Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Familiar with Wah Lum? Need advice

Familiar with Wah Lum? Need advice

I'm a newbie to the board looking for advice. I'm 28 years old whos been very athletic all my life doing a ton of sports like surfing, skateboarding, soccer, basketball (something I was going to do professionally), football, track and field, etc. Most days, I feel 20 years old. I did Karate when I was a young teenager for a year. It was decent but it started to feel robotic so I stopped.

For the last 6-7 years I've been doing weightlifting and Yoga. I've been both big (185) and ripped and now I just like to stay ripped. I just feel faster, more athletic then when I was big. I'm 6'0 170lbs. During weightlifting, I noticed something was missing. I'm now looking to join a martial art because ever since I was a kid, I always wanted to master one.

My goals are of course are for fitness reasons but I want something that has versatility. That does kicks, punches, grappling, weapons, the whole nine yards and I want something that can be done in the real world no matter what the odds are. I also like both internal and external parts of martial arts. I like balance. To much of anything has never been a good thing with me.

Now I'm really a pacifist when it comes to fighting. When I was 5, I had a kid bully me everyday until months I got tired of it and did a sidekick to his stomach and then uppercutted him. He was hurt pretty bad. Ever since then, I realized anyone can have a good day and even when you win, the feeling of hurting someone isn't good. I've been confronted quite a bit in my life. Most times, I don't fight. I try to go as peaceful as I can. I worry for those that can't help themselves however, like my family, and this day and age, its something I think about a lot.

I need advice on what martial art should I take. I recently went to Wah Lum because I always enjoyed the tradition of Kung Fu and the whole idea that fighting should be last resort which is something I was taught in Karate. When I went, they told me how much it would cost. I thought it would be like at the most 70$ or so but when I was told 175 then 120 for Kung Fu and Tai Chi (on top of signing a one year contract), I was like, "mmmmm, have a nice day". The problem, most schools here in central florida are Karate. Theres a JKD but its sorta far. There is a school called Shaolin Martial Art Inc which seems interesting since they teach 5 animal styles. Still a little further then I like but not to far. The gym I work out at, the owner teaches Kickboxing. On his van it says Muay Thai but I don't know how athuentic it is. Any advice please on what I should do and what does one think about Wah Lum compared to my goals I listed above or on anyother martial art would be appreciated. Thank you.
    Last edited by ANT101; 08-10-2006 at 01:21 PM.

wah lum doesnt do too much in the areas of grappleing.

Hmmm, maybe my first instinct is right then.

What Martial Art would you recommend? Training for me is something I'm committed to do so thats not a thing.

I want fitness, balanced fighting skills, versatilty, useful no matter what the odds are, and something that I can help "defend" not use, in the real world. I know its more on the fighter but I seek a lot in this decision.

So your looking at $175 sign up fee then $120 a month with a one year contract? I guess it all depends on how serious you are about it. Myself, I would not pay this amount. The 5 animal guy is good (Tracy Flemming) but I do understand about the commute in and around Orlando, brutal!
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Try Marcio Simas BJJ on Colonial downtown. Super hard workouts from what I hear.

Tracy's Shaolin School is pretty good too. Don't know what his rates are these days.

If the $120 is for KF plus TC what is the cost for just the KF?
    Last edited by Ou Ji; 08-10-2006 at 03:35 PM.
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

Ou Ji

You knew this thread would bring us out eh!

Come to think of it, if it is $120 for both kung fu and Taiji, then I think it is a bargain.

Where in the city is Tracy`s school?
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Quote Originally Posted by yu shan
    So your looking at $175 sign up fee then $120 a month with a one year contract? I guess it all depends on how serious you are about it. Myself, I would not pay this amount. The 5 animal guy is good (Tracy Flemming) but I do understand about the commute in and around Orlando, brutal!

I'm serious and I don't necessarily mind paying the money but the one year contract gave me doubts. It sounds like business is more of a priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Ou Ji
    Try Marceo Simas BJJ on Colonial downtown. Super hard workouts from what I hear.

Tracy's Shaolin School is pretty good too. Don't know what his rates are these days.

If the $120 is for KF plus TC what is the cost for just the KF?

I actually live near Apopka so Colonial and downtown is a bit far. BTW, what exactly is BJJ?

Just Kung Fu is 100. I was cool with even 120 with Taichi but dayum, a 175 entry fee PLUS a one year contract? Thats a bit much. To bad I don't know any local old masters hiding out that I can go seek and train me personally.

Quote Originally Posted by yu shan
    You knew this thread would bring us out eh!

