Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: going from MMA to TMA?

I miss that place. Been a long time.

This is a very good school for CLF. Although I never offically trained under Liu Shi Hung if he is anything like his brother, and from what I've seen he is, then its great stuff.

As far as how CLF stacks up. I personally put it in the top 3 on my list, the almighty BAJI! being number one of course.
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Emperor of Baji!!!

(Spellcheck by Chang Style Novice!)

Don't get me wrong, I think CLF is a great style. It has an interesting flow and a strong flavour of shaolin. Hey, if you know the area and what's available and got an eye, then so be it!
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Is CLFNole still here, I remember him from Cyberkwoon, he trained at that school too. Great person to talk to about CLF.
    Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Emperor of Baji!!!

Not to knock Southern Kung Fu, but have you ever considered a traditional style of karate? Shotokan, Shorin-Ryu, Goju-Ryu, Isshin-Ryu, and Kyukushin are pretty hardcore.

Hey guys, long time lurker, first time poster. I live in Coral Springs, and I think I can help you out on a few counts barracuda. I switched from jujutsu to CMA's about 7 years ago for some of the reasons you mentioned and I've never regretted it. My old college roomate used to train at Nee's kung fu, and he had great chin na and kicks after 2 years training there. I never met Nee, but my roomate spoke very highly of him. Regarding Choy lay fut, it was the first CMA I trained in; lots of fun if you like Shaolin influenced long range stuff. Don't know much about the CLF schools down here, though; I learned in Gainesville. If you're interested in bagua,xingyi,taiji, or wing chun, you can check out my teacher's site at chineseboxing.com. He mainly teaches privately, but he is very good and very martially oriented. You're on a good path, go ahead and join the CMA collective. One of us, one of us, one of us...

HI guys
    I have got 4.5 years training in BJJ/MT and I am thinking of quittng because I am sick of the constant injuries.
    For me it is really hard to decide on another style. After BJJ/MT Karate and Wing Chun just dont do it for me.

I have Bagua and Jow GAr nearby and I am considering 1 of the 2.

you can suplement your training to include more esoteric body work and still maintain the intensity of training that you will get in mma.

Im pretty sure there are a few mma-ers who also practice yoga, meditation, healing exercises and do their therapy work as well to speed healing and reduce time out from injury.

It's easier to balance a scale when you have one foot on each plate instead of hopping from plate to plate.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Charles T Rose
    HI guys
    I have got 4.5 years training in BJJ/MT and I am thinking of quittng because I am sick of the constant injuries.
    For me it is really hard to decide on another style. After BJJ/MT Karate and Wing Chun just dont do it for me.

I have Bagua and Jow GAr nearby and I am considering 1 of the 2.
    Try Ginástica Natural if you haven't already.

I used to do yoga but it really didn't help as much as GN did. Its not a MA but its greatly reduced he injury rate at our school and I think its just plain more fun than doing yoga. Its greatly helped my game and my flow.

Is that something similar to Pilates asia?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Check out the videos:
    Ginastica Natural

I ve looked at the GN videos and they look fun.
    I think my problem is more related to my body type.I am tall, long,lanky and lean with hypermobility in my upper body joints that makes me more prone to injury.

I think grappling is slightly better suited for stocky people,especially short ones. My instructor is only 5'6 and has never had 1 injury.
    Since I cant gain 40lbs I think my grappling days may be over.

I ve looked at the GN videos and they look fun.
    I think my problem is more related to my body type.I am tall, long,lanky and lean with hypermobility in my upper body joints that makes me more prone to injury.

I think grappling is slightly better suited for stocky people,especially short ones. My instructor is only 5'6 and has never had 1 injury.
    Since I cant gain 40lbs I think my grappling days may be over.
    I don't think grappling favors any body type. I seen and competed against extremely good pple of all body types. Its all about how you us your bodies advantages and covering for your disadvantages. I also don't think a particular body type is more prone to injury than another I think its more of an individual thing. If you are looking for something less impact thein probably Taijiquan, Bagua chuan, or Yiguan might be good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Asia
    I miss that place. Been a long time.

This is a very good school for CLF. Although I never offically trained under Liu Shi Hung if he is anything like his brother, and from what I've seen he is, then its great stuff.

As far as how CLF stacks up. I personally put it in the top 3 on my list, the almighty BAJI! being number one of course.

What's the other one on your list?

Asia
    You may be right but if my shoulder pops out one more time I will need surgery.I nearly had my knee destroyed by a careless pertner 2 months ago and basically just said F*** this and havent been back.
    There is a Bagua school 5 miles from my house,Park Bok Nam main branch, but after years in BJJ(purple belt) I just dont know how well I will take to it plus it is expensive as hell.I have been doing some Qigong and I love that so maybe I will bite the bullet and join.
    The Jow Ga place looked more like they were training to be in a movie to me.I cant see myself in Aikido or Wing Chun either.

Ever consider Yoga?