Thread: Bak Siu Lum in relation to Long Fist

Question Bak Siu Lum in relation to Long Fist

Many arts are classified as Long Fist. Despite it's Cantonese name and Southern flavor, Bak Siu Lum is Northern at it's core. It has characteristics of a Long Fist style. My question is, would it be wrong to call Bak Siu Lum a Long Fist style?

i know some bak sil lum, not a lot. i havent seen to much. i dont thikn it would hurt to call it a long fist. it defers from stuff like cha, but then agian it defers from songshan shaolin too. but "contains" methods and moves from both. at some points its long and open soemtimes is compact.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

The Xia,

The term Long Fist has dual meaning, i.e., one is a classification of which BSL falls under and the other is the style called Long Fist which is a stand alone style and also falls under the classification of Long Fist.

AS for southern flavor to BSL, only certain schools of BSL have this southern flavor but most BSL schools are pure northern flavor. Many people cannot tell the differences except for practitioners who have years of experence in practicing BSL. They know what the differences are.

BSL fits into the Long Fist Catagory, but of course it also fits into others as well. That is probably why it received its name BSL as the shaolin style contains everything.

Eagle Claw is the same thing. Its name got so long (Bak Siu Lam Fan Tzi Ying Jow) that it was shortened to Ying Jow Pai.

Understanding the differences in the term usage of Pai over Moon/Men is important as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ngokfei
    Understanding the differences in the term usage of Pai over Moon/Men is important as well.
    can you elaborate on this?

The full name of the style is Bei Pai Shaolin Men. Bei Pai is the specific identifier for the style, it is the "Northern style/branch" of Shaolinmen, which is a more general term indicating that it's part of the Shaolin family.
    Bei Shaolin by itself is much less specific and often used as a sort of blanket term for Northern Longfist/External styles including Shaolin.
    And yes, it is a Longfist style in the true sense of the word. As for Southern flavor, as NorthernShaolin said it depends on the practitioner, any style can have a Cantonese name if you say it in Cantonese and any style can have a southern flavor if performed by someone with a background in southern styles
    Last edited by beiquan; 08-01-2006 at 08:14 AM.

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the responses. You guys answered my question and then some.

You can label it as Longfist if you want but it is extremely limiting.

Bei Shaolin was orignally called Er Lang Men. Seems the name changed when it hit Hong Kong. But like most traditional Chinese systems, it is a combination of long and short range boxing.

Long Fist in the modern wushu world is a competition routine. It is not a system.

BBK

Your correct that in Contemporary Wushu the term "Chanquan" is used as a classification along with "NanQuan" & "Xingquan".

This term is a actual catagory in martial arts and has items specific to it.

Erlangmen/yee Long moon was and probably is a system of sets taught at the SonghanShaolin. I don't think it was the "general" name given to the martial arts that they do.

I see your mantis practitoner, what line do you come from?

Changquan (long fist) is simply a generic name, which was designed to classify a certain characteristic, in this case extended movements.

Possibility the name took foothold around the time of Zhongyang Guoshuguan (Central National Skill School); at the time styles (shi) were being grouped into wai/shaolin (external/young forest) and nei/wudang (internal/military bearing).