Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: best styles of Grappling?

Quote Originally Posted by TAO YIN View Post
    One terrible shot wins the fight. One terrible submission wins the fight.

Who said that?

Touched a nerve on me. Not "I touched a nerve w/you."

Sigh.

But to answer the rest of it, I don't put things in boxes, nor do I advocate grappling as "the answer." It's part of a total package.

Sound delivery system - that's it. Don't care what it is somebody does/doesn't do as long as they throwdown with partners under something simulating reality - if they are claiming to "learn to fight."

Me? I suffer no illusions as to what I do. I'm mostly a sport grappler. I don't pretend to train for fighting. I'm not in this for self-defense or "reality."

My only "box" is that if you want to effectively employ stand-up striking, you need to stay on your feet, know how to get up. If you want to effectively employ grappling strategies, you need to know how to take somebody down.

That's pretty much it.

But whatever floats your boat in your post bro. Enjoy.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster View Post
    Wow! Where are you training?!

I'm not trying to be a ****, I mean that seriously.... IME Judo is probably one of the hardest, bone crunching, joint-messing-up things out there.

Just really WOW.

Perhaps you just fall a hell of a lot better than me or something.

Haha. Well, first off, I probably do fall better than most because I used to be thrown about twice as often as my peers.

Anyhow, I was going to get all indignant and mention how I did judo between the ages of nine and twenty five and wrestled in high school and blah blah blah... but then I realized that in spite of the years I have practiced judo, I have no idea what I'm talking about! I've never tried the art as an older person, and my body was considerably more flexible and resilient than it is today. So I'll concede to those with more extensive grappling experience than I have. I still plan on taking judo up again though as soon as I reach shodan in aikido.

It'll be fun to be matched against young brown belts who think the old white belt will be a piece of cake... maybe I'll actually start winning for a change. Then again I may just break easier.

a judo class gave me a concussion. It is brain rattling. There are some JJ/ grappling schools where they do a lot of cross-training in Judo.
    this school's teacher has a black belt in Judo (but doesn't teach it at his school because of his close proximity to his Judo masters school)
    www.steelcitymartialarts.com
    Sometimes BJJ schools don't train takedowns very well, it all depends on where you go.
    Bless you

Honestly, I believe it is good to have an understanding of the grappling arts. Mainly, you should know what to look for when you're up against a grappler, how to get out of his techniques or avoid them all together. I have been training in stand up arts for about 15 years and I have trained in brazillian jiu jitsu/ MMA. Let me tell you ground fighting and grappling is not the answer to all confrontations. It should not even be an option in a real street fight, especially if there is potential for multiple opponents. What good is doing an arm bar on one guy while you have one guy stomping on your in the face and another kicking you in the ribs? If a man takes me to the ground I'm going to jam my thumb into his eye, bite his face or do whatever I have to do to get back on my feet. Sure grappling has its place, I'm a firm believer in that. Presently, all you hear about is grappling like it's something new or something. Grappling has been around every bit as long as the striking arts have. It just happens to be the "flavor of the month." Not that it's a great example of this, but look at who's winning a majority of the MMA matches and how they're winning. Chuck Liddell, hmmm, striker. Matt Hughes, sure he's great grappler, as a matter of fact he's probably one of the best wrestlers in the country in his weight class. But let me ask you, how did he beat Royce Gracie, one of the most reknown grapplers in the world? The answer is ground and pound. I'm not trying to talk **** or anything, but what good does it do knowing all the grappling techniques in the world if you get knocked out? If you do end up on the ground and someone does put you in an arm bar, I guarantee that they're going to let go when you bite a chunk out of their leg. If you plan on doing it competitively in jiu jitsu competition then I'm all for that, and I hope you have a fun time with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Merryprankster View Post
    What we are saying Tao Yin, is that Anti-Grappling is a myth. It's a stupid awful, bull**** myth
    I disagree. I think there are valid forms of "anti-grappling" that are not merely defensive wrestling.

Quote Originally Posted by franco1688 View Post
    But let me ask you, how did he beat Royce Gracie, one of the most reknown grapplers in the world? The answer is ground and pound.
    Contrary to your statement, methinks you haven't done any BJJ.

Matt beat Royce with classic BJJ strategy... takedown; pass the guard; control and look for submisions in side mount; work to improve position to mount/back mount; finish on back with hooks in with either strikes or RNC.

If you do end up on the ground and someone does put you in an arm bar, I guarantee that they're going to let go when you bite a chunk out of their leg.
    In my experience, people who bite when put into an arm bar usually get their arms broken.

Oh, not again...

What good is doing an arm bar on one guy while you have one guy stomping on your in the face and another kicking you in the ribs? If a man takes me to the ground I'm going to jam my thumb into his eye, bite his face or do whatever I have to do to get back on my feet.

Last edited by unkokusai; 09-06-2006 at 09:16 PM.

kiddie hour

If you do end up on the ground and someone does put you in an arm bar, I guarantee that they're going to let go when you bite a chunk out of their leg.

Ugh.............................

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    I disagree. I think there are valid forms of "anti-grappling" that are not merely defensive wrestling.

Did they give you a free T-shirt at the end of the seminar?

Fights go to the ground (whether we want them to or not, even someone with good 'take down defenses go there) so if you are training to be proficient in fighting, you need to train on the ground. One can have the goal of returning to their feet (as mentioned positional strategy is the heart of BJJ) or you can learn what to do on the ground. Jamming thumbs in eyes, biting, and whatever else are tactics that will get you hurt by a grappler. Seriously hurt.
    Bless you

Quote Originally Posted by unkokusai View Post
    Did they give you a free T-shirt at the end of the seminar?
    Actually, I could teach a seminar in it if I wanted. In a few hours, I could have most strikers shutting down the takedowns of the majority of grapplers.

Do you fight/compete? In your seminar would skilled wrestlers be allowed to try to take you down? I highly doubt it. We could all teach something with an opponent who isn't live (this is what you do if he punches 'leaves front hand hanging out there') If you don't have any real experience, please don't make such claims.
    Bless you

ai-ya~

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Actually, I could teach a seminar in it if I wanted. In a few hours, I could have most strikers shutting down the takedowns of the majority of grapplers.

If by 'the majority of grapplers' you mean some majority whose takedown skills were also gained in some three-hour seminar/scam, then you are probably right.

I have trained brazillian jiu jitsu and I currently train in mma. I have fought bjj, mma, karate, kung fu/san shou, professional boxing fighters. An arm bar can be easily prevented, one just needs to know how to defend against it. No matter what fantasies martial arts theories create for people, whatever the "flavor of the month" may be, the only thing an opponent is going to care about when my thumb is in their eye socket tickling their skull, is "***** I gotta get this finger outta my eye." Me thinks knifefighter has never been in a real (non-competition) fight in his life if he thinks otherwise. Maybe if your lucky, someday I can give you a lesson on how to fight.