Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: FORBIDDEN KINGDOM: the movie

Quote Originally Posted by doug maverick View Post
    just came from the official site and uhhhh....yeah it doesn't say that neither is playing the monkey king it just shows the trailer. and jet is acredited as playing the monkey king. and i remember there were pictures of him as the monkey that were released way back when they started filming this.so what site are you talking about???
    http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809869644/info

If he's doing more than the Silent Monk, (who isn't so silent) then it's a brief appearance as the Monkey King.
    Last edited by Nebuchadnezzar; 02-13-2008 at 10:01 PM.

he's playing both roles

monkey king or sun wu kong is my favorite childhood fairy tale.

the novel was written in Ming dynasty.

the tale is also popular in Japan.

a monkey born out of a stone that was energized by the sun, moon, wind, water etc.

he broke weapons easily,

only the cane/stick is worthy of him. It was called ding hai sheng zhen. or godly needle that pacified/calmed the sea. It was borrowed. and east sea dragon king used it to stable the east sea. sun wu kong took it. he called the stick to become small, the stick listened to its rightful owner. sun wu kong called the stick to become a needle. and he hid the needle in his ear.

he switched sides of his ears for hiding the needle, so nobody may steal it from him while he is asleep.

--

I may go on and on.

reincarnation does tricks, the stick/needle owner may be a stone monkey, an asian dude or white boy, who cares.

most important of all, the needle/instrument will respond only to its owner's calling.

--

oh my past life may be the monkey king, that is why I know so much.

--

it is a good fairy tale that strikes the fancy/imaginations of children for generations since Ming dynasty.

look . I am getting to my 50's. and yet I am still a sucker for fairy tale and reincarnation stuff.

--

to each his or her own.

my point is that what is the deal of boycotting the film that tells a good tale or it is not real.

culture knows no boundary of man made nations/countries.

monkey king and his staff may be a chinese fairy tale.

who said it can not be a fairy tale for western children

stressing children and fairy tale.

Last edited by SPJ; 02-14-2008 at 08:13 AM.

who's bycotting the film??????????????

yes, yes, I have heard about this movie. Unfortunately, hollywood seems to be on a serious crap streak(besides RAMBO, that movie rocked), and the plot to this one sounds pretty bad. It is your usual come up with a big ridiculously stupid plot just so you can stick a white guy in the lead role, when it would obviously be much better and make more sense to cast an Asian dude. I'm white, btw.

I also heard that Jackie Chan accidentally hit the crap out of Jet Li's face while doing a scene together. Jackie said that he was afraid that Jet was going to get mad and kick his @$$.
    Last edited by HtownShaolinBum; 02-13-2008 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Errant108 View Post

It hasn't gotten as much negative press as "21" however, supposedly a true story. However, in real life, the main characters were Asian American young men. Hollywood has decided to change the lead roles to white kids.
    There you go. Hollywood has no balls.

I also heard that there is a remake of Seven Samurai coming out with GASP!!! GEORGE FREAKING CLOONEY in the lead role. WHY GOD? TEH WHY?

but jet and donnie are around the same age and donnie looks like he's getting better. so no excuse for mr. jet li, and yeah that is their thing now. cause money talks somebody offers me 15m. to jump around on camera i'm in.
    Are they really? I'm gonna have to look that up. Donnie Yen looks much much younger and is doing some impressive, innovative stuff.

I think that Jet is depressed. In his interviews he seems very sad and in WAR, he seemed like he hated being on screen the whole time. I think that perhaps this depression is why his Kung Fu performances have been seriously lacking lately.

Quote Originally Posted by HtownShaolinBum View Post
    Are they really? I'm gonna have to look that up. Donnie Yen looks much much younger and is doing some impressive, innovative stuff.

I think that Jet is depressed. In his interviews he seems very sad and in WAR, he seemed like he hated being on screen the whole time. I think that perhaps this depression is why his Kung Fu performances have been seriously lacking lately.
    jet li's not depressed at all he's a very very happy man. he's got his health his family his foundation and not to mention **** loads of money. he's the highest paid star in hong kong right now. as for interviews check this out

Quote Originally Posted by HtownShaolinBum View Post
    There you go. Hollywood has no balls.

