Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruce lee foundation

Bruce lee foundation

Who should be certified under this and why?

Kent

I just think it's a shame that, in the Foundation's Bruce Lee bio, they still maintain that his fight with Wong Jack Man was over the right to teach Quilo. They do this even though in last months issue of KF magazine, David Chin said that he felt the fight went both ways and that it wasn't about racism at all!! You'd think that Linda Lee and friends would stop making themselves look bad by modifying their account of the whole thing.

Since this new, revamped, "Foundation" is in it's infancy I'm hoping that they change their views on this significant conflict (it was especially significant for Bruce Lee since he completely changed his whole fighting style after fighting Wong).
    Last edited by Siu Lum Fighter; 08-06-2006 at 02:34 PM.
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

you say

This was not the question posed.

To address your statement- Were you there for the fight? You trust one version and discredit the other version. Each camp has eyewitnesses that were there and back that sides version up. The reason Lee changed was to be more economical in fighting. You waste alot of energy fighting the way he fought. JKD has no wasted motion or wierd stances such as the horse stance that I have seen. The truth is it doesn't matter how close or quick the fight was or why it even happened; Bruce Lee won.

Question when did you start training with Wong? His views may have changed since then.

Kent

Linda Lee and her ilk are out to make $$ - what is so hard to understand about that. They are selling Bruce Lee the Name, Image, and Legend. They are not interested in honestly educating anyone, and they dont care if you like it or not.

What does who fought who and won or didnt win for whatever reason have to do with your training? For some weird reason, does the Bruce Lee myth somehow factor in to your training matrix?

wtf?

strike!

myth or not myth

yenhoi- fighter and i were not talking about training. He did not answer the question just as you have not. He stated his belief and I countered with mine. The so called Lee myth, as you put it, has no bearing on my training nor does the BLEF. So that is wtf.

Siu Lim Fighter- Bruce never was down on wing chun. He improved upon what he knew. The JKD base is wing chun with elements of western boxing and fencing. I even train with the Sil Lim Tao form. Taky never sought the lime light and unless your are deep into this art most people will not no who he is. Ted Wong I do not know that much about.

As far as the incident goes this happened how many years ago? Why is it still being brought up, out into the public, today after the death of Bruce Lee? If your Sifu or anyone else for that matter wanted to address this on a national scale it should have been done prior to "73". Again youe beleif is yours ; mine is mine.

Kent

This is the nonsensimicalness I was responding to mostly:

His views haven't changed on whether or not he lost. Sifu Wong is an honest man with integrity. I believe his version of the fight, hands down. He got Bruce Lee's head locked up three times. It would've have been just like him to have let him go every time, rather than give him a finishing blow to the head (and believe me, he could have easily killed Bruce with one such strike). It's my belief that Wong Sifu was just a nicer guy. He originally just wanted to spar with Bruce, but Bruce had ego problems and went a little crazy (as if he was trying to kill Wong). From Wong Jack Man and William Chen's accounts it would seem as though Wong Sifu could've kept fighting. It was Bruce who, by his own account, was "unusually winded".

Perhaps Bruce, who always tried to make himself look good (not just good but "invincible"), realized that it would've seemed like he had the upper hand at the point when HE decided to stop fighting. So they both discussed not mentioning the incident with anyone. Really, why would Bruce be so down on himself and renounce Wing Chun altogether right after this particular fight. And why would he not respond at all to Wong's public challenge after Bruce started propping himself up as the winner. It is widely accepted that Wong held back the whole time. Perhaps it wouldn't have been that way in the rematch. But, since Bruce made no response, we'll never know. It's worth noting that, after Wong's challenge Bruce never publicly mentioned the whole matter again while he was alive.

I would be seriously shocked and amazed if this poster has ever had any contact whatsoever with Bruce Lee. This sounds like the kind of brainwashing-cult-speak-nonsense a Wong Jack Man camper would spew because someone told it to him.

How could anyone except for the very few people directly involved know and say for certain exactly what happened, blow for blow, in any fight that happened some 30+ years ago? AND on top of that, exactly, word for word, what was said before/during/after the fight??

In the real-world outside of martial arts cult-land this is known as "silly-talk."

strike!

O.K., let's not get excited. I was merely pointing out what I did not like about what's in BL's bio on the new website for this, "Foundation." Which, as you said, yenhoi, seems to be a way for Linda Lee and friends to make lots of cash. They've always exploited the conflict with Wong Sifu for years and it really ticks me off, that's all.

