conflict that think they need to justify their McDojo. If you knew your teacher was really good you wouldn't need to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by neilhytholt
    And anyway, I train at a McDojo, and I freely admit it ... just be honest.

If you teacher is really teaching martial arts then why do you have to justify it? You don't have to ...

If you're going to a McDojo then you're going to a McDojo. Who the heck cares?

It's only people who are going to McDojos that don't think they are that have some internal conflict that think they need to justify their McDojo. If you knew your teacher was really good you wouldn't need to argue.

That is a valid point. I just started on this forum and was attacked after stating something about eye gouges. I think I was misunderstood. I went into defense mode. That was the point of my last post was that I shouldn't need to justify myself to anyone. I do think he is a good instructor. I guess the biggest point is that everyone is different and we are not all in martial arts for the same reason. Whatever works for that person is what works.
    This is a rough crowd!

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Warrior
    First of all, yeah in the street you can eye-gouge, but why does that make mma uneffective? An mma fighter can eye-gouge you as easily as you can eye-gouge him, also, he will have an easier time eye-gouging you when he has you mounted and is controlling you . Not to mention the fact that he can drop down elbows punches and pull of numberous submissions.

Also, there have been times where i have been poked in the eye and still kept fighting. Once I scratched my cornia during training and still finished the fight and then went to the hospital after.

I would not spend anytime on practicing eye-gouging, also I dont need a teacher to teach me how to hurt somebody by poking or scratching their eye.

Also, in my opinion, if the only techniques you are learning are eye-gouges, throat and groin strikes, you may be at a McDojo, and should consider checking out other schools.
    After reading back over the posts, I think I was hostile in my statements. I do not use martial arts to compete, I take it for health and self-defense. I noticed that quite a few people compete here and do not probably use soft organ strikes, so people tend to forget about them. Groin kicks, eye gouges and throat strikes are taught in more than one martial art. Same as pressure points and chokes. They are valuable in self defense, that was my goal. I do not compete and am taught not to fight unless I have to. We do learn forms and weapons, but we stress self defense. I am taught not to go to the ground if I can avoid it. We do train in some ground fighting, but not heavily. We do not stress fancy forms like many of the kung fu schools today. We stress self defense, that is different style than competition. We do spar practicing these things, they seem effective for self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleveland
    Who said that those are the only techniques my sifu teaches? Do you read? I never said MMA was ineffective! To clarify for you, I should of said that many MMA fighters who compete do not practice eye gouges, because they cannot use them in competition. And after your experience, you went to the hospital? During many MMA competitions, they stop the fight when someone is poked in the eye, they don't in a street fight! I was just trying to say that eye gouges can be effective in self defense. I don't know how we got into controlling and submissions. That is great for competition, but if you were attacked by multiple people, you will lose trying to mount someone! As for your experience, you were poked in the eye and kept fighting. How many times did you get punched in the fight? That was probably less painful and less effective if eyepokes sent you
    to the hospital!
    Also, I don't think name dropping matters, but my sifu is a 4th degree black sash, certified 3 times at the Shaolin temples, including Wudang Mountain. He is also a 3rd degree blackbelt in Shorin-Ryu. We train for self defense, not competition. There is a difference. Groin kicks, throat strikes and eye gouges are very effective in street fights. How many have you taken in your MMA career?
    First of all, i have been poked in the eye, punched in the throat, and kicked in the groin. These are just things that happen by accident while sparring. Yeah they all suck, but there is no guarantee that any of those techniques will end a fight. In fact, if someone did any of those things to me in a real fight I am 100% positive that I would keep fighting. How do I know this, because they have happened to me and I dont stop. Same goes with finger and toe breaks, broken nose, etc. I have been training for the past 3 months with a broken finger.

If I was fighting someone in the street and that person tried to gouge my eyes, or bite me (these are the two examples im using because I definetely will not let someone punch me in the throat or kick me in the groin) I would probably either choke him unconcious and then break both his arms, or just keep choking him till his brain stops working. A tight rear-naked choke will put you out in 3 seconds, it is a scary feeling when your opponent will not let go.

Also, If you are being attacked by multiple attackers, dont think that because you learned how to poke someone in the eye, you will be able to beat up two guys at once. I suggest you learn how to fight one person first, before you learn to fight two or more.

Im not trying to say that you shouldnt train the way you do, im just saying that you should think a little more realistic about fighting. When somebody is truly intent on hurting you, an eye-gouge might not finish the fight, but a rear-naked choke will put anyone out, no matter what state of mind they are in.

I have no mma career, I have no interest (as of now, maybe if pay goes up) to fight mma. I have trained with many mma guys, including fighters who have fought in ufc, pride, pancrase, and abu-dhabi.

Anyway, I am probably wasteing my time talking to you, you sound brainwashed and close minded, and will never change your thoughts on this.
    Last edited by Dragon Warrior; 08-05-2006 at 09:26 AM.

It's not the techniques (Eye gouges, chokes etc...) that matter, But your ability to deliver them, and not get KFO in the process that counts.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon
    It's not the techniques (Eye gouges, chokes etc...) that matter, But your ability to deliver them, and not get KFO in the process that counts.
    Amen to that.

but my sifu is a 4th degree black sash, certified 3 times at the Shaolin temples, including Wudang Mountain.

