Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Monkey Kung fu clip

Monkey Kung fu clip

Hmmmm,

Is this really supposed to be a form or did someone make this up for a karate tournament?

Monkey Kung Fu.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3oek...ey%20kung%20fu

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Oh lord.........................

This is what happens when you do crack.

That poor kid wasted a great deal of his time........

cjurakpt Guest
    yeah, it took him longer to get the judges to move their chairs than it did for him to do his...ahem...form (tourney tip: never make the judges move...yeesh)

ok so you guys are trashing the form

ok so tell me why this is not a monkey form or not a "true" monkey style of kung fu?

From the MONKEY practitioners here. i mean i liked it actually. it didnt really have much combat applications,in my opinion, but it was fun to watch.

TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

The form it self is just a bad version of a wushu monkey, if it was done the right way it may have looked good.

I have nothing against choreagraphing a set but he wasn't fluid the money yells were over the top and he did a bad impersonation of a monkey not to mention I couldn't see anything that could be applied in fighting.

I actually liked the form, too. I've been putting a lot of time into monkey these days, and it's nice to see others' forms. I don't like the apparent lack of combat applications, but I thought his spirit, movement and technique was pretty good. He seemed to move like a monkey more than fight like a monkey.

I'm no expert, but I liked the form. If anyone wants to give specifics on what he did right/wrong, I for one would appreciate it...that way I could try not to make the same mistakes!

How exactly is there a "right way" to dance around and act like a monkey?

Quote Originally Posted by ninthdrunk
    I don't like the apparent lack of combat applications, but I thought his spirit, movement and technique was pretty good. He seemed to move like a monkey more than fight like a monkey.

Sorry, but no fighting means no point and no use. There was no "technique" to speak of.

(this just shows how easy it is to impress the uninformed with a little exotic prancing around)

For one thing in the begining of the form notice that he's not even chambering his fist correctly, and the choreagraphy here leaves the viewer bewilderd. he displays some gymnastics witch is a risky thing to do. At competitions if you decide to do gymnastics you better look like curt thomas or you will get a bad score.

Quote Originally Posted by ninthdrunk
    I actually liked the form, too. I've been putting a lot of time into monkey these days, and it's nice to see others' forms. I don't like the apparent lack of combat applications, but I thought his spirit, movement and technique was pretty good. He seemed to move like a monkey more than fight like a monkey.

I'm no expert, but I liked the form. If anyone wants to give specifics on what he did right/wrong, I for one would appreciate it...that way I could try not to make the same mistakes!

I'm pretty sure the part where the kid was knuckledragging around the floor making monkey noises was a big no-no.

Quote Originally Posted by SifuAbel

Sorry, but no fighting means no point and no use. There was no "technique" to speak of.

(this just shows how easy it is to impress the uninformed with a little exotic prancing around)
    Maybe he learned it from this guy;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nLgH...ey%20kung%20fu

Oh and here's some more;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkbm-...ey%20Kung%20Fu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0j1cE...ey%20Kung%20Fu

Either one of those legit?
    Last edited by BigPandaBear; 08-03-2006 at 08:00 PM.

So, what's the verdict on the last two above? The SD monkey that I have looks nothing like any of the forms posted in this thread, but looks most like the last one above with "sifu gus." Maybe I'm putting too much thought into what the guys "might" be doing for applications and digging a little too deep, but I see some potential stuff there. Granted a lot of it would be really tricky, and that to me means ineffective and useless. Of course, I'll be the first to admit that, while I might have a decent grasp on SD monkey at this point, I haven't seen much outside of that.

Anyone have more links to stuff that is good monkey? I'd like to see how combat techniques are worked into the monkey system. The SD monkey is chalk full of usefull applications, so I like what I've been getting, but it would be nice to see some other stuff for comparison.

Thanks, y'all.

i know there is a relationship between monkey and mantis but i was wondering if anyone knows off the top of their head which came from which. was mantis developed from monkey?

also i know there is an ape style in northern kungfu i have seen some of the techniques from it and it is really good. i have never really seen traditional monkey style applications and i was wondering if they are similar.