Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Beginner questions.

Chin Na, when Tiger or Eagle claw is developed sufficiently goes much deeper into grappling and holds than any other martial art I've ever encountered. A master can seperate tendons, twist muscles and dislocate bones by powerful grips alone. This gripping aspect is what is lacking in most other styles, though it is present it isn't developed nearly so much. It is possible to render an attacker incapable of fighting with a simple arm grip without too much risk of long terms injury to your attacker if you are skilled. It takes three years of dedicated hard and soft training to the hands and arms and isn't for the lighthearted or simple hobbyist. The drawback is it might take longer to learn the traditional Chinese way but the training is very well developed and with perserverance produces breathtaking results.

How many nights a week do you want to train? My recommendation would be to go to the Vale Tudo club for fitness, conditioning, sparring experience, to kickstart your fighting ability and to hang out with other martial artists, and go to the place in Acton once or twice a week for your Kung Fu fix.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

corwin- I'm going to WPI in worcester mass.

ben gash- originally I wanted to go a minimum of three times per week, but seeing as how its 40 minutes away I seriously doubt thats a possibility.

I've read even more about the club and I'm definitly going to be taking the Vale Tudo courses, but if anyone knows any other kung fu schools closer to WPI than the one in Acton then let know me, because I'm not sure if I can make that trip frequently enough to justify whatever membership fee I'd be paying.

I thought 40 minutes wasn't a long trip by American standards (anyway, route planner times tend to add 20% on to the time, if you're travelling in the evening there'll be less traffic). I'm in England (where gas is $1.80 per LITRE!!!!!) and one of my students travels 30 minutes. If you're a student then I'm assuming your day will finish around 4, so you'll have time to travel. If you talk to the Sifu and explain your situation, they may allow you to pay as you go for one or two nights a week.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by CoRWiN
    This is a Kung-Fu forum and he asked a Kung-Fu question ... so how is BJJ, Judo or any other style even in this conversation. No reason to have your flame wars here.
    Judo and Bjj are kung fu as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash
    I thought 40 minutes wasn't a long trip by American standards
    This was my travel when my master had his school in Chinatown:
    1) Walk 6 blocks to the train
    2) 1 hour train ride to Penn Station
    3) Walk 2 blocks to Subway
    4) 10-15 minutes Subway to Canal St.
    5) 15 minute walk up Canal Street (slightly uphill) and down Bowery
    6) climb 7 flights of stairs.

Finish training at 10:30 p.m. and do the whole thing in reverse. Waiting for the 11:30 train back from Penn getting home almost at 1o a.m. ... on a workday.

Now that I train at his house and my apartment is closer:
    1) 4 blocks to train
    2) 35 minutes to Jamaica station
    3) 15 minute walk up a steep hill

This is heaven compared to before.

I wish that I could say that I'll definitly make that sort of commitment, but seeing as how its 80 minutes altogether during my first year of college where money will be tight enough as it is having never taken a kung fu course before, I'm not sure I can.

I just got an account at citysearch and found some more...

Wah Lum Kung Fu
    33 Bradford St
    Concord, MA 01742-2986
    http://www.wahlum.com/school_listing.htm

Spirit of The Heart Kung-Fu
    47 Market St
    Northampton, MA 01060-3231
    http://www.spiritoftheheart.org/

Shaolin Kung Fu Fitness Center
    284 Bridge St
    Springfield, MA 01103-1410
    http://www.shaolinkungfucenter.com/

They arn't really any closer though. There is one that's extremeley close though...

Kim's
    22 Front St
    Worcester, MA 01614

It comes up when I search the site for kung fu, but there is no other information on it. Anyone know anything about it? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Punch
    Mate, if you can't find some reasonable kung fu and even CLF in NY, you can't find your arse with a flashlight!
    It's in Ithaca, 5 hour drive from New York city.

Population, 12 people not affiliated with the school, and a million cows.