Shaolin Temple @ Wudanshan?

You sure?
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

Wudangshan ... fodangshan ... whatever dang shan you want, why do people always think that the martial arts are better in China? Shaolin had, what, 4 old monks left when the Chinese government decided they could teach martial arts again?

Anyway I hope all the martial arts teachers go out of business. I'm so tired of them and their classes and dictating to people what they should be doing, and telling people stuff just to make money.

Once we leave our McDojo I'm never going back to schools again.

China is filled with all colors of modern Wushu but there is still real Gong Fu there.

Good point.

[QUOTE=

Anyway I hope all the martial arts teachers go out of business. I'm so tired of them and their classes and dictating to people what they should be doing, and telling people stuff just to make money.

Once we leave our McDojo I'm never going back to schools again.[/QUOTE]

Agreed, that's why I train at a school that only teaches technique, instead of trying to tell me how to live my life.

After reading back over the posts, I think I was hostile in my statements. I do not use martial arts to compete, I take it for health and self-defense. I noticed that quite a few people compete here and do not probably use soft organ strikes, so people tend to forget about them. Groin kicks, eye gouges and throat strikes are taught in more than one martial art. Same as pressure points and chokes. They are valuable in self defense, that was my goal. I do not compete and am taught not to fight unless I have to. We do learn forms and weapons, but we stress self defense. I am taught not to go to the ground if I can avoid it. We do train in some ground fighting, but not heavily. We do not stress fancy forms like many of the kung fu schools today. We stress self defense, that is different style than competition. We do spar practicing these things, they seem effective for self defense.
    How do you practice eye-gouges when sparring?
    Also, no offense but why would you pay someone to teach you how to kick to the groin and poke someone in the eye. You seem very confident in these techniques, it must be something your teacher highly focuses on.

First of all, i have been poked in the eye, punched in the throat, and kicked in the groin. These are just things that happen by accident while sparring. Yeah they all suck, but there is no guarantee that any of those techniques will end a fight. In fact, if someone did any of those things to me in a real fight I am 100% positive that I would keep fighting. How do I know this, because they have happened to me and I dont stop. Same goes with finger and toe breaks, broken nose, etc. I have been training for the past 3 months with a broken finger.

If I was fighting someone in the street and that person tried to gouge my eyes, or bite me (these are the two examples im using because I definetely will not let someone punch me in the throat or kick me in the groin) I would probably either choke him unconcious and then break both his arms, or just keep choking him till his brain stops working. A tight rear-naked choke will put you out in 3 seconds, it is a scary feeling when your opponent will not let go.

Also, If you are being attacked by multiple attackers, dont think that because you learned how to poke someone in the eye, you will be able to beat up two guys at once. I suggest you learn how to fight one person first, before you learn to fight two or more.

Im not trying to say that you shouldnt train the way you do, im just saying that you should think a little more realistic about fighting. When somebody is truly intent on hurting you, an eye-gouge might not finish the fight, but a rear-naked choke will put anyone out, no matter what state of mind they are in.

I have no mma career, I have no interest (as of now, maybe if pay goes up) to fight mma. I have trained with many mma guys, including fighters who have fought in ufc, pride, pancrase, and abu-dhabi.

Anyway, I am probably wasteing my time talking to you, you sound brainwashed and close minded, and will never change your thoughts on this.

I still think you are missing my point. I never said eye gouges willl fend off multiple attackers! I respect any martial art, whether it is modern or ancient. But my goal in a fight is to stay on my feet! I don't think there is any one technique that is definite, including a rear naked choke. I WAS MERELY STATING THAT THESE CAN BE SELF DEFENSE TOOLS. You can fight through anything if you are tough enough. Anyone serious martial artist has trained hurt, it comes with the package.
    I am realistic about fighting. I would use any means necessary to win a fight! In a street fight, there is no need to look pretty, just win. You stated you definately would not let someone kick you in the groin, or punch you in the throat. There are no sure things. There is nothing wrong with practicing defense against ALL TYPES OF ATTACKS. I am not a ground fighter, but we do practice some.
    I am by no means close-minded! You are the one who is telling me what will work and won't work. I am by no means brainwashed, I am open to ALL techniques!

How do you practice eye-gouges when sparring?
    Also, no offense but why would you pay someone to teach you how to kick to the groin and poke someone in the eye. You seem very confident in these techniques, it must be something your teacher highly focuses on.
    You can't practice eye gouges when sparring, but we practice kicks to the groin and some light throat strikes. He teaches alot of things, I WAS MERELY STATING THAT THESE CAN BE USED FOR SELF DEFENSE. No one said these are the end-all techniques. I did't say he focuses on these, he just stresses that they can be useful in a STREET FIGHT. There is just a difference in the way we train, we should leave it at that.

That was my view. Any technique is effective if you can use them properly and with enough power. Whether you are in kung fu, TKD, JJ, or anything else. That is maybe a better way to state this.