Thread: "Self-Defense" style experiences?

"Self-Defense" style experiences?

Hey all, I was wondering how many of us have trained in a so called "self-defense" style, and what the experience was like? I say "so-called", because I believe most if not all styles teach self-defense, but systems such as krav maga, kung fu san soo, Tony Blaur's systems, WWII combatives, the U.S. Marine's L.I.N.E. system, and Peyton Quinn's Adrenal Stress Conditioning all claim to focus exclusivly on direct self defense techniques, rather than traditional martial arts. This isn't really intended to be an "us-versus-them" arguement, I'm really just curious what people think of these and other systems that claim a pure nuts and bolts self-defense orientation. Comments?

I train for sports (now), but I have some opinions on what should constitute self defense training. 1. Self defense training must involve dealing with attacks from all directions. 2. Self defense training must address the issue of multiple attackers/weapons (turning commonly found items on ones self into weapons also, like keys). 3. Self defense training must address common sence issues, not walking in dark/isolated places, talking attackers down, (in case of robbery) giving them what they want then going the other direction.4. Must address positioning to best take on attackers (many ways, use one as sheild, wall behind, ect.) to take on attackers and then escape to safety.

As I said, I train for sport, so I don't know if my opinion should really count.
    Bless you

The so-called "self defense" systems claim to have the quick fix. Becoming a good fighter takes time and effort. Military martial arts programs simply don't have the time. TMA doesn't B.S. and say that a few sessions will make you the terminator. Truth be told, time and effort in real TMA is the best way to acquire effective self-defense. Alot of these so-called "self defense" systems are outright scams as well.
    Look at S.C.A.R.S. as an example of a so-called "self defense" system. It has loads of critics.
    Last edited by The Xia; 08-30-2006 at 07:45 PM.

What do you think of S.C.A.R.S The Xia? From what I understand Jerry Peterson just took Kung Fu San Soo and changed the name. The little I've seen of it looks like basic San soo, and my San Soo teacher got his first black-belt from Peterson. My feelings won't be hurt if you hate the system, because i have no attachment to it whatsoever, but I'm really curious as to what you think of it good or bad.

From what I've read, the deal with Jerry Peterson is that he learned San Soo under Bill Hulsey and then tried to strike it rich. He took some San Soo, called it "S.C.A.R.S.", made lots of outlandish advertisements concerning the Navy Seals, used the "scientific advancements" and "ultimate style" ploys, and sold alot of videos which garnered negative reviews in the martial arts community.

There is actually an old thread on S.C.A.R.S. http://forum.kungfumagazine.com/foru...ead.php?t=5939

Wikipedia states, "With in the martial arts community, Peterson and SCARS have been subject to no small amount controversey, having been variously accused of being unreliable, unrealistic, a hodgepodge, or simply a stripped-down version of San Soo. Accusations have also been leveled at Peterson about sensationalistic and misleading advertising about SCARS, often involving how widely the system is and has been taught in the Navy. Yet there are many who defend Peterson and his system."
    Last edited by The Xia; 08-30-2006 at 07:44 PM.

These so-called "Self Defense" systems have outlandish claims, calling themselves the "deadliest style", often advertising "scientific advancements" and other nonsense. They also advertise that you be able to take down any adversary in a few sessions. And everytime I looked at their training I see stuff that would get people hurt or killed in a fight.
    Last edited by The Xia; 08-06-2006 at 12:02 AM.

Samurai Jack

I should mention that I am unsure of San Soo. What makes me wonder about it is claims such as "the best martial art", etc. The other thing is that I've heard of no other Choy Li Ho Fut Hung lineages besides Jimmy Woo's. Can you clear this up?
    Last edited by The Xia; 09-15-2006 at 01:25 PM.

I havn't ever heard the "best martial art" claim from my san soo teachers, but I've heard it many times in my twenty years of martial arts training from all sorts of different styles... including ones I have practiced. Mostly such things seem to be spouted by beginners who haven't ever done a martial art, much less any real fighting. I chalk that up to enthusiasm and ignorance. I suppose if I heard it from a teacher, I'd walk the other way.

As far as the Navy SEAL claims are concerned, I can't say anything about that, because I don't really know if Peterson was training SEALS as an "official" part of thier training. I *do* know that I have personally practiced with SEALs, Marines, U.S. Border Patrol agents, and CHP officers at the san soo school that I trained at. My teacher, Rich Robson told me that many of Peterson's students were SEALs as well, and that they came to our school because they'd "heard so many good things during thier training." (I'm paraphrasing on that last quote.) So the short version is yes, he has trained SEALs.

As far as how important that is, I'd say that the SEALs weren't any better or worse than any of our other students. They tended to have less time to devote to thier training, and in the long run they seemed to suffer for it. They were in very good condition though, but honestly not in any better condition than the Marines or any of our athletes.

So, given the above, I don't think it's "outlandish" to say you've trained SEALs. It's also nothing special. My current aikido lineage has many military and law enforcement personel among our ranks as well. It's not that important really, and no measure at all of a systems usefulness IMO.

As far as Woo's lineage is concerned, it's been neatly tied up with the explanation that it was his family's system based on training and texts that his ancestor recieved from a martial temple. Again, I don't think that has much bearing on weather or not the system is useful.

I hope that clears that up.