Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: best styles of Grappling?

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com

best styles of Grappling?

This isn't a troll thread, or a who is better thread. Iam interested in developing a better ground game so I would like to know what you think the pros and cons of the various schools are. So far I am interested in :
    Silat
    Gracie BJJ
    Machado BJJ

The main cons I see with Gracie JJ is the insane cost of instruction. I always tell people to just learn Judo and/or Wrestling. Its a heck of a lot cheaper, and more than likely you'll run into a bjj practioner since so many cross-train in Judo and Wrestling and vice versa.

In my opinion
    no-gi submission grappling.

My submission club is like that, active rolling, no belts, prepreation for competing.
    Bless you

I honestly don't mean this as an insult, but you are too old to start Wrestling or Judo now.

Go with BJJ

I think Judo is the best for the street. You can become a master at throws, which is probably safer on the street. The ground work has a lot of great hold down which can be a safe way to end a fight without to much damage. And also it is cheap. I was going to a Judo school in NYC for 40$ a month. The teacher is a 6th degree black belt in his 60's and still competes.

I preffer judo as well. It's better to keep your feet if at all possible. Judo will teach you to do that, with the added bonus of teaching you what to do if you do go to the ground. In judo the goal of your ground game is either to restrain your opponent, or get up quickly. In BJJ once you hit the ground you tend to stay there; BIG no-no on the street. Too much chest thumping in Gracie JJ for my taste anyway.

And you aren't too old for judo either.

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Jack View Post
    And you aren't too old for judo either.

50 years old starting for the first time? What are you, a hip-replacement salesman?

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    50 years old starting for the first time? What are you, a hip-replacement salesman?
    Bear in mind that Ten Tigers is also in much better shape than your average 50 y.o. and an experienced MA. If it didn't make a difference, then judo teachers would all be in thier 30's.

Listen carefully, I'm talking about starting in one's 50s. No, it's not impossible or anything, but strategic choices should be made.

For example, I know people in their 50s who still wrestle, but they started 40+ years ago and know how to adjust for the issues that age bring to the situation. Someone starting wrestling at 50 is almost certainly going to get hurt alot and not get all that good at it anyway.

If anyone is interested look up Geprge Pasiuk in NYC. He was my teacher the 6th degree black belt who still competes. This is not a hard core judo school. You won't get injured there. The people are really nice also. This club has people who are training there that are in their 50's. I can think of two off the top of my head.

Well, perhaps at the judo school you trained at, this would be true. In my experience judo is much easier on the body than BJJ. After reconsidering, I concede that any style can be dangerous for any beginner, at any age, if the training is not graded to the physical ability of the practitioner.

So the best policy is probably to go and see how the individual teacher trains his students.

Search not only for a school that teaches quality ground techniques but also anti-ground techniques (in other words how to avoid going to the ground).

Oh brother, let's not start in on the 'anti-grapple' myth again!

So nothing can stop grappling? I can think of a few things off the top of my head... bullets, pointy objects, getting the he1l outta the way...
    "Prepare your mind..." "For a mind explosion!"
    -The Human Giant, Illusionators

and the bullets will work too...

Quote Originally Posted by Travesty View Post
    So nothing can stop grappling? ...

Yeah, better grappling. Not empty marketing slogans.