Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Fight Science

Quote Originally Posted by mattb View Post
    It was good to see they finally put the age old question of "Can a person be knocked out with one hit?" to rest. I never thought a 1 hit knockout was possible until getting confirmation from that show
    lol yeah I was thinking the same thing.
    The whole tagline of "testing martial arts" was B.S.. History proves martial arts to be effective. Martial arts were developed for function.

Worst
    Show
    Ever

It felt embarassing to watch. It was like Days Of Our Lives with punches and kicks. Too over the top and half of it was repeat clips to make up the time ... the topless demos were a bit much too. C'mon.

And what the hell was with the Ninjitsu plugging - was the show financed by Ninjas?

agreed, that was so lame. at first i thought it was going to be cool but then it turns out again to be horrible. like whiplash has said, they keep repeating the same demo of each styles over and over. and then the worst part, they said ninjutsu is the ultimate fighting style or something. rofl (not saying it's bad but that is WAY too one sided) for many other styles, they do mainly focus on one thing for example, gracie jutjusu on grappling and karate do mainly kicks. but then when it comes to cma, wushu is definitely not the best representation of it. there are way too many styles to just grant it the title of having the fastest punch. and i m sure other styles can punch just as fast. it's sad the way they compare the styles. and then for the weapons they make the katana seem invincible. sigh.....

Everything wrong with martial art was illustrated in this show.........
    To the mind that is still, the whole universe surrenders.
    -Patanjali Samadhi

"Not engaging in ignorance is wisdom."
    ~ Bodhi

Never miss a good chance to shut up

I managed to watch fight science last night. It was generally quite interesting, but really quite annoying.
    the voice over man was perhaps the most annoying thing, spewing out cliches about the heart of the warrior etc. They called the ninjutsu guy the ultimate warrior , and generally made generalisations.
    Perhaps the thing that most annoyed me was the australian TKD guy demonstrating everything! And he made a particularly annoying noise whenever he did anything !
    It was all about the power and force, which i realise is generally the point in martial arts, but there is much more to it than that. Also, finally, they were measuring the power the kicks were generating, and then the Muay Tai guy came along ,and was very impressive, but they didnt measure his deadly kick in the same way as everyone elses.
    There just seemed to be inconsistencies, perhaps I just couldnt get past annoying voice over guy!
    It is always good when MA series are on, better than Eastenders anyway! Must say I much preferred Mind Body and Kickass Moves on BBC3.
    Rant over...

It is always good when MA series are on
    I'm not sure Dillman being on National Geographic is a good thing for MA.
    Last edited by mattb; 09-02-2006 at 02:00 PM.

Was he the TKD guy?

No, Dillman wasn't on that show, he was on another show, I think it might of been called "Is it Real?" a series that airs on NG Channel. Here's a video of the show he was on, he's in the blue gi being interviewed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g-x4i...search=dillman

I agree! Hes awful, though I love the hair! Its that really annoying voice over guy thing that is so annoying!

full fight science episodes on youtube

go on www.youtube.com type in fight science it should be on the second or third results page
    ignore the stupid australian tkd/xma guy he gets annoying and doesnt know what he is talking about
    but other than that its all good stuff
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

gonna give it a pass. first time around it was bad enough having to listen to these turkeys go on about seeing blood and what not.

pretty goofy stuff.

now had they approached it from an angle of what they are actually doing, IE:theatrical fighting and musical karate, then it could be taken for what it is.

But it goes over the top in the delusion and whacko nutjob department.
    Glitz and Glamour is not the path of kungfu.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by golden arhat View Post
    but other than that its all good stuff
    I disagree. I felt the show had its good and bad. Basically, seeing things measured was cool. I didn’t like the style vs. style b.s. and I saw no evidence from the show that Alex Huynh is proficient in any TCMA. It does say he practiced a TCMA in the KFM article, but I did not see evidence of it from what was done in the show. Also, I found the narrator to be corny and much of the historical information to be inaccurate.

I stopped watching it once I saw that two modern wushu people were supposed to be representing kung fu. The drunken boxing really ****ed me off. He wore basically jackie chans outfit, and a bit of the coreography (particularly that hit with the back part) was right out of the movie legend of drunken master. He also said a line that bore an uncanny resemblance to what lau kar leung said in heroes of the east to G-liu (the crappy dubbed). "soft... but strong!". And how the hell is he supposed to be able to represent drunken boxing in the first place, all he knows is the wushu form, and hes preaching about how it should be used in combat. They also had an xma/tkd guy talking about karate. Get a kung fu guy (hung gar, choy lee fut, longfist doesn't matter), and get a traditional karate man (preferably kyokushin), and I'll watch. The only good part was the jiujitsu, and dan inosanto.

Quote Originally Posted by street_fighter View Post
    I stopped watching it once I saw that two modern wushu people were supposed to be representing kung fu. The drunken boxing really ****ed me off. He wore basically jackie chans outfit, and a bit of the coreography (particularly that