Thread: Fight Science

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    well, it seems pretty cool - at least, it could be a lot worse - i mean, it's not Final Fu...

the only problem with these shows is that they tend ot have a limited context - for example, they lump stuff together, they don't really establish context of each style, and they bestow a title such as Wushu Master as if it were some old style traditional system instead of a sport - on the other hand, they are at least trying to be objective with the measurements and what not;

i wonder if they are going to tackle the whole qi projection / dim mak thing - that would probably not be as interesting to watch as the rest of it though...

as far as MA TV shows go, the best that I have ever seen is one that was being broadcast on Fit TV about a year ago called Fighting Arts - this French Canadian Aikido BB woman went around the world spending time with a variety of local teachers in Thailand, Brazil, India, Japan, Filipenes, Europe, studying the particular arts for about a month each, to try to really get the flavour - there's not hype, it's all straightforward, and goes into pretty good depth about the specifics of the styles - since she was already a BB in Aikido, she knew how to behave properly, and was able to get some of the teachers, all very skilled, to really open up on on camera and show some very good stuff
    Agreed on "Final Fu".

Just wanted to comment on the last paragraph of this quote - I have seen the aforementioned show and found it to be very enlightening at the least. As for the NATG show - I have seen it online (which I find confusing, because it is supposedly airing this coming Sunday) and enjoyed it thoroughly. It was very interesting to see the real mechanics of the human body in motion, and even though there are many naysayers out there about it, and a lot of negative responses with regard to the whole "NASA" thing, it didn't seem to make no sense.

Just my 2c.
    Last edited by tug; 08-17-2006 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Spelling and Grammar.
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel