Thread: Recommendations on Vancouver CMA clubs

Recommendations on Vancouver CMA clubs

I just moved here to Vancouver from out East (just finished college). I am looking for a good Kung Fu or Wushu club, want to stick with a CMA club as that is what I have done in the past.

I understand there are a lot of clubs here, a friend here seems to know all the clubs but he has quite strong opinions about some of them so I am looking for other opinions. I plan to visit a few to get a first hand look but any insight, opinions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thank you.
    Last edited by wengehuaren; 09-28-2006 at 02:32 PM.

vancouver schools

Hi there,

firepalm provided a fairly large list of CMA schools/clubs in Vancouver on the southern board awhile back.

here is the link http://ezine.kungfumagazine.com/foru...couver+kung+fu

good luck and let me know if you have any questions

Thank you Iron & Silk

I have seen that list and plan to visit several. I guess what I am looking for is any personal views on good clubs as their is only so much you can get from viewing a class or two. It also seems like there are a lot of clubs to choose from.

As I mentioned I have a friend here that seems to know a lot of the clubs and has some very strong convictions about some of them so I guess I am looking for other opinions.

For example my friend speaks highly of several persons on that list like Liang Shouyu, Wilson Wu, Hilbert Yiu, Wilkie Wu, Bruce Fontaine, Tsui Siu Ming, etc... but then is extremely critical of a lot of other Chinatown instructors? But then that's just his view point so I was hoping to hear what others might have to add.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by wengehuaren View Post
    I have seen that list and plan to visit several. I guess what I am looking for is any personal views on good clubs as their is only so much you can get from viewing a class or two. It also seems like there are a lot of clubs to choose from.

As I mentioned I have a friend here that seems to know a lot of the clubs and has some very strong convictions about some of them so I guess I am looking for other opinions.

For example my friend speaks highly of several persons on that list like Liang Shouyu, Wilson Wu, Hilbert Yiu, Wilkie Wu, Bruce Fontaine, Tsui Siu Ming, etc... but then is extremely critical of a lot of other Chinatown instructors? But then that's just his view point so I was hoping to hear what others might have to add.

Thank you!
    I would be happy to give you my 2 cents on instructors you are interested in.

Let me know or PM which instructor you want my opinion on.

But ultimately I guess it depends on what you are looking for in terms of style (i.e.wushu vs traditional) and type of school (i.e. atmosphere.)

Furthermore you should really go and try out a class yourself...that's the only way know if it is really right for you.

So if you have any questions fire away!!!

I will say this though...Hilbert Yiu's school has a very solid standard in quality that is most impressive. Bruce Fontaine...I like his teaching style and very reasonable price compared to other schools. Wilson Wu, I saw his mantis performance and it is smooth, quick, and power - impressed me without doing any flashy jump kicks.

Of course then is my school which you can look up http://www.northernshaolin.ca remember the dot CA! I enjoy my school b/c the atmosphere is friendly and relaxed...my teacher is very knowledgeable and dedicated...it was just the right fit for me.

I hope you can find the right fit for you!

Good luck!
    Last edited by iron_silk; 09-29-2006 at 02:19 PM.

I agree with most of what Iron Silk said. I am biased and think you can do no better than www.sixharmoniesmantis.com though
    Cheers
    Jake
    "Gravity doesn't lie, and the ground never misses."
    Jake Burroughs
    Three Harmonies Chinese Martial Arts Center
    Seattle, WA.
    www.threeharmonies.com
    three_harmonies@hotmail.com
    www.threeharmonies.blogspot.com

Thank you Iron & Silk and Three Harmonies

I have been to several clubs in the past several weeks and must say I have certainly seen some varied degrees of instruction and quality in the students here in Vancouver.

Some of the clubs are really good and the teachers are skilled and good at teaching but a few have been well.... pretty mediocre.

I will continue to look around and once again appreciate any recommendations.

I am glad you are starting to look around...let me know if you are interested in visiting the club I am studying at.

So do you have an idea of what you are looking for yet?