Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Tension

If you don't mind my asking, what is "CTS" an abbreviation for?

TCB

When you say it's ridiulously easy to activate the system how do you go about it?

I'm guessing it has to be a physical and mental pursuit and maybe hard to explain but could you shed some light on this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by TaiChiBob

Once you learn to activate the system (and it's ridiculously easy) it's almost a no-brainer to equate the sensation to the most valid feeling of "Peng" you have ever experienced.. trusting the CTS to work under bizarre circumstances (testing its limits), we stand with our feet together, activate the system, and.. stand in amazement as people apply tremendous pressure pushing our center to no avail, and with little to no active resistance.. the "Tensegrity" absorbs the energy and distributes it throughout the whole system, ultimately driving it into the ground and further stabilizing the apparent weak stance.. such a unique feeling..

Thanks, and.. Be well...

Greetings..

Hi Omar: CTS.. Connective Tissue System.. review the whole thread and you will get an idea of its role in our discussion.. Thanks for asking, though..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish
    If you don't mind my asking, what is "CTS" an abbreviation for?
    i think it's "connective tissue system"?

Quote Originally Posted by Gabe
    n the best tai chi I have seen in person or on video, the practitioners are all about alignment... In action, the push hands is all about leverage and alignment- and definite rooting... However, I have not seen any tai chi, even among the greats that I have watched, not use alignment or root in power delivery or in push hands.
    Can you explain this in relation to this clip from about 1:20 on?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEB9dmmJU6A

Quote Originally Posted by TaiChiBob
    Greetings..

Hi Omar: CTS.. Connective Tissue System.. review the whole thread and you will get an idea of its role in our discussion.. Thanks for asking, though..

Be well..
    You mean like that Mike Sigman stuff?

Greetings..

Hi Ronin22: Well, this is just an example, but.. have someone stand in front of you and place their right hand on your left shoulder.. then, hold out your right arm at about 45° from srtaight ahead, parallel to the ground.. then, have them use 2 fingers and apply downward pressure at your wrist as you resist.. note how much pressure is needed to push your arm down... Next, repeat that exercise, except this time point, with your index finger, at a fixed distant object.. don't concentrate on the finger, just point at the object with a mediocre intensity, feeling the "tingle" on the palm side of the index finger.. note the difference in pressure required to push your arm downward.. which requires more pressure?

After you try this example, we can talk more about this unique effect.. and how it relates to the CTS..

Be well....

Greetings..

Hi Omar:
    Can you explain this in relation to this clip from about 1:20 on?
    Watch the older gentleman carefully, notice how often he "points" with his index finger.. each time he does that he re-establishes "energetic coherence".. note how he doesn't attempt to force or take contrived stances, he relies on natural movements, the ones his body has done for a lifetime.. he holds the elbows then "lifts the punch-bowl into the cabinet", a perfectly natural movement, free of "conflict"...

I pushed with Mike about 15 years ago, but can't really say.. i am not familiar with his current stuff.. he was very good back then, though..

Be well...
    Last edited by TaiChiBob; 08-08-2006 at 08:42 AM.

Thanks TCB

I'll give it a shot later and let you know what happens

The goal of high level masters is not to have "no tension" in their muscles. The goal is to be empty in their form, which Scott essentially said earlier in his array of posts. I have a friend who in a fight tore out the nerves of his brachial plexes on his right side, meaning C4-C8 on his spinal cord no longer have the nerves connected to him. He has truly NO TENSION at all in his right arm.

He cannot flex, lift or even move his right arm whatsoever without the assistance of his left arm. He is completely paralyzed and thus has no tension and no ability to create tension. This is an extreme case but I'm using it to illustrate that having no tension at all is not the goal.

Check out this video, to me it looks like he is not rooted at all?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_xR32OJk0c

Here's another .......looks like some of those guys are applying some real resistance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGHnusy2n38

Greetings..

Videos, some good, some well.. different.. but, i have experienced some of this unique internal stuff.. usually on the receiving end.. it's quite real! The Tao, Universe, etc.. will give you what you believe it will, so.. keep the faith!

Be well..

That first video is hard to determine anything since the student is so jumpy and rooted terribly. He's a scared wus of the guy and you learn very little.

The second video is a lot more interesting but the crux of it is that they are all his students, so there is little way to determine for certain without feeling his energy or being there in person whether or not his techniques are actually admissable. However, he does display good postures and structure in his poses and when he has the group laying against him and clears upwards, demonstrates about the only way you could effectively clear all those people off in a single movement, so he has some skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin22
    Here's another .......looks like some of those guys are applying some real resistance

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGHnusy2n38

On this one, I see him drop and drive. Impressive though.

The second one, I can't even comprehend if it's even real.

The first one from Omar, I don't see the internal power release. I don't see what he's doing to the younger guy. Call me stupid but I don't see it. I do see him drop his elbows and lean into the other guy, but he just seems to be explaining stuff and the other guys doesn't appear to be resisting or trying anything at all. Maybe you can point out a specific segment.