Thread: Any good (and I really mean GOOD) films on other martial arts cultures?

Any good (and I really mean GOOD) films on other martial arts cultures?

I would like to know if anyone knows of any good Japanese, Thai, Korean, etc. martial arts live-action movies. I've only seen Chinese Kung Fu movies, I'm guessing there has to be some decent depictions of other cultures' martial arts history as well.
    If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.

Lucky Numbers 11, 8, 39, 46, 5, 17

Sword stuff their are thousands of Japansese movies and a ton that are great. But if you are looking for hand to hand I and like old school chinese/taiwanese stuff, then check out The Killing Machine. I am not a huge Sonny Chiba fan(though I do have about 15 of his movies), but Killing Machine is my favorite for the japanese martial arts. YOU DON'T F*** WITH SONNY CHIBA!

Fighter in the Wind was nicely choreographed but I still like chiba's portrayal of Mas Oyama in that trilogy from the same time as Killing Machine. Ahhhhh the cheese.

Ong Bak was good and I have hear nothing but the greatest of things about the fights in Tom Yum Goong.

But all in all, if it is not a sword movie, the fighting is usually Hong Kong style, and it has been that way for a while.

Check out the movie Undaunted Wudang, not one of the best martial arts movies, but very good and it has a much different feel than any other martial arts movie I have seen.
    Last edited by jethro; 08-04-2006 at 04:43 PM.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Wow, thanks a lot man. I appreciate it.
    If the brain were so simple we could understand it, we would be so simple we couldn't.

Lucky Numbers 11, 8, 39, 46, 5, 17