Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: going from MMA to TMA?

going from MMA to TMA?

Hello all, this is my first official post ive been a long time fan of the site and decided to post so bare with me lol.... ive been studying martial arts for about 6 years now mainly Muay thai , Bjj , Boxing etc...and I have recently found myself wanting to train TMA ( Kung fu ) is that going backwards I mean no disrespect in anyway by this post I just want something with history and tradition ( Not that muay that doesnt have that ) but ive always been drawn to Kung fu just never taken the time to attend a class or rersearch enough. My fault I know , I guess its just the fear that I will find myself dissapointed with all the Mcdojos around my area. Just thought I would reach out and see what everyone thought. I live in the Sunrise, Coral Springs, Tamarac area of SOFLA if anyone can point me in the right direction to a good school that would be great, thanks again

if you find a good school your previous mma training will be of great benifit to you.

you'll be walking in with a no nonsense attitude toward training which will do you well. as long as it's coupled with a reasonably humble character im sure your sifu will appreciate it.

most schools that have to make rent will have 2 or 3 clicks amongst the students and you'll find your place very quickly. you'll have the flinchers, the semi serious, and the hardcore. find the guys who like to play hard and you'll become part of a minority who can actually use a traditional art.

just keep an open mind and try to empty your cup. try to limit the "in mma we would do this" as much as you can. at least for the first few months.
    where's my beer?

... and sorry i dont have any advice on good schools ... i thought id throw out some general advice anyway.

the phones dont ring at my new job and for the first time in years im bored.
    where's my beer?

not going backwards.

depending on where you go, it can be highly beneficial and refin the fight skills you already have been working on.

be open, get what you can. good luck.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

It could be a big culture shock for you depending upon the school. Some TCMA schools do a lot of forms and don't know the meanings of the movements in their form.

So if you find one of these, you might be like a fish out of the water after more hands on classes.

Maybe you better find a school that does a lot of sparring and hands on work and that knows the applications of the movements in their forms.

also try not to get discouraged ..... it might not be easy to find a school that trains realistically, but it will be worth your efforts when you do.
    where's my beer?

you better go to a school that knows the applications of thier forms or it isnt TCMA...
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

Try not to seperate MMA from TMA

IN essence they are the same thing, same goals , same perspectives. The difference is that one trains in application more often than not and the other trains in forms(which contain the applications but in some cases is not practiced as much) IN MMA there is a benefit because it teaches you things that are a tad more realistic than a kung fu movie. However TMA teaches you a "style" of fighting that has value to your overall methods of combat. Forms give you more than just applications, they give you a superiour cardio vascular system, i mean that. since forms in Kung fu are designed to train every part of your body in unison it makes for a great cardio workout and gives you a ton of stamina and endurance. In the MMA world there are drills and motions that mainly correspond to street oriented self defenseand of course for the ring. BOTH systems of martial arts are beneficial, and its always a great idea to cross train.

if you are wanting to learn CMA/Kung fu i would reccomend finding a good hsing yi school or even bagua. Mantis is always a good choice as well. good luck in your search.
    Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Check out the CLF schools down in that area. Don't know how far they are from your location but they're probably your best choice.

http://www.floridakungfu.com/academy.htm

http://www.leekoonhungkungfu.com/insider.html
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

i ake it you practice clf then quji? lol

otherwise you wouldn't be saying anything is a best bet. lol

style shouldn't matter in my opinion. the last concern is style, the first concern is method, secondly results. The rest is minutia.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Wrong. I've done a bit of CLF but it's not my main style. I just happen to know that they are a couple of the better schools in that area, especially since he's coming from a MMA background.

If he can get to John Wai's school he'll get the tradition he wants along with the 'hands on' fighting he's accustomed to in his training. They're big on San Shou there.

IMO it's a good fit for him and matches his requirements.

I love this site lol all good answers, Ill be honest I dont know why I was expecting a beating from you guys. I have heard alot of good things about the CLF schools in the area....and you guys mentioned Mantis there is a school in my area that teaches that particular system. There is also an " Shaolin Eagle Claw" school near me Nees Kung Fu, and there is a Fu Jow Pai school in my area as well "Kung Fu Conservatory". And you guys are right in so many different ways its the forms that interest me as well as the fighting aspect. Lots of tradition in forms a sense of history " Not to sound Corny" and I am sure its a hell of a work out. And lastly ( is that a word "lastly"?) I am looking for a school where I can spar and get the both of both worlds tradition and fighting I love the sparring part of it I came home pretty bruised up on Saturday and my wife thought I had gotten into a street fight lol you guys have been great I am looking forward to more responses

Yes, "lastly" is a word.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Ive done some reading via web page of the CLF school near me. It is the Lee Koon Hung CLF school. Looks good ( looks pretty hard core ) and is near my house with morning classes available. How does CLF kung fu compare to other arts ? thanks

You might want to jump on the Southern Forum as a few of the guys from the school post there.

Talk to Sow Choy if you can. He's on there every once in awhile.