Thread: DBs v BBs?

Question DBs v BBs?

Just asked this on another forum too and thought I'd see what you guys make of it.

If you assume that free weights are better than machines as they work all the stabiliser muscles and small tissue connections too, can you also assume that using dumb-bells is better than using a barbell?

Eg, if I do a bench press with two dumb-bells I'm using more stabilisers than if I use a barbell, no?

Another question: what kind of difference is there between eg, working two dumb-bells for a bicep curl at the same time, and working them alternately? Is there a difference? Is it better to work them separately?
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

what i understand : using a barbell means more overall weight = more training effect on big lifts like squats and deadlifts

ive been told that using a barbell for overhead stuff is a less safe than using dumbells as the flexibility can be different between the shoulders and they're getting forced through a certain line. i think that may not apply to experienced lifters but theres some debate about OH stuff anyway.

also only do rows one side at a time using dumbells as its less strain on the lower back but again depends if you have injuries to worry about etc...

if you see steve cotters stuff a lot of that is using an individual weight on each arm up over head to work shoulder and torso stabiliser which would get hit differently compared to a barbell. also doing things like only working one side at a time hits torso stabilisers differently (keeping the body upright when theres a weight only on one arm). ive also seen people doing stuff like using a dumbell (or kb) standing on one leg etc to again hit the stabilisers differently and also balance. maybe makes sense to do both, go heavy with the barbell and then work other stuff with dumbells?

again all just stuff ive seen/read/been told etc best thing as always is try it out find out for yourself

ive just started doing sumo deadlifts and there the ****ing bollocks mate

Bilateral barbell work will let you handle more weight and increase your limit strength.

Bilateral dumbell work will place higher demands on your stabilizing muscles and will point out and correct left-right strength imbalances.

Unilateral db work will do the above, though you may recruit slightly different motor patterns on each side, and will recruit more core stabilization.

Unilateral bb work will do similar things to unilateral db work, *and* freak out everyone in the gym.

Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewS

Unilateral bb work will do similar things to unilateral db work, *and* freak out everyone in the gym.

Andrew
    In particular, single-arm barbell snatches into a full overhead squat.

*note: would be cooler with more than the bar*
    BreakProof BackŪ Back Health & Athletic Performance
    https://sellfy.com/p/BoZg/

"Who dies first," he mumbled through smashed and bloody lips.

"do all lifts baby"

- ronnie coleman

use both .... mix it up. one isn't necessarily better than the other on most lifts they just work different things. i think your getting more BAM power using the bar as your making more muscles work togeather for a common goal. on the other hand dumbells give you more range of motion and isolation. in my opinion its like asking if swimming is better than running. they're both good and you'd be better off to do both than one or the other.

if you are doing dumbell curls id go back and forth or do one arm then the other. its just easier to focus on what your doing that way and its what i prefer. if you like doing them both at once just do it that way.

a lot of people get hung up on the little things, but the best results come from moving weight and keeping it fresh. dont ever be afraid to try things out. do your normal stuff and then play with other lifts you were considering. this way you'll figure out what works for you which is more important than any advice anyone can give you.
    where's my beer?

i just read andrews response.

he's smart.
    where's my beer?

Yes, he is.

Thanks all!
    its safe to say that I train some martial arts. Im not that good really, but most people really suck, so I feel ok about that - Sunfist

Sometime blog on training esp in Japan

Quote Originally Posted by stricker View Post

also only do rows one side at a time using dumbells as its less strain on the lower back but again depends if you have injuries to worry about etc...
    If you do this you are putting twisting pressure on ur spine.

the reason you use "dumbbells" (double b) is so that there is equal resistance in each arm because when you use a barbell your stronger arm will take a larger amount of force.

do not try using 1 dumbbell at a time. For the same reason you shouldnt carry a back pack on one shoulder. when you have more pressure on one side of your spine you will do damage. It's a good idea to use dumbbells for curls, but lift both at the same time.

interesting. i've never heard of anyone having problems from doing db rows for lats, but that doesnt mean it isnt bad for your back.

so what do you recommend for lats then .... lean against an incline and do two at the same time? of course there's tbar and all that, but for dbs.
    where's my beer?