Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: best styles of Grappling?

I totally agree that jiu jitsu does have it's place in certain situations on the street. Having trained in jiu jitsu (and chin na), I found myself using various techniques successfully as a bouncer. I just get so tired of hearing about bjj this and bjj that. I can't argue with the fact that slamming an opponent on to concrete is going to cause some serious damage, but I will say that going to the ground is a bad idea on the street. Sure it can happen and it does pay off knowing how to handle yourself on the ground, but in most situations you don't want to spend time working a submission (or a break) because there is a good possibility you'll get attacked by your opponent's buddy.

-Life is a mad dance, cursed by horrifying moments of sanity. -Edgar Allen Poe

Merryprankster, this is kind of off the subject, but I read your profile and you stated that you are in the coast guard. I tried to enlist with my local recruiter and he said he couldn't help me because I have a tattoo that wraps around my forearm. What are your thoughts on this? Couldn't I get a waiver?

In all honesty, I really don't care if you're convinced or not. If I'm correct on my definition of a troll, it appears to me that you're the one that is a troll. I've read some of your other posts and it seems like all you do is talk s**t. Apparently you're nothing more than a computer warrior. I get so tired of dealing with turds, it's unbelivable.

Quote Originally Posted by franco1688 View Post
    Apparently you're nothing more than a computer warrior.
    Computer warriers think that biting will get them out of an armlock.
    Those who have actually trained on the ground against knowledgeable ground fighters know that it will more than likely result in getting one's arm broken.

The problem really comes from people not paying enough attention to their own styles. Like BJJ, it is in many places a sport art now, but it was originally developed for 'no rules' fighting. Same with kung fu, shaolin was a complete style, but nowadays people just focus on all the flashy parts. Theres groundfighting there if you look in the forms. People are so busy looking outward for the secret to becoming a complete fighter that they dont take the time to look inward.

Franco,

I have no idea. I've never heard anything about that before, and I know plenty of guys with forearm tattoos.
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli