Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Tom Yum Goong aka The Protector

YES ITS LIKE THE 3rd THREAD WE HAD ON THIS ALREADY

Capeoira vs. Muay Thai vid (choreographed)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the movie Tom Yum Goong.

edit - that doesn't look like muay Thai, but they say it is.
    YES OF COURSE THIS IS CHOROGRAPHED

TELL ME OF ONE MOVIE THAT DOES NOT CHOREOGRAPH THERE FIGHT SCENES,

AN YES THAT IS ( traditional muay thai ) HE DOES HIS OWN STUNTS AN EVERY THING

CHECK THIS OUT IF YOU DONT LIKE HIM

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...769&q=TONY+JAA

Haven't seen Ong Bak yet..maybe i'll check it out
    Other than that...the stuff i've seen on him thus
    far is preety good
    What martial art is he really suppose to be an
    expert in because the stuff he was doing in that
    tribute link did not look like muay thai
    If life isn't fair...than why should i be

Puma,

The style Tony Jaa learned as he was growing up was indeed Muay Thai. He came from a family of rice farmers in North East Thailand. He was also a huge fan of Bruce Lee and especially Jackie Chan. Of course, his movements are exaggerated in the movies as is usually the case, but he does make good use of elbows, knees, and Muay Thai footwork. His movies so far have had some really absurd plots, but the action is incredible and it's a bit of a breath of fresh air amidst the wuxia craze of late (which I love as well, don't get me wrong) and the mandatory wire-fu that has invaded so many Hollywood action movies as of late.

Here is a link to a neat American fansite: http://www.tonyjaa.org/index.shtml
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by puma
    Haven't seen Ong Bak yet..maybe i'll check it out
    Other than that...the stuff i've seen on him thus
    far is preety good
    What martial art is he really suppose to be an
    expert in because the stuff he was doing in that
    tribute link did not look like muay thai
    Most people have never seen real Muay Thai or even know that MT has empty hand and weapons forms. Only the sport version of it is well known.
    PR
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Tom Yum Goong aka The Protector

Sorry about the mispelling, I am guessing it is wrong.

I saw a release date of Aug. 15 which means I may be able to watch it soon! I will let you all know if it is the sh!t when I see it
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Ya know I was thinkign about this

is this even comign to my city. On Kung fu cinema they didn't say anything about it being a nation wide release.
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!

LOL. Tom yum Goong is a clear/sour Thai Soup with shrimp. I love that stuff, cures colds and bacteria in your tum tum

Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Actually, that's not shrimp in that soup....

...but the film *is* about soup, sort of, TWS. I merged this into an earlier thread that explains somewhat, but warning *spoilers above*.

I just met Tony Jaa a few minutes ago. Nice guy. He did a little demo and signed autographs. I was impressed by his down-to-earth character, and of course, his speed and accuracy. He was on a lemongrassroots tour promoting The Protector and appeared at Sam Kru's school in SF.

Sorry to disappoint you again, jethro, but the release of The Protector is being delayed until Sept. 8th. The good news is that it's going to have a much larger release than was originally slated for the Aug. 15th date.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

LOL all this time i am not eating shrimp in that soup? my god.

Yeah i like the thai way of doing things. worked in a thai kitchen for a while and i know some really good people in the Thai community here in Austin. Used to help out at the Thai Buddhist temple here and in return got to be part of a blessing ceremony and some thai massage therapy(hurt like hell, the thai massage) its kinda like shaitsu and rolfing rolled in to one. the blessing ceremony was very beautitul. i was draped in a white sheet and flowers spread over me. 5 monks did their chants for about 45 minutes and sprinkled their version of holy water on me. They also set free 8 birds(little finches) as part of the ceremony(to carry the prayers i imagine).

One of the monks had been having some stomach problems and intestinal ones as well. i made him a tea whose ingredients was passed down to me by my father who got it from a cherokee medicine man in north kakalaka. anyway it cured his symptoms for a good while and he did the MT on me.
    i miss the ajan because he found out that his ills were related to cancer and as a result of the tea i gave him he had enough strength and stamina and was able to go back to thailand and die peacefully there.

anywhoo, rambling. cheers,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Well, I don't know about *your* soup...

...nor do I know about "their version of holy water". But I'm excited about the wider release of Tom Yum Goong even though I wasn't a huge fan of the film. The Protector is a funny American title because it was also the title of Jackie's 2nd worst film ever, his 1985 American follow-up to the Cannonball Run series. (IMHO, Jackie's worst was his 2003 U.S. film, Medallion).

