Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: FORBIDDEN KINGDOM: the movie

Jackie vs. Jet

44 + 53 = 97 & it's WAR that comes out this Friday, but if you can overlook those inaccuracies, this is still an amusing article.

'Expectations are low for fight scenes with Jackie Chan'

Hong Kong, Aug. 22 (AP): Jet Li is urging audiences to keep expectations low for his eagerly anticipated fight scenes with Jackie Chan in the upcoming Hollywood movie ``The Forbidden Kingdom'' because it's not that kind of movie _ and they are both getting too old.

In a phone interview with The Associated Press on Wednesday, 44-year-old Li said he and Chan, 53, talked about working together for more than a decade.

``When Jackie Chan and I first wanted to work together 15 years ago, our passion was at its peak. We were both in our 30s. Our desire to succeed was very strong,'' Li said. ``Now we joke that when we watch the 'The Forbidden Kingdom' our combined age is 100.''

But, he added, if the audiences still want fight scenes, ``we'll oblige.''

The martial arts stars come to blows in ``The Forbidden Kingdom'' because of misunderstandings rather than genuine animosity, and that the story doesn't really call for anything more, Li said.

``How intense are the battle scenes? My mentality is to not have high expectations,'' he warned.

``The Forbidden Kingdom,'' due out in the U.S. on Friday, is about an American teenager's fantasy journey to ancient China to rescue a mythological monkey king. The idea for the film originates from the classic Chinese novel ``Journey to the West,'' in which a monkey king, a pig and a friar guard a Buddhist monk in search of religious texts.

Li plays the monkey king and a silent monk, while Chan will play another monk called T'sa-Ho.

But audiences should no longer look for reflections of Li's true character or beliefs in the films that he appears in.

``I'm done talking about my aspirations for martial arts,'' he said.

Li said ``Fearless'' _ a 2006 film about a brash, proud young man's transformation into a sage master _ captured his true philosophy of martial arts, but that all his movies since then have merely been a means to an end.

``I don't necessarily identify with the stories I act in. I don't necessarily have to agree with their handling of violence and life. I'm just an actor. ... I just do my job,'' he said. ``Often when I go back to the hotel after shooting I reflect on why I'm doing this.''

The actor's focus, he says, is One Foundation, a charity he launched recently to promote disaster relief and mental health among youngsters and that acting gives him the profile to promote the cause.

``If I don't have the platform of movies, how can I get the chance to promote my beliefs?'' he said. ``It's quite a painful choice.''

Li, a former Chinese kung fu champion, made his name in Hong Kong movies with the ``Once Upon a Time in China'' series before moving to Hollywood.

But although his Hollywood movies have been consistent box office earners, he hasn't crossed the US$100 million (euro74 million) mark at the U.S. box office, according to figures compiled by sales-tracking Web site Box Office Mojo.

Li said his movies are budgeted and marketed with a specific return in mind.

``The budget for the kind of action movies I make won't exceed US$35 million (euro25.91 million). You have to earn that amount back in global sales. Your marketing budget is limited, perhaps between US$5 and US$8 million (euro4 and euro6 million). With that setup, your box office will fall between US$20 and US$40 million (euro15 and euro30 million),'' he said.

``This business approach _ how much to invest, how many people will watch movies of this kind _ it's a fixed model,'' Li said.

Li called the martial arts hit ``Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon'' an aberration, saying that usually huge box office successes are underpinned with comparably larger production and marketing budgets.

The Oscar-winning Ang Lee film set a record for the top-grossing foreign-language film in U.S. box office history, earning US$128 million (euro95 million), according to Box Office Mojo figures.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Jackie reiterates

What should we think when both Jet and Jackie are saying 'don't expect much'?

Report: Jackie Chan says new movie with Jet Li 'not great'
    The Associated Press
    Published: September 18, 2007

HONG KONG: Jackie Chan says the new Hollywood action movie he shot with Jet Li "isn't great," a news report said Tuesday, while Li said in his blog that fans should not have overly high expectations for the film.

"The Forbidden Kingdom," which finished shooting in China last month, has been eagerly anticipated because it marks the first on-screen collaboration between Chan and Li — kung fu cinema's two biggest stars.

