Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "choy lee fut kung fu" the Movie

You can also see the girl, Yeung Pan Pan in the Shaw Brothers movies Lion vs. Lion and Kid from Kwantung. She is also in Duel of the Seven Tigers, which also starred Cliff Lok as well as my sifu and other notable masters including Chan Sau Chung, Chiu Chi Ling, Seen Lam Yuk and others.

sweet

she is in lion vs. lion, I have that on vid tape and havvn"t watched in forever, thanks!
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

I have this movie. I think it's only okay. I am also a CLF practitioner and wished they had a real CLF stylist be the star. Cliff Lok did okay, though, but IMO too much acrobatics thrown into the CLF.

In fact, if they weren't going to use Lee Koon Hung (who was in the movie) as the star, I think Phillip Ko, the villain, would have made a better star, as he was a CLF practitioner himself.

I hear there was a Shaw Brothers movie called Choy Lee Fut starring Alexander Fu Sheng, but have never seen any sign of it nor heard any details about it. Sounds like it would have been a better movie, probably.

Cliff Lok lists his actual system as Liu He Ba Fa, of Six Harnomies, Eight Methods, or at least a version of it, which might explain why he seems a bit odd doing CLF.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-02-2006 at 05:10 PM.

The Shaw Brothers movie is also okay. Fu Sheng is always entertaining and does a better job in my opinion than Cliff Lok. Also since it is a Shaw movie it has a better budget and overall look. Since you are a CLF player you should pick it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
    I have this movie. I think it's only okay. I am also a CLF practitioner and wished they had a real CLF stylist be the star. Cliff Lok did okay, though, but IMO too much acrobatics thrown into the CLF.

In fact, if they weren't going to use Lee Koon Hung (who was in the movie) as the star, I think Phillip Ko, the villain, would have made a better star, as he was a CLF practitioner himself.

I hear there was a Shaw Brothers movie called Choy Lee Fut starring Alexander Fu Sheng, but have never seen any sign of it nor heard any details about it. Sounds like it would have been a better movie, probably.

Cliff Lok lists his actual system as Liu He Ba Fa, of Six Harnomies, Eight Methods, or at least a version of it, which might explain why he seems a bit odd doing CLF.

THAT MAY BE THE ONE IN THE RARESCOPE TRAILER!!!!!!!!!

I haven't watched those trailers in a while but I figured they were re-releasing the lok movie. Maybe it is the fu sheng one. And I will remain the only one who loved the movie clf kung fu. Cliff Lok just overly impressed me. Maybe it is just because he is usually so hoirrible.
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

Actually his CLF is pretty bad, his movement and flow are all wrong but it is just a movie.

I don't really know what CLF looks like but Cliff Lok was sweet in that movie. You made me people watch it AGAIN but it was still the shlt.

YOU ARE ALL WRONG!!!!!!!!!

Just watched the Rarescope DVD and I would like to know if any of you would say the same thing abotu Cliff Lok after watchign him perform at like age 50 in the interview on this release. He doesn't exactly look like an acrobat anymore but his form is PERFECT. Just like it was in CLF. While you say Phillip Ko should have been the lead becasue he practiced CLF, Cliff Lok actually practiced CLF and many other styles longer and overall knew the art a lot better than Phillip Ko. Ko practiced a few styles, one was CLF, but briefly. Sort of Leung Kar Yan he just picked things up on set fast and looked brilliant on screen. Cliff Lok plays the part in this movie perfectly and makes it a classic. I love how serious he is in many scenes. So anyway get the rarescope DVD(it's like $7 new and 3 used), watch the interview(and demo), and then just try to tell me that Cliff Lok is not right for this part.

the flick with a.fu sheng is re-released from celestial under the title new shaolin boxers...

Thanks Laukarbo, I will have to check it out. I have never heard anybody ever talk abotu it, even on the kung fu fandom site.

new shaolin boxers movie comparison

just finished watching it (with fu sheng) and i must say i enjoyed this way better then clf the movie. i thought fu sheng's clf looked a lot crisper, and i enjoyed the way his training sequences were interspersed with the actual fight scenes. while they did not show as much of the 'old school' style training background, i agree that in the training sequences in cliff lok's movie there was too much time focused on acrobatics as opposed to clf type techniques.

also, is it just me or did the opening sequence to new shaolin boxers almost seem cgi-ish, almost as if it was taken out of tekken? at first i wasnt sure if it was my cpu or the movie, but then i realized it was just the dark background giving the effect.

I have heard that New Shaolin Boxers is one of fu Sheng's best. I will have to check it out some time.