Come to think of it, if it is $120 for both kung fu and Taiji, then I think it is a bargain.

Where in the city is Tracy`s school?

Yeah, 120 is a bargain but you add 175 up front, then an additional 120 a month plus a one year contract, your more worried about making a buck then trying to teach a art. Imo, if a person really wants to learn, you leave that option up to them.

If Tracy's school is "Shaolin Martial Arts Inc" then its in longwood which would be somewhat close to Apopka.
    Last edited by ANT101; 08-10-2006 at 03:17 PM.

yu shan
    Tracy is less than a mile off I-4 in Longwood. That's about 10 miles north of Orlando.

ANT101
    BJJ is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. http://www.marciosimas.com/
    *EDIT* For you TUF fans Marcio's is where Seth Petricelli from season two trains.

The $175 down includes the registration fee plus your first uniform and should be the first month tuition too. Contracts are not unusual for a large commercial school like that so don't let that turn you away.

I don't know of any Kung Fu in Apopka but Mike Reeves has a pretty good Karate school there. He's the guy with the Guiness World Record for breaking boards.

There's a pretty good Jeff Speakman's Kenpo school in Lake Mary too.

I take it you went to the Wah Lum school on Forrest City Road? You won't find many schools like that one. 2000 sq ft training area, showers, lockers.

Where are you doing the yoga?
    Last edited by Ou Ji; 08-10-2006 at 03:50 PM.
    What happens in Gong Sao stays in Gong Sao.

"And then my Qi exploded, all over the bathroom" - name witheld

yu shan
    Tracy is less than a mile off I-4 in Longwood. That's about 10 miles north of Orlando.

ANT101
    BJJ is Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. http://www.marciosimas.com/
    *EDIT* For you TUF fans Marcio's is where Seth Petricelli from season two trains.

The $175 down includes the registration fee plus your first uniform and should be the first month tuition too. Contracts are not unusual for a large commercial school like that so don't let that turn you away.

I don't know of any Kung Fu in Apopka but Mike Reeves has a pretty good Karate school there. He's the guy with the Guiness World Record for breaking boards.

There's a pretty good Jeff Speakman's Kenpo school in Lake Mary too.

I take it you went to the Wah Lum school on Forrest City Road? You won't find many schools like that one. 2000 sq ft training area, showers, lockers.

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu huh? Never heard of it. I'll have to research that typical art.

Jeff Speakman? Like the movie star? Ha, I dunno. The movie he was in he was super quick but again, I doubt I'd like Kenpo.

Yes, it was on Forest City Rd. Thats the most closest non karate school to me. Maybe I just misunderstood him. It probably was 175 for the first month, uniform, fee, etc. He seemed to be in a rush so more then likely. The contract stills bother me though. It would be ok if you had a free trial. To sign a contract without even knowing anything about the instructor myself is a bit much. I read how famous Wah Lum is so I know they are a big school. I don't know if I want that. Sometimes, things that get more commercial, lose tradition and sometimes isn't as good. It becomes watered down and I hear about those type of dojo's popping up everywhere in USA. I'm not looking at this as sport. Yeah, I wanna stay athletic and ripped but I want to learn some real techniques.

BTW, what art puts emphasis on good footwork? Also, what do you think of Muay Thai? The gym I go to, the owner teaches that. Its 30 dollars to use the weights and machines but for 40 bucks a month you get that AND he teaches you Muay Thai. Muay Thai is kick boxing right? I'm thinking about that but kick boxing seems more like a sport.

invest in yourself

At 28 go for both the kung fu and tai chi. It will be the best investment you ever made.The contract is for you to commit to them in your own best interest. They are already committed.They hang the sign.They have the alter.Consider yourself lucky to train with them.
    phoenixdog

The workout in Wah Lum is really challenging. Your legs will feel like you are wearing 220 lb steel shoes on the first week of training... really intense.

And the chief instructor in this particular school (Mr. G. Kee) is very talented. Good character, good kung fu. He is not a "show off person", if you know what I mean. He is very discret, but believe me, his kung fu is awesome.

I would go for it, no doubt.

thats a lot man. there are other options im sure. what area of florida do you live in?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Sorry, I missed this question.

I do Yoga at home. Sometimes in the morning and sometimes before I go to bed. I'll even do a little quick pose during the day to get a stretch. I stretch quite a bit. I started because the weakness of weight training is loss of flexibility and being flexible is something I always was. I didn't want to lose that. Plus I had a herniated disk and it really has cured it for me.