Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xingyiquan video

Xingyiquan video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1-lDd-TId0

I'm a Shotokan-trained guy (although I am a Kyokushin fighter now), so I don't know jack about XY, but this guy looks to have excellent technique and precision.

Any opinions from the XY crowd? Good/bad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsNvl...elated&search=
    This guy looks pretty skilled as well, to my uninitiated eyes anyway.

BTW: What's up with everyone wearing the silk PJs all the time? Wouldnt slacks and a shirt be more practical? It's worse than the gi-madness that we have in karate.
    Last edited by Wood Dragon; 08-05-2006 at 12:13 PM.
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

First clip's not bad, I personally don't see anything special.

Second one I don't like.

Bear in mind - xingyi is all about power generation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DetIFFC-TU4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTq7E...elated&search=

Finny, do you practice Xingyi? Just curious, as you only list Boxing and Wing Chun as what you do, yet can judge what good/bad xingyi is? There's a heck of a lot more to it than just power generation...

i do not practice xingyiquan. i do practice yang taijiquan. to my eyes, the gentlemen in the second set of videos looked considerably more connected than the gentlemen in the first set of videos. other than that, i cannot comment on the postures.
    Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po
    You then walk backwards, forcing him off his feet and then drag him by the eye socket and lips. You can pull so hard that the lips tear away. You will never hear such screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by QuaiJohnCain
    Finny, do you practice Xingyi? Just curious, as you only list Boxing and Wing Chun as what you do, yet can judge what good/bad xingyi is? There's a heck of a lot more to it than just power generation...
    Excuse me? Where exactly did I say "that is good/bad xingyi"?

I said - I don't see anything special in the first clip, and the second one I don't like.

Just like Wood Dragon said "I have no experience in Xingyi, but I like these" - I said I don't like them.

Don't like my opinion? Bite me.

And I didn't say there wasn't more to xingyi than power generation.

How about telling us who you learned Shanxi Xingyi from?

To be an Internal MA like Tai Chi they are kinda different. In Tai Chi (even in the fast forms) appears less, above all to the one who doesn't practice it, the power in it. The shadow boxing of Tai Chi is more restricted as area of practice, while in these videos of Xingyi seems that to explode all the power Xingy players need alot of movements. But of course I am not expert and that was the first time I watched XingYi so I don't give the idea of Mr. Know-it-all.
    As per me I stick with Tai Chi, I like it better.

After the second video I had as video suggested a brasilian guy who was showing Yang Style Tai Chi. Now I don't claim I am an expert and that guy might have been the best of Sifu...but he didn't really seem to be into it that much. His balance didn't look good, and when he was supposed to move a foot he gave the idea of having to "bounce" to be able to move a foot. As the Sifu who showed me Tai Chi said, if you can't kick from a stence with at least one of the 2 feet there is something wrong...and usually to be searched in the position of legs.

Dude their is so much more than just power generation in Xing Yi!
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Finny

I said - I don't see anything special in the first clip, and the second one I don't like.

Just like Wood Dragon said "I have no experience in Xingyi, but I like these" - I said I don't like them.

By your arrogant tone, I can already see you don't have anything productive or useful to contribute here.

In context to the original question that was asked in this thread, your opinion does not count for much if you don't practice Xingyi yourself...

I learned from Mike Patterson. Why you want to make it a point of contention is pretty obvious to me, however... Do YOU really want to go there?

By your arrogant tone, I can already see you don't have anything productive or useful to contribute here.

In context to the original question that was asked in this thread, your opinion does not count for much if you don't practice Xingyi yourself...

I learned from Mike Patterson. Why you want to make it a point of contention is pretty obvious to me, however... Do YOU really want to go there?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fS0QYq26V2g

Is it taiji, or is it competition "wushu" taiji?
    SevenStar: It's hilarious seeing people's reactions when they see a big, black dude with a sword walking toward them.

Masterkiller: Especially when they're at the ATM.

WTF? How did we go from the White Haired Devil strangling and beating guys to death in a teahouse, to Mr Miyagi and Jhoon Rhee?

Quote Originally Posted by Wood Dragon
    Is it taiji, or is it competition "wushu" taiji?

That kid is a student of Wang Xian (one of four main GMs of Chen Family). That is indeed one take of real Chen style. The kid seems to have some Huleijia flavor mixed into it (it's popular in Chen villiage right now), you can see it with the "weird" stuff he does with his knees.
    Last edited by QuaiJohnCain; 08-07-2006 at 05:34 PM.

You want to talk about contributing to this thread?

What have YOU contributed to this thread other than an attack on me?

The thread asked for opinions - I gave mine, and supplied links to a couple of authentic Song style XY clips that I like, by way of comparison.

Your learned contribution? To attack me.

What would you say if I told you I DO practise Xingyi?

The reason I asked is to show you how rude you're being in the first place.

You talk about MY rude and arrogant tone. All I offered was my opinion, and you attack me for it.

Yes - it could be made into a point of contention, but I don't feel the need to go there.

As I said - between the two of us - you and me - who has actually contributed to this thread? Who has displayed some serious arrogance?

I didn't know I had to check with you before offering my opinion... my humble apologies.

Wow, that kid is really impressive. His form is smooth and clean and even tho the young age it seems to contain a grat energy....envy from me hee hee.

What have YOU contributed to this thread other than an attack on me?
    see above. When I did first respond to the original post, the server here went down (seems to happen ALOT) I lost patience to repeat my post tho. Sue me.
    The thread asked for opinions - I gave mine, and supplied links to a couple of authentic Song style XY clips that I like, by way of comparison.
    How would what you like, or don;t like, mean anything who does not know what you do yourself. WHY did you like one and not the other?

Your learned contribution? To attack me.
    To call you out. There is a difference.

What would you say if I told you I DO practise Xingyi?
    I'd ask why you did not mention that here.

The reason I asked is to show you how rude you're being in the first place.
    People always think any degree of quality control is rude, LOL.

You talk about MY rude and arrogant tone. All I offered was my opinion, and you attack me for it.
    Your opinion had no substance, and you still demand credit for it. If that isn't arrogance, well...

Yes - it could be made into a point of contention, but I don't feel the need to go there.
    Except for your comment above in italic....

As I said - between the two of us - you and me - who has actually contributed to this thread? Who has displayed some serious arrogance?
    I don't think anyone but you seems to care about our tiff. You are drawing up a scorecard fer chrissakes. I suppose now that I'm written off in your eyes. That says something about you. I couldn't care less.
    Last edited by QuaiJohnCain; 08-08-2006 at 02:47 PM.

Well you can tell by the way I use my walk Im a woman's man, no time to talk...

Yeah guys chill. PM, E-Mail or use AIM/Yahoo as one of you guys even has his listed and Im too lazy to click the back button to look.
    I have a signature.