I also heard that there is a remake of Seven Samurai coming out with GASP!!! GEORGE FREAKING CLOONEY in the lead role. WHY GOD? TEH WHY?
    its actually a remake of Magnificent Seven. which was an awesome as gangsta as western starring yul brenna(who actually was asian believe it or not, half anyay) which was a remake of the original seven samurai.

its actually a remake of Magnificent Seven. which was an awesome as gangsta as western starring yul brenna(who actually was asian believe it or not, half anyay) which was a remake of the original seven samurai.
    Ok, well that is cool. I was wondering how they were going to fit Clooney into a Samurai film.

And yeah, after watching that interview with Jet, he seems alright. I guess he is just depressed when he works in Hollywood(can't say I blame him)

Quote Originally Posted by SPJ View Post
    my point is that what is the deal of boycotting the film that tells a good tale or it is not real.

culture knows no boundary of man made nations/countries.

monkey king and his staff may be a chinese fairy tale.

who said it can not be a fairy tale for western children

stressing children and fairy tale.

It's not about the story.

It's about Hollywood once again requiring a white male lead in an Asian story.

It's about Hollywood never portraying an Asian male as a romantic sexual being, about only approving of white male/Asian female relationships.

Look, I am torn too. I'm a white boy who grew up on kung fu movies, so the idea of saving China with Jet Li & Jackie Chan by my side would be like a dream come true.

And I ain't gonna say that Crystal Yifei isn't hotter than all Hell...

But it's time that Hollywood stopped denigrating Asian Americans and feeding this bull**** which only serves to inform American culture in negative ways.

But hey, what do I know...

Quote Originally Posted by Errant108 View Post
    It's not about the story.

It's about Hollywood once again requiring a white male lead in an Asian story.

It's about Hollywood never portraying an Asian male as a romantic sexual being, about only approving of white male/Asian female relationships.

Look, I am torn too. I'm a white boy who grew up on kung fu movies, so the idea of saving China with Jet Li & Jackie Chan by my side would be like a dream come true.

And I ain't gonna say that Crystal Yifei isn't hotter than all Hell...

But it's time that Hollywood stopped denigrating Asian Americans and feeding this bull**** which only serves to inform American culture in negative ways.

But hey, what do I know...
    don't blame hollywood for that romantic sexual thing blame the wives of hong kong stars like jet li. every action film every every film has a romantic angle in it. trust me its not hollywood that decideds not to do it. its the stars themselves.

don't blame hollywood for that romantic sexual thing blame the wives of hong kong stars like jet li. every action film every every film has a romantic angle in it. trust me its not hollywood that decideds not to do it. its the stars themselves.
    Dude...ASIAN AMERICAN.

Russell Wong, an amazing actor and martial artist, can't even be the lead in a TV show.

Asian American actors can't get romantic lead roles at all. Black actors can. Latino actors can. White actors certainly can.

So yeah, when another Hollywood movie comes out where it's up to the white kid to save China & get the girl, why do you think Asian Americans might be a little ****ed?

This role could have been played by an Asian American kid. It would have even added extra pathos to it. The character could have been a young Chinese American boy who'd been adopted by white parents, and through this adventure into ancient China, gets in touch with his roots.
    Last edited by Errant108; 02-14-2008 at 08:51 PM.

what the **** are you smoking dude russel wong had his own show(vanishing son which guess what he was the f ucking lead) for five years(thats a long time in tv land). sammo hung had his own show for three seasons and he couldn't even speak f ucking english, sure they added arsenio hall to try and get the rush hour effect. but the show was called martial law and he was sharal law which made him the lead. so what are you talking about. do you even know what your saying.

as for asian americans getting ****ed about the white kid saving china. i have quite a few asian american friends and they really don;t give a flying flook maybe there in the miniority or maybe therre the majority. hollywood is not run buy artist who are interested in making movies. they are run by companies who are interested in making money. so they gotta do what they gotta do to make that guap. jet and jackie were payed a **** load of money to make this film. and they are the stars. the kid was added in to basically be the token white guy. just like if you see an all white movie they'll be a token black guy or vice versa for an all black or latino film. thats how its done you gotta add that splash of color so non asians or non blacks or non whatever who are not into fantasy or martial arts film will see it. its weird but this stuff is tested and tested its not done for fun. crouching tiger hidden dragon was the most succesfull all asian casted film in history, no film out of china has repeated that none not one and none have caim close, thats why hollywood is afraid.