Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

40 83.33%
  • no

8 16.67%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you believe "Chi" exist?

this takes me back to debating religion with so-called 'scientists'.....

its such a frustrating experience that already I have lost the will to carry on my post as intended.

craig

On Mana....

Mana isn't "ancient Western", it is Oceanic. Mana is defined as an innate quality that demands reverance for people or things that have it. For example, a community elder may be said to have Mana. In Melanesian cultures Mana refers to luck. Somehow, Mana made it's way into fantasy writing and games. However, the fantasy concept of Mana doesn't have any resemblance to the original.
    Last edited by The Xia; 08-30-2006 at 07:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeyfoot
    this takes me back to debating religion with so-called 'scientists'.....

its such a frustrating experience that already I have lost the will to carry on my post as intended.

craig
    My smart grandparents used to have a rule. They used to tell us, "Never discuss politics or religion."

After some consideration, there are a few things which need to be added to that rule, which is, "Never discuss anything that someone else feels strongly about."

I add to that list martial arts, stock market, housing, sports, science, raising kids, women, men ...

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon Warrior
    Do you believe in "Chi"? If yes, what is it? And why do you believe in it?
    Qi is used to express the essence or essential of everything.

It can be energy, air, oxygen, ATP, thermo, electric, kinetics etc etc.

We breathe. with movement or withou movement, we breathe.

IF we stop breathing, death is ensuing.

Qi flows among things in the universe.

Qi flows in our bodies.

IF Qi stops flowing, or stagnant, illness, pain, etc induced.

--

In short, let the Qi flow. Breathe in and out.

--

Quote Originally Posted by neilhytholt
    My smart grandparents used to have a rule. They used to tell us, "Never discuss politics or religion."

After some consideration, there are a few things which need to be added to that rule, which is, "Never discuss anything that someone else feels strongly about."

I add to that list martial arts, stock market, housing, sports, science, raising kids, women, men ...
    yea its true, no matter what, if someone has a firm point of view then theres no point discussing other possibilities. Its human nature to ruthlessly defend our POV.

craig

Quote Originally Posted by PangQuan
    everyone direct thier deadly qi blasts at flying monkey
    What did I do?

Same old argument again ? So far the chi proponents are winning. You can have chi even if you don't "believe" in it. When I think of science I get a vision of rednecks with test tubes trying to make meth. Cutting edge science was once letting blood to drain off evil spirits. We are just further down the time line now with much yet to be discovered.

IT'S TRUE!!

The more you try to catch an idea in a jar, the harder it will be to do and the further away you'll get. (~G please take f.a.r.t off the censored list, it's a harmless word and it prevents one from saying a word that is used in KF discourse all too often. )

It's simple and self evident to me.

I live, therefor Chi exists.

Please explain "life", does it exist? what is the source of it? It appears everywhere and it's obviouis that it's there, but what is it??? This thing "life" "aliveness" and so on?
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Jamieson

I live, therefor Chi exists.

Please explain "life", does it exist? what is the source of it? It appears everywhere and it's obviouis that it's there, but what is it??? This thing "life" "aliveness" and so on?

Why (in the big sense) are things "alive"? Why are we here? Why does the universe exist? Does god exist?

These are questions for religion not science.

Biology is a discipline that examines HOW life forms functions. To date, "vital energy" (which what chi, prana, ki, etc. is describing) has never been found as a satisfactory answer to describe ANY biological phenomena.

We know this: the universe in general is moving toward greater entropy or disorganization. Life forms appear "miraculous" because we stand in opposition to this seeming trend for things to fall apart.

But the truth is that life forms are entropy loops. We take the energy from other entitities entropy and loop it back into ourselves. The sun is slowly burning itself out. It gives off energy. The plants on our planet take the energy from the sun burning out and loop it. Then we as humans take that energy and use it to sustain our own organization.

In other words (as anyone knows from cleaning their bedroom) it takes energy to maintain organization. That's why we are constantly having to eat other life forms to maintain our own organizational integrity.

There's nothing magical here. Its all thermodynamics.

How did life forms as entropy loops first form? That's what I'd like to know but conditions on earth 4 billion years ago may have been such that conditions allowed for a spontaneous jump start. Meaning that the ambient energy of the earth system may have allowed chemical processes to take place that normally wouldn't have been possible in earth's current atmosphere. Again, were back to thermodynamics.

There's an old axiom of science that lack of proof is not proof of lack.

In other words, just because there's no evidence for a thing, does not mean you have disproved its existence.

I'm still looking for the Yeti, by the way. There must be some smart fleecy snow man somewhere out there, otherwise there is no intelligent life on this planet.

Smile Hi Fu-Pow

I hear you and I understand your point. All I am saying is that the Qi as a phenomenon can be explained theoretically with Quantum physic, which uses probability mathematics (I am aware of the notion that God/any label of the Divine does not play dice), if one is "scientifically" inclined. It's not mystical and doesn't have to be but it does require an open mind (pun intended) and hard examination of self.

BTW, IMHO there's nothing wrong being a mystic as defined in the Tao of Phyiscs as well as by definition given in the Canadian Oxford Dictionary, which states that a mystic is a person who seeks by contemplation and self-surrender to obtain unity or identity with or absorption into the Deity or the ultimate reality, or who believes in the spiritual apprehension of truths that are beyond understanding. So to contemplate Quanta (through the dicipline of Quantum physics); thus gain spiritual apprehension (a faculty that is pretty unique of the human "entropy loop") is that wrong? Can't we be both the scientist and the mystic at the sametime?

Just some thoughts

Regards

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

I thought MANA was what the jews ate while wandering around in the desert.
    It started out as meaning food from the land, and somehow got interpreted as energy of the land, or some such.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mantis108
    Can't we be both the scientist and the mystic at the sametime?
    You can, at least a mystic and a scholar. However, what I'm saying is that we should not confuse science and mysticism.

Mysticism is an investigation of the "I" from a first person perspective, science is an investigation of "It" from a 3rd person perspective. There are other perspectives but in my mind these are very different and because you are adept in one doesn't mean you are adept in the other discipline.

Sometimes it sounds like science and mysticism are saying the same thing (ala Tao of Physics) but really these are semantic similarity. The way they were derived was through totally different perspectives and methodologies.

BTW, you might check out american philosopher Ken Wilber. While I don't agree with everything that he has said he has some great ideas on a "reconciling" of science, religion and even chi, prana, etc.

I thought only hippies had chi.

topic

this topic is done..... it is over done. just leave it alone and try something else.
    i know its there for me, cause it can make my hands sweat and get really hot.

if someone else wants to argue someone if the person who doesnt belive it. try to make others not belive it. i think is bad, the other side is equally as bad. ill put out there. buts its the readers choice if he wants to learn it or not.

soo this topic has got nothing. laters
    "you might be in a fake cma school if your master claims to teach a style secretly passed down to him & nobody else called the Five Deadly Venoms"-forgot who

"With kungfu, if it is good method you will build the body and the mind. when these are strong, the spirit flourishes. That's the core of kungfu and again it circles back to 'you'."- david jamieson

P.S. i could be completely wrong