Once again, I'm wondering why Dan Inosanto isn't involved. I read somewhere that he may have had a falling out with Linda at some point. Whatever the reason, he seems to be keeping his distance from the whole thing. Why?
    The three components of combat are 1) Speed, 2) Guts and 3) Techniques. All three components must go hand in hand. One component cannot survive without the others." (WJM - June 14, 1974)

hmmmm

I'm sorry but the quote i read earlier on saying "it didn't matter how long/quick the fight took, Bruce Lee won" is just arrogant, as most people know by now heavily incorrect.
    It is well known now that it was a draw, no one outright won, and that Linda Lee made some ashamedly poor embellishments on the whole incident.
    Neither one had an advantage over the other conclusively as William Chen who was a witness there validified.

LInda Lee is an ebmarassement as her blinded (by bucks I dare say!) comments evolved in as many times as she wanted to resale the fight details.

The boigraphic film Little Dragon was always a fun film to watch but 90% fictional.
    " Don't confuse yourself with someone who has something to say " - The Fall

" I do not like your tone/ It has ephemeral whingeing aspects " - The Fall

" There are twelve people in the world/ The rest are paste " - Mark E Smith

Bruce Lee became a movie star and created a huge meandering political martial arts empire, and he "said" it all originated at that fight. Id say he won the fight also, although Im sure Mr Wong didnt do so badly from it all either.

Why does it matter what happened with Dan and Linda?

"Bruce Lee" is such a small part of the whole "jkd world" nowadays.

If you meet jesus, kill him.

strike!

Wong Jack Man vs. Bruce Lee has been discussed here many times. If you look at William Chen's story, it can match with Wong Jack Man's account but not with Bruce Lee's. Ming Lum also says that the only evidence of combat that Wong Jack Man had the day after the fight was a scratch above the eye. Wong Jack Man says this was the result of Bruce thrusting his fingers at Wong's eyes during a friendly pre-fight gesture. Also, read David Chin's account of the fight. http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/maga...hp?article=661

Based on the information I've seen, it seems to me that the fight had nothing to do with teaching non-Chinese. Bruce Lee himself was 25% Caucasian. If some of the claims I've come across were true, Yip Man wouldn't have taught him Wing Chun.
    Last edited by The Xia; 09-08-2007 at 12:07 PM.

Props to Bruce

I just thought it should be further noted that Wong Jack Man held Bruce Lee in high regard and doesn't blame him for anything. I also have to admit that I wasn't there and everything I say on the matter is either hearsay or influenced by articles and comments people have left on previous posts.

I really don't want to put Bruce down. I actually respect his nack for innovation and his film presence still stands the test of time. It's just regrettable that Linda Lee has to paint Wong Jack Man out to be such a villain, that's all. I maintain that the fight was a draw. Also, I can't deny that Bruce had some skills. He must have if he was able to take on a Grandmaster at his point of developemant . It's too bad they weren't able to have their rematch (since Bruce died 9 years after). It remains a fascinating part of the Bruce Lee legend.

Yeah, "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story" depicts Wong as a real villain. Unfortunately, lots of people believe this depiction. Other then from Linda Lee and that camp, I've heard nothing but good things about Wong Jack Man.
    Bruce Lee did have some skills and was a landmark martial arts star, but I'm not a fan of the way he downed traditional martial arts, calling them a "classical mess" and what not.
    Last edited by The Xia; 09-08-2007 at 12:07 PM.

He also fought an imaginary deamon with neon orange nunchaku, wtf??

strike!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by yenhoi
    He also fought an imaginary deamon with neon orange nunchaku, wtf??

LOL. I always wondered where the hell they got that idea from. You'd be suprised how many people actually believe that though...

the movie

Yeah I agree that the movie has a lot of fiction in it; ALOT of fiction. But again everyone (including myself) is taking the side that their teachers/sifu's take. Yes Linda and Shannon are making money from the whole deal. The only concrete thing that we all agree on is that there was a fight. This whole thread is not about the fight but the foundation. To answer a previous post about Dan Insonato; he teaches other arts beyond JKD and this does not sit well with some in the JKD world. Was he asked to be apart of the "new" foundation? I don't know. Maybe he turned them down as did a couple of other OBLS have done.

Fighter- I agree with you that it would have been good to have another fight between the two of them.

Xia- you cannot look at someone and tell if they are 100% this or 25% of that etc... I am 1/4 Native American (Creek and Alabamu nations) yet you can't tell it. As far as the classical mess goes; how many types of karate/TKD are there? Each form says that you have to do it this way and no other way. You bend to the style. Jeet Kune Do bends to you. It is as simple as you can get.

Kent