Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hi Eric Ling

Smile When it rains, it pours...

Hi Eric and All,

Indeed, I am familiar with GM Chiu Chuk Kai (his my teacher). BTW this year marks his 15th year since he passed away.

Here's a clip of me explaining the variation and the same technique on the top right corner of the scanned page. Thanks for bringing that up.

Eagle Lands on a Branch and Hero Wu Song Strikes Tiger
    Wu Song Da Hu

About the Luohan Gong, I happen to practice this set and also conducting research about the origin of this set. The manuscript is part of a text called "Luohan Xinggong Duanda" (Arhat exercises merits short strikes) which is dated around mid 1700s. Personally, though I may be biased, your supposition on the connection of your Luohan and this set is IMHO heading towards a possitive direction. There are many Luohan material out there but none has been so well documented like this set. It adds to the credibility of authenticity in my mind.

As you said, Wulin Yi Jia (martial arts forrest is one family). Hopefully, more people will see that and we could achieve Tian Xia Da Tong (the world is of grand commonality).

On a side note, the kick that you saw in the my clip is what I believe to be an integral component in the San Zhan stepping method. IMHO It is supposed to be trained all the time but the application is seldom explained which is why some lines dropped it altogether. The essence of crane method is in the stepping (now that's some truth). Sad thing really that people leaving things out but... I also saw this type of footwork component in Fanziquan BTW. So...

Warm regards

Robert
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

Hi Eric,

I heard about Bart. Life is really short. Let's pray that he is in peace now.

we dont wake up tomorrow, everything is gone.

take care

Peace

Hi Robert,

Yes it’s the raining season that would soon be over.

Besides the CKF project that I mentioned, I am also diversifying my daytime business. This is expected to take up a very big chunk of my time. So with the little time to spare now, I will share as much as possible….

You are right again. The original SanZhans did include the “scooping” kick that you demoed.

It was dropped by later generations.

This scooping is archived in the classical text “The 15 postures of Fang Chi Niang” which I got in my collection. See link.

This I do know; Fuzhou centered Cranes shifted the footwork pattern to emphasizing the front leg.

The scooping is now done with the front leg in the manner that’s very similar to Hsing Yi’s “front leg advances, rear leg follows”.

This is very obvious in Whooping Crane. In fact I suspect that Whooping Crane borrowed heavily from Hsing Yi’s methodologies. Not mirror images but many of Hsing Yi’s elements could be found lacing Whooping Crane.

Take our basic 2 men form for example; from a distance you might think that you’re watching Hsing Yi’s “An Shen Pao”.

If I look at recorded histories, this thought might not be that improbable.

The founder of Whooping Crane, Ling Shi Xian, was recorded as both a White Crane and Internal (not specified) master.

His student Pan Yu Ba was a well-known Shaolin LuoHan boxer before studying Ling’s Whooping Crane.

So if you look at Whooping Crane today, you’ll see BaiHe, LuoHan and what I believe to be Hsing Yi.

Whooping Crane is, in all likehood, the first Crane style to introduce the 5 elements concept which is, as we all know, the keystone of Hsing Yi.

The “calling or singing” are essentially sounds and emotions triggers used to activate “nei jin”. This concept is, according to all my teachers, directly related the LuoHan Gung that
    you do. In fact our “Koon Kor” or “fist poems” are almost identical to LuoHan Gung

These triggers are not unique to Whooping Crane. We also see them in Shaolin Luohan Quan and Tit Sin Kune.

And that’s the reason why Evert and I have been working so closely.

Regards.

Quote Originally Posted by Hendrik
    Hi Eric,

I heard about Bart. Life is really short. Let's pray that he is in peace now.

we dont wake up tomorrow, everything is gone.

take care

Peace
    Yes Hendrik,

PEACE.

Regards.