But the two actors have been playing down the film's potential appeal to Chinese viewers, saying it is targeted at a U.S. audience.

A news report carried on the Web site of China's state-run Xinhua News Agency quoted Chan as saying, "The movie I just shot with Jet Li, 'The Forbidden Kingdom,' actually isn't that great."

Chan was speaking at a news conference in the northeastern Chinese city of Changchun on Sunday, Xinhua said.

"'The Forbidden Kingdom' is a movie made for Americans," the report quoted Chan as saying. "Chinese viewers may not like it. If I say it's a good movie now, then many people will be filled with overly high expectations and be disappointed when they see the movie."

Solon So, a spokesman for Chan, said Tuesday that the action star could not immediately be reached to confirm the remarks.

Separately, Li made similar remarks, seen on Li's Web site on Tuesday.

"I hope everyone uses an open mind to watch 'The Forbidden Kingdom' and not invest too much expectation into my fight scenes with Jackie Chan," he said.

"The Forbidden Kingdom" is about an American teenager's fantasy journey to ancient China to rescue a mythological monkey king. The idea for the film originates from the classic Chinese novel "Journey to the West," in which a monkey king, a pig and a friar guard a Buddhist monk in search of religious texts.

Li plays the monkey king and a silent monk, while Chan plays another monk called T'sa-Ho.

"After all, this is a story about an American child's dream 'Journey to the West' created by American producers and American scriptwriters. We may have to look at many elements in the movie from a different angle," Li was quoted as saying.

Chan has been known to be blase about his Hollywood work. He said in a 2005 interview with The Associated Press that he uses the high salary he earns in the U.S. to fund Chinese-language projects that he's truly interested in.

Before shooting on "The Forbidden Kingdom" started, he told reporters, "I don't have any expectations. It's just making an American movie."

"I believe the world is anticipating the movie, but I'm not too involved," Chan also said at the time.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

garbage

well all know its garbage. i've been saying it from the beginning. these hollywood directors just don't know what to do with people like jackie and jet, they keep trying to shape them into hollywoods image of an action hero instead of letting them do their on thing cause thats how they became popular in the first place.

This is their thing now.

If it wasn't their thing, why did they sign the contract?

I feel for Jackie and Jet right now. They didn't have the advantage that Bruce did. They have to face old age as martial arts movie stars, and no one is letting them go gracefully, like say Kwan Tak Hing did. Beyond Kwan, there aren't many that have gone there before. The martial arts movie star is a relatively new permutation of celebrity status. And arguably, only Bruce, Jackie and Jet have really gone international.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

thats true

but jet and donnie are around the same age and donnie looks like he's getting better. so no excuse for mr. jet li, and yeah that is their thing now. cause money talks somebody offers me 15m. to jump around on camera i'm in.

Ah yes, Donnie

Donnie's coming from an entirely different direction, but I totally hear you in terms of choreography. Donnie still has a lot to prove. It makes him edgier, which is a plus for an action star. Jet was an international celeb before he hit puberty. I'd venture that there are still many martial arts people who don't really know what Donnie's up to now. Shame on them really. Both Jet and Jackie have been on the international celebrity rollercoaster for decades, trying to break into Hollywood. Donnie isn't even on the map in Hollywood now. I've always thought he had tremendous potential to break Hollywood because he doesn't suffer from the accent issues that plague both Jet and Jackie. But maybe that works against him in a perverse way. Maybe Hollywood prefers an accent for a Chinese male lead. I still have high hopes for Donnie. Even though I wasn't that into Flashpoint, the action was awesome. I almost hope Donnie doesn't break Hollywood and keeps working in HK. HK gives him more creative freedom for sure. He probably couldn't do the kind of choreography for Hollywood that he does for HK. Jackie often talks about the same problem.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

the reason donnie hasn't broken into hollywood.

