Thread: OT: DVD burner/player

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

OT: DVD burner/player

needed to buy a new dvd player for the school (gotta keep 'em psyched up with repeated veiwing of "Fearless Hyena'' dontcha know) and went to BB to pick up a cheapie and saw this

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1152228787065

Cnet has a couple of reviews for other LiteOn products that are ok..but nothing for this model. Anyone have it or seen it used?
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

If you aren't going to use it at home, why pay more? You can get a decent DVD player for $50 or less at any Wal-Mart. Unless you have this thing hooked up to cable, you won't be able to record anything, anyway.
    He most honors my style who learns under it to destroy the teacher. -- Walt Whitman

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson View Post
    As a mod, I don't have to explain myself to you.

yea, but I've got 30+ VHS tapes that I'd love to transfer to DVD to make it easier to go back and check details on forms and stuff.

like I said, they had a cheapie for like $47 but only less than double that for one that will record as well seems like the way to go...
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

ok, just went and got it after classes today.

hooked it up and am hopefully transferring my first vhs to dvd.

it's a pretty hot unit...nice solid feel to it though that doesn't necessarily mean squat.

came with remote, batteries, power cable, standard av cable and a coax cable.

it has front inputs for both standard av and dv so you can burn straight from a dv camera. rear outputs for standard av, comp outs and dig audio out as well as coax cable pass through. it's pass through only and won't play dvd out on the coax.

the guy at BB said that LiteOn was a subsidiary of LG so, hopefully it will last a good while.

my hesitation cost me $6 though, it went off sale and back to $99. Still, I think if it proves reliable and I get 2 years out of it and can burn my vhs collection to DVD within that time, it's a good deal.

First, I hateLiteOn. For the past four years, I've worked for RadioShack, and sold many hundreds of the LiteOn products.

They are crap. They start great, but after around 10 or so VHS to DVD conversions, you'll notice a lot of grainy imagery, and a lot more unit warmth.

The BEST VHS to DVD dub I've ever used is this. Lot more money, but lasts forever.

I know it says In Store only, but any corporate RadioShack can ICST one from another store, even if it's in a different district or region.

Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    ok, just went and got it after classes today.

hooked it up and am hopefully transferring my first vhs to dvd.

it's a pretty hot unit...nice solid feel to it though that doesn't necessarily mean squat.

came with remote, batteries, power cable, standard av cable and a coax cable.

it has front inputs for both standard av and dv so you can burn straight from a dv camera. rear outputs for standard av, comp outs and dig audio out as well as coax cable pass through. it's pass through only and won't play dvd out on the coax.

the guy at BB said that LiteOn was a subsidiary of LG so, hopefully it will last a good while.

my hesitation cost me $6 though, it went off sale and back to $99. Still, I think if it proves reliable and I get 2 years out of it and can burn my vhs collection to DVD within that time, it's a good deal.
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

ok, fine, where the hell were you two weeks ago?

Cnet give 6.0 and better ratings on their products.