Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tom Yum Goong aka The Protector

Tom Yum Goong *is* about soup, sort of...

Tony Jaa's post Ong Bak work was disappointing. There are some great fights, for sure, including one extraordinary single shot (around 5 minutes, no cuts) where he takes out dozens of guys, plus a fine capoeira vs. muay thai fight. And who can fault fights with big time wrestlers and a domintrix with a whip? Sadly, this film is painfully encumbered by too much plot that makes no sense. It's very uneven, not at all up to par with Jaa's last film. But definitely check it out for the fights - just speed to the fights and skip the rest.

The next Tony Jaa release that I've heard on the horizon is Spirited Killer, allegedly going to be released for the US market in the next month or two. Jaa was part of a stunt team under Panna Rittikrai, and they made several films which are only available on Thai VCD at this point. The US Spirited Killer is supposed to have all sorts of bonus tracks featuring a lot of old interviews and footage.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing
    Tony Jaa's post Ong Bak work was disappointing. It's very uneven, not at all up to par with Jaa's last film. But definitely check it out for the fights - just speed to the fights and skip the rest.
    Funny, that's how I watched Ong Bak the other day when I was showing it to a friend.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oso View Post
    AND, yea, a good bit of it is about whether you can fight with what you know...kinda all of it is about that.

that's a little recursive...

How can you say
    not at all up to par with Jaa's last film
    for Ong Bak? Did you see Jaa's previous film? He has several, but they're only available on Thai DVD. I'm looking for recommendations on those.

I liked Ong Bak a lot, not just for the fights, but for it's take on Thailand. It remined me of when I was in Bangkok getting my arse kicked for a week trying muay thai. I liked Petchtai Wongkamlao's character, which made his character in Tom Yum Goong rather redundant. I also liked Pumwaree Yodkamol's performance.

BTW, I heard that Jaa really was raised in the country with elephants, which explains a lot of what he was trying to do with Tom Yum Goong to me. They say he developed his jumping skill jumping over elephants.

Anyway, a good fight scene is a good fight scene, and I'll keep watching Jaa, if only for the fights. Hell, I remember staying up 'til 2am, slogging through the stupidest chop sockies on kung fu theater, just to watch those fights. Thank the lord for fast forward!

Does anyone have any recommendations on his old stuff - or even better Panna Rittikrai recommendations?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

clip of capoeira vs Muy Thai (movie)

when watching this in the movie a couple months ago, i was wondering.

on the capoeria fighter, is that scar that spells PRAY real or fake you think?
    A man has only one death. That death may be as weighty as Mt. Tai, or it may be as light as a goose feather. It all depends upon the way he uses it....
    ~Sima Qian

Master pain, or pain will master you.
    ~PangQuan

"Just do your practice. Who cares if someone else's practice is not traditional, or even fake? What does that have to do with you?"
    ~Gene "The Crotch Master" Ching

You know you want to click me!!

It's a movie...

...so it's all fake...

Good fight tho. Tony Jaa turns in some great stuff. Check out thread on this film on the media forum.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Looks fairly real to me.

that was dope

Isn't that Capoerista the dude from the Zero Gravity "****" series?

Lateef Crowder - anybody recognize him?

ox

Capeoira vs. Muay Thai vid (choreographed)

From the movie Tom Yum Goong.

edit - that doesn't look like muay Thai, but they say it is.
    Last edited by IronFist; 01-30-2006 at 11:06 PM.
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

It's stuff from traditional Muay Thai arts that doesn't translate well to the ring sport and is taught only sparingly. Flare was obviously added for the movies too.

decent vid .. i was entertained by the capoera dude, but the mui thai has had better representation in van **** movies.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by GunnedDownAtrocity
    decent vid .. i was entertained by the capoera dude, but the mui thai has had better representation in van **** movies.
    The star of that movie is Tony Jaa. He also did Ong Bak. Once you see either of those movies you will change your opinion. Jaa does his own stunts with no wires, trampolines, or CGI. He is amazing.
    Phil
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

meh ... i've seen ong and i though it was the same dude .... its not a judgement on him, but on that fight scene. that scene wasn't all that hot, but i know hes capable of much more. just like jet li half the time.
    where's my beer?

Isn't this like the 3rd thread started on this video?