Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Tom Yum Goong aka The Protector

Check out our exclusive e-zine review of THE PROTECTOR

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Post "Take on Tony Jaa" Contest

Yep!I could take him on and whoop his sorry little ass!

tony jaa new movie

anyone seen the new tony jaa movie the warrior king?. gotta be some of the best fight scenes ive ever seen and the most extreme violence how can u lose?

I'm not a fan of Tony Jaa.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

warrior king, hmmmm gonna have to search for it
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

how many names is this movie gonna have. tom yum gong, the protector, warrior king. anyways, i saw it a few months ago. ok movie, its ong bak but with elephants instead of a statue.
    A BJJ player and notorious pimp, Da Big Deezy, in the Crenshaw district tried to "raise up" and "slap a ho" ..... I impaled him with my retractible naginata. I wish there were more groundfighters in the world. They make my arsenal that much more deadly. - john takeshi

LIKE FROG IN WELL LOOKING UP AT SKY,THINKING SEE ALL WORLD. - truthman

I did really like the really long fight scene up the staris etc. Not sure it was as good as Ong Bak ,but still worth seeing.

Oh... Tom Yum Goon...

Been there, watched that, wouldn't bother with the t-shirt.
    Simon McNeil

Be on the lookout for the Black Trillium, a post-apocalyptic wuxia novel released by Brain Lag Publishing available in all major online booksellers now.
    Visit me at Simon McNeil - the Blog for thoughts on books and stuff.

Isn't "Tom Yum Goon" a thai lemongrass chicken / mushroom soup?

yes...the film is (partly) about a resteraunt
    'In the woods there is always a sound...In the city aways a reflection.'

'What about the desert?'

'You dont want to go into the desert'

- Spartan

12. say what you want about Tony JAA, just dont take his Elephants...
    martial arts and music share the same principles, both wrestle with complex chords and rare melodies.
    http://www.myspace.com/punkrockmantis

I saw The Protector today and enjoyed it. My favorite fights were the joint snapping scene near the end (Prior to him fighting Nathan Jones and the lady crime boss) and the one long, continuous shot of Jaa going from floor to floor up the restaurant. Just think if there'd been one mess-up, they'd have to reshoot the whole thing! Maybe they did(?).

Of course, there wasn't much of a plot, but not many will watch it for that. I personally like good plots and good stories, as it makes the fights more powerful, but whatever. However, truth be told, I felt more anger at the elephants being killed in the story than I would have felt for a lot of human characters in similar movies. I'm not a militant animal rights activist, but although it seems funny for a lot of people to laugh about someone loving and caring for an animal, it's really not. But maybe I'm getting too off-topic here.

At least for now, in a physical sense, Tony Jaa is the only martial arts star doing movies with long, unedited and complex fight sequences using unique styles (I haven't seen Fearless yet). He's definitely a throwback to the '70s/'80s type of films. Hopefully there will be better stories to support the fighting, but IMO if he's made into an "American" star it will probably ruin his movies. Jackie Chan and Jet Li had to return to Asia just to make good films again (though Jet's European-filmed movies are far better than the U.S. ones).

Where Are My Elephants!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't time this movie, but it had to come in at like 70-80 minutes. Along with the fact that the story made absolutely no sense, I am sure I saw the cut version. like when Jaa gets handled by the big guy and then the next scene he is saved by a woman. Then by the time the end of the movie comes around, they didn't even speak a word to eachother! Also the directorial job left a lot to be desired, I don't know wtf happened at the end.

Now the action was probably top ten I have ever seen. I have to agree with Jimbo that the bone cracking scene was my favorite, though there were too many awesome fights to go over. The stunts on the staircase were unbelievable. There was one where the guy got thrown down so hard when he flies like 15 feet down and crashes into this big white table thing, he instantly vanishes. The film set the tone right away when he comes in with that double knee. This could have been the greatest movie ever.
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."

Wtf???????????????

I can't believe this. I just found out I saw a cut version of the Protector. Cut by 29 minutes!!!!!!!!!!!!!

F you tarantino!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    "For someone who's a Shaolin monk, your kung fu's really lousy!"
    "What, you're dead? You die easy!"
    "Hold on now. I said I would forget your doings, but I didn't promise to spare your life. Take his head."
    “I don’t usually smoke this brand, but I’ll do it for you.”
    "When all this is over, Tan Hai Chi, I will kick your head off and put it on my brother's grave!
    "I regard hardships as part of my training. I don't need to relax."