donnie actually has several defferent deal with film companies in america and is constantly being called on to do second unit director work(he's actually making a name for himself here in the states as a good second unit man) but the thing with donnie he's an artist and he wants alot of control and his ego refuses him to take anything less. hollywood has lots baurachcrocy we all know and ego's as well so its often a clashing of the mines. as donnie is actually very marketable due to the fact that his english is perfect much better then both jackie and jet li, and he has leading man looks unlike both jet and jackie. but again donnie's problem is he doesn;t want to play ball which both jet and jackie do. they are content with getting there money and just go back to hong kong and make movies that their fans like because hollywood is so constrictive. but donnie wants everything he's in to have the best action. if you watch some of interviews you'll see what i mean about the ego as a matter of fact: wong fei hung intereiw part I wong fei hung interview part II

iron monkey interview part I

iron monkey interview part II
    Last edited by doug maverick; 09-21-2007 at 11:38 AM.

But back OT

Is Korea really renowned for its effects?

"Kingdom" shifts to Korea for effects marathon
    Written by Patrick Frater and Clifford Coonan
    Thursday, 27 September 2007
    By PATRICK FRATER and CLIFFORD COONAN

Lensing has been completed on "The Forbidden Kingdom," the big budget actioner that stars Jackie Chan and Jet Li together on screen for the first time.

Under Oscar-winning cinematographer Peter Pau, pic was filmed from May 2 at the massive Hengdian World Studios in Zhejiang Province and took in locations including Anji, Dunhuang, Fangyan, Xianju, Wuyi Mountain. Helmer is Rob Minkoff ("Stuart Little," "The Lion King".)

It now moves to South Korea for special effects work, where a consortium of effects houses Macrograph, Inc., Digital Tetra Inc. (DTI) and Footage has been assembled for the movie. Producers claim that "Kingdom" is the first non-Korean movie with such a complex and ambitious special effects profile to use Korean facilities.

Working with a budget of some $70 million film is produced by Casey Silver Productions in association with Relativity Media and in co-production with Chinese studio Huayi Brothers Media Group.

Story by John Fusco is a loose adaptation of classic Chinese tale "The Monkey King." It sees an American teenager transported back to ancient China, where he learns about honor, loyalty and friendship, and the true meaning of kungfu.

Cast also includes Michael Angarano, Crystal Liu Yi Fei, Collin Chou and Li Bing Bing.

Pic is repped in int'l territories by pic's equity financier Relativity media. It will be co-released in the U.S. by Lionsgate and The Weinstein Co. Lionsgate UK will distribute the film in Blighty, while Weinstein has rights in Spain, France and Latin America.

Executive producers are Ryan Kavanaugh of Relativity Media and Raffaella De Laurentiis "The dynamics of filmmaking in Asia have changed tremendously since I was last here (with 1993's "Dragon: The Bruce Le Story," De Laurentiis said. "The industry has made enormous strides and our collaboration with Huayi Brothers Media Group has been very fruitful."

"For a film that has crossed so many boundaries and set numerous precedents, it was only fitting to have a top-notch Korean visual effects team come on board. We've been fortunate to assemble the best and brightest from Macrograph, DTI and Footage, and I believe they will bring the film to another level," Silver said.

"Korea is on the cutting edge of media in Asia, so I am excited to see this team work their magic," said Minkoff.

"DTI Pictures has always dreamt of working on such a major project," Yoon Suk Lee, the CEO of DTI, said

"Being a part of an international production of this scale will help to further develop the company," Tae Jung Han, prexy of Footage, said.

"Macrograph's goal has always been to become a global CGI house," Dr. Inho Lee, the CEO of Macrograph, said.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

actually yeah they are. there a certian korean company thats extremely good and its a cheap way to get good effects. me personally i don't play with effects if i'm gonna use i'd want the best and lets face it ILM(industrial light and magic) is the best, but that korean company and this french and canadian company com in a very close second

The Forbidden Kingdom trailer

Here it is, The Forbidden Kingdom trailer

http://www.jackiechankids.com/files/TFK_Trailer.htm

Looks cool.
    Psalms 144:1
    Praise be my Lord my Rock,
    He trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle !

**** it looks real good.

wonder why this hasn;t gotten any activity people been talking about how bad this movie is going to be but the trailer looks really good. come guy comment please.

The state that resembles a middle finger.
    Chan and Jet ever done a movie together before??

Can't remember but that's not saying much.

no they haven't