Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fight Science

The show looks good, the tests look good, the Martial artist...

James Lew, who picked them, said they had to be able to communicate effectively.

Which translates to, Flamboyant.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Check out our e-zine review of FIGHT SCIENCE

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

There was a show some years back, I believe it was on the Discovery channel though, along the same lines as this. About how the body generates the power for strikes and the structure of the body, etc. I don't recall specifics, but I do remember turning it off after 10-15min. What I saw of it was a showcase of special effects/camera work more than it was for martial arts. So I'll skip this one, just a friendly warning for anyone getting their hopes up.

matt

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt View Post
    well, it seems pretty cool - at least, it could be a lot worse - i mean, it's not Final Fu...

the only problem with these shows is that they tend ot have a limited context - for example, they lump stuff together, they don't really establish context of each style, and they bestow a title such as Wushu Master as if it were some old style traditional system instead of a sport - on the other hand, they are at least trying to be objective with the measurements and what not;

i wonder if they are going to tackle the whole qi projection / dim mak thing - that would probably not be as interesting to watch as the rest of it though...

as far as MA TV shows go, the best that I have ever seen is one that was being broadcast on Fit TV about a year ago called Fighting Arts - this French Canadian Aikido BB woman went around the world spending time with a variety of local teachers in Thailand, Brazil, India, Japan, Filipenes, Europe, studying the particular arts for about a month each, to try to really get the flavour - there's not hype, it's all straightforward, and goes into pretty good depth about the specifics of the styles - since she was already a BB in Aikido, she knew how to behave properly, and was able to get some of the teachers, all very skilled, to really open up on on camera and show some very good stuff
    Agreed on "Final Fu".

Just wanted to comment on the last paragraph of this quote - I have seen the aforementioned show and found it to be very enlightening at the least. As for the NATG show - I have seen it online (which I find confusing, because it is supposedly airing this coming Sunday) and enjoyed it thoroughly. It was very interesting to see the real mechanics of the human body in motion, and even though there are many naysayers out there about it, and a lot of negative responses with regard to the whole "NASA" thing, it didn't seem to make no sense.

Just my 2c.
    Last edited by tug; 08-17-2006 at 07:35 PM. Reason: Spelling and Grammar.
    Embrace your enemy, for he is not - he is just confused.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "It is very hard to unleash the dragon and then put it back in the box without being devoured in the process."
    -Sifu Abel

Gene,

I originally found the show highlights a few weeks back and posted it because it looked cool. Now, I am PO'd because I am away and am hoping I can get that channel where I am. I am sure they will replay it.

Watching it right now. WTF was that double kick from the Kung Fi guy?

Never saw that in KF.

The Muay Thai guy cheated because he pulled the target into his strike. Not a fair comparison IMO.

So far interesting but not impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Sing View Post
    Watching it right now. WTF was that double kick from the Kung Fi guy?

Never saw that in KF.

The Muay Thai guy cheated because he pulled the target into his strike. Not a fair comparison IMO.

So far interesting but not impressed.
    KF guys always look super gay in these things..that kick and even his punch were gay.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

Dan Inosanto cameo...nice.
    ------
    Jason

--Keep talking and I'm gonna serve you dinner...by opening up a can of "whoop-ass" and for dessert, a slice of Lama Pai!

God gave us free will. Therefore he is pro-choice.

TUG,

Where did you see "Fight science" online. Not all of us have cable, so don't hold out.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

Darn, I just saw your thread now and I didn't know the show came on tonight. Did you watch it? How was it?
    "If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

"If you like metal you're my friend" -- Manowar

"I am the cosmic storms, I am the tiny worms" -- Dimmu Borgir

<BombScare> i beat the internet
    <BombScare> the end guy is hard.

How was it?

Total BS ...... I think its been on before....

the show was eh boring

but it did show how boxing, muay thai and grappling are stronger styles than kung fu, karate and tkd.

which technicially is MMA

I thought the first part of the show was entertaining. No real conclusions could be drawn considering the participants were of unequal weights. They also crowned the ninja king of the MA's because he could balance on plum flower poles (and was coincidentally the only one who had to appeared to ever train on them previously) and could hammer strike the chest with a good amount of force.

It was still cool to see the kinetic linking broken down into that graphical representation though.