Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Q & A with me.

Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson
    Injuries can be expected to be higher in an environment where the application of what is learned is more of the focus than not.

Ah yea,,,duh..... I figured you had to pay to play in MMA ....but at what cost? Like football? Like boxing? What? do you do MMA? How long you expect to compete?

Are guys walking away after ten years like my father in law?

I do full contact western heavy weapons fighting... about 20 years ) In this, like any serious art, you have to forfeit a part of your body to the cause. (its something you tend to think about when have some years on you.....)

I’m just wondering how much MMA have to give to their discipline?

I use some mma type training in what I do.
    I haven't been into competition for some time now but used to in boxing and in tkd.

Boxing was definitely higher ratio of injury due to the nature of the competition vs the nature of competitive tkd.

In the kungfu school I went to we didn't compete regularly and so I can't speak to it, besides, kungfu competitions don't put much emphasis on the fighting part and tend to be more heavily flavoured with forms competition where injury is pretty low...unless you strain yourself or something.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I agree with DJ & asia, most of the time it comes down to luck and just having the knack for this style of fighting. On the other hand, I'm a CMA and as DJ posted, we normally train the more physical aspects of applications when the proper undrstanding and conditioning has been aquired.... Me, I'm in no hurry so the CMA way of doing this type of training was good for me. I know other who habe just wanted to get in the ring and go for it. I guess its really up to the person and what they want. Taking time and building the body strong and fit is always more beneficial than jumping into the ring and going for it. Anywho, different strokes for different folks. However, injuries sustained early on in ones training always seem to show themselves later in a more serious fashion. We just have to be careful and listen to the coach or instructor. Condition the body first, make it strong & flexibile. Build strength & endurance then start working with the more stressful applications. I found this method to be far more universal with small ratio of minor injuries. 95% of the time. There's always the oooops factor, lol.

Take care.
    Sifu Ron
    The Style Doesn't Make The Master Famous. The Master Makes The Style Famous!

hung le I'd be happy to answer any q's in the forum.
    Fairfax Jiu-Jitsu

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Muay Thai, Capoeira & Mixed Martial Arts