Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fight Science

Fight Science

I saw this on a site's link and thought it was pretty cool.
    Go to...

http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/c...eoPreview.html

That does look cool!!!!!!

"I feel like superman...In a very humble way." LOL at the delivery of that line.

Forget BOB I want that crash test dummy.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

They have data!!! Why is it every time anyone wants to impress they say they use NASA technology! There is even a mattress ac in the uk that claims they have used NASA technology!
    Looks interesting, but a bit flash.

more xma crap really isn't it. those look like a bunch of teh guys from teh xma thing that got trashed for being so goofy.

I guess they repackaged that pile of poo and sold it to natgeo now.

bleh.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

I agree with DJ.

This another program to stroke the egos of XMA fanboys and wanna-be's. If they really want fight science and true data on a fighters prowess. Why not just get someone who fights for a living, not a hobby.

I'd take it a lot more seriously if they took a Pride/UFC/KotK fighter than taking Johnny Tae Kwon Do from Anytown, USA. I want stats on someone who breaks faces for a living. I want to see the science of the minds of Galdiators. I could care less about a psuedo-fighter when the only thing he fought was obesity before he got into MA
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Quote Originally Posted by Su Lin
    They have data!!! Why is it every time anyone wants to impress they say they use NASA technology! There is even a mattress ac in the uk that claims they have used NASA technology!
    Looks interesting, but a bit flash.

Temporpedic is the Shiz, son! It has Visco-elastique memory cells that conform to your body's weight.... I have insomnia and have seen the infomercial too many times.
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

Perhaps you should try one of them, may help you sleep!

See now that whole vid series would have been cool if they didnt include the ninjitsu dumba$$. " I feel like superman, but in a very humble way" what a wanker!!

UH oH I smell PUMPERNICKLE TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Su Lin
    Perhaps you should try one of them, may help you sleep!
    F*** That!

Those things are thousands more than my broke, college student, ass can afford!
    CPA's current P4P List:
    -Bas Rutten
    -Captain Jack Sparrow
    -Cindy Lauper
    -Lester Moonvest

I really am going to have to make an effort and get me some pumpernickel!

The idea is interesting for the programme, but just seems like a load of men showing off!!! We'll never get it over here anyway . **** BBC! It's about time someone made a decent MA programme .

I think a "real" MA program hasn't been forthcoming because it is almost always approached by people witrh preconceptions who then try to make the concepts fit into tehir preconception which in turn leaves you with a bunch of grown men shouting and breaking boards.

But if you take a show like Kungfu Business that chronicles two people going to study at shaolin on teh 3 year program with one of them (the boy) staying and becoming a student of shi de yang and teh other, an hk business man leaving because he realizes he bit off way more than he could chew and all the while the hard work of it being shown throughout.

Reality. I mean "real" reality is too boring for the masses that have been fed rambo and rah rah. They appanrently want to watch and believe this utter crap instead of seeing it for what it really is, a lot of hard work and sweat and frankly, quite boring to watch most of the time. lol

but mix in a little cirque du soliel peppered with David Carradine fortune cookieisms and a whole lot of straight up bullshi and that's teh cheez **** that american viewers prefer.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Wow, so much negativity....

Personally, I think the show looks really cool. They claim to have fighters from lots of different areas, including a world-class Muay Thai fighter (Not sure if the claim is truthful, thats just what they claimed) and it looks like they are recording lots of measurments like power production, speed, accuracy, reflexes, balance all from a variety of kicks and punches, etc.
    They even had a tid bit that looked like they will address the idea of whole-body connectedness.

As a martial artist, I jump for joy any time there is anything on TV even remotely to do with martial arts, whether its a UFC fight or a wushu form competition--this TV show is no different, and the only reason I wont be watching it next Sunday is because I have better things to do with my money than pay for cable...

cjurakpt Guest
    well, it seems pretty cool - at least, it could be a lot worse - i mean, it's not Final Fu...

the only problem with these shows is that they tend ot have a limited context - for example, they lump stuff together, they don't really establish context of each style, and they bestow a title such as Wushu Master as if it were some old style traditional system instead of a sport - on the other hand, they are at least trying to be objective with the measurements and what not;

i wonder if they are going to tackle the whole qi projection / dim mak thing - that would probably not be as interesting to watch as the rest of it though...

as far as MA TV shows go, the best that I have ever seen is one that was being broadcast on Fit TV about a year ago called Fighting Arts - this French Canadian Aikido BB woman went around the world spending time with a variety of local teachers in Thailand, Brazil, India, Japan, Filipenes, Europe, studying the particular arts for about a month each, to try to really get the flavour - there's not hype, it's all straightforward, and goes into pretty good depth about the specifics of the styles - since she was already a BB in Aikido, she knew how to behave properly, and was able to get some of the teachers, all very skilled, to really open up on on camera and show some very good stuff
    Last edited by cjurakpt; 08-13-2006 at 05:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt
    the only problem with these shows is that they tend ot have a limited context - for example, they lump stuff together, they don't really establish context of each style, and they bestow a title such as Wushu Master as if it were some old style traditional system instead of a sport
    Im not sure establishing context of a given style is relevant. It appears they will do a variety of different types of punches, kicks, drills, etc to ascertain a variety of measurements. What does style have to do with it? Its about **** time somebody started taking measurements of martial arts feats--every other strenuous activity in the world does it...

As for the "Wushu Master" title, who cares what they call him?? Is it really such a big deal what the title is....? I suppose if thats really the biggest concern then I should be happy, because its largely immaterial when considering what the goal of the show is...

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt
    i wonder if they are going to tackle the whole qi projection / dim mak thing - that would probably not be as interesting to watch as the rest of it though...
    I would be very surprised if they did. This is about measurements, results. For those of us who study martial arts with the idea of qi, there might be a mapping from one to the other that can be extrapolated from the show, but IMO talking about qi or "dim mak" in this show totally defeats the purpose of what they are trying to do: Its a biomechanical study of the amazing abilities of our body, and differs very little--IMO--from studies that have been done in the past about professional soccer player's ability to kick a soccer ball or the balance and strength of dancers, etc...Its not really about martial arts, in the end its about human feats.
    Last edited by PlumDragon; 08-13-2006 at 05:57 PM.