BTW, here's some more Thai teasers: Spirited Killer is coming to U.S. DVD. It's an early Jaa film, focusing more on his teacher/svengali Panna Rittikrai. If you've seen Born to Fight, you know Rittikrai is the source. ony's manager, Gilbert Lim, said Tony was just about to return to Thailand to work on Ong Bak 2. He also said that Rittikrai was involved in a new project, soon to premeire called Chocolate, featuring a female Thai Boxer heroine. Chocolate Thai? Hmm, that used to mean something quite different in my recollection.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

thanks for the news!

I can wait, fearless is never coming right, what's another month for this? I will certainly be there opening night and I need to plan my schedule around it so keep me updated.

ps-I did hear about a certain scene in that movie in a restaurant

Quote Originally Posted by jethro View Post
    I can wait, fearless is never coming right, what's another month for this? I will certainly be there opening night and I need to plan my schedule around it so keep me updated.

ps-I did hear about a certain scene in that movie in a restaurant
    Ha ha ! Beat you to it! Fearless is a good film, need to watch it again though as I have forgotten it, I have a big problem with remembering films, even my favourites. It's good though in that I always have a surprise at the end!

Fearless is Spet. 22nd

We already discussed the postponement of the U.S. premiere of Fearless on the Fearless thread.

The Protector got pushed back from Aug 15th to Sep. 8th. DOA: Dead or Alive got pushed back too. It was originally scheduled for Aug. 25th, but now it's Oct. 20th. That's why there's an article on it now in IKF. They were working on the original date. When you follow movie openings, you see that the dates change frequently, especially with 'B' movies, which unfortunately, all martial arts movies are classified as. It's just one of those facts of Hollywood. You get used to it after a while. As a publisher, it's very troublesome though.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Soundtrack by the RZA

There's a few interviews with the RZA floating around about this now. Here's one.
    7M: WHAT BROUGHT YOU TO THIS FILM?
    I was actually supposed to have been in this film, but I couldn’t make it this time because of my schedule. So when the Weinstein Company acquired the film, they asked me to add some music to it. It was my pleasure because I always wanted to be involved in this film from its inception. Being that I missed my first opportunity to actually be a member of the cast in this film, I get to come in and help out this film in another way.

7M: DO YOU SEEK OUT MARTIAL ARTS THEMED MOVIES, OR DO THEY FIND YOU?
    Both. Being a guy whose had a lot of time to view a lot of these films – and a movie geek as well, I love movies, the martial arts stuff is my favorite brand of movies. But being a guy whose been in that movie world for years, and a constant watcher of it, I think that maybe that translates a lot of things and taps into my source of values.

7M: HOW DO YOU APPROACH SOUNDTRACK DIFFERENTLY FROM AN ALBUM?
    The first difference you gotta notice is that when you’re making an album, you’re actually the team. You can make the situation of what you want your album to be about. But with a film, that’s the director’s thing. Now you have to accompany and accommodate that world. I have to now watch the film and deal with what the film is trying to impress to the heart. It’s a different translation.

7M: HOW DO YOU KEEP THINGS INTERESTING IN THIS MOVIE?
    In the Protector, for instance, there’s a lot of scenes that start with the Steadicam. There’s a lot of four-minute scenes. One song cannot cover the scene. There’s two or three major cues to cover this one scene, this one location, this one atmosphere. How do you carry on this music for four minutes without boring the audience with the scene, the music and the atmosphere. So the music had to keep changing. So you’re in the same location, but when the music changed, you get a different adrenaline push, a different adrenaline boost. We had to do that at least two or three times in this movie.

7M: WHAT ARE SOME OF THE STYLES YOU USE IN "THE PROTECTOR"?
    Two things are different. The first thing is that I was able to go into a genre of music in this particular film. So we went from your basic Hollywood score to hip-hop, blues, house, techno, hip-hop vibe. We’ve got some rock-and-roll vibe in it. So I think I just went into a couple of chambers that I normally am not able to incorporate all in one thing. You’ll notice that the music sounds like more than ten people worked on it.

7M: DID YOU GO BACK TO THE ORIGINAL SOUNTRACK?
    I actually completely started new, but there were some cues from the Thai soundtrack that I suggested that they keep. But actually the movie company didn’t want to keep any of it because they didn’t feel the vibe of it that maybe it was a little too strong from the American audience.

7M: WHAT CAN WE EXPECT FROM THE PROTECTOR AS A FILM?
    This is an action-packed film. This is an ass-kickin’, bone-kickin’ film. I’m sure that some of the things you’ll see on the screen, you’ve never seen before. And some of the things you may hear, I don’t think you’ve never heard before. So I think this is going to be a unique experience for the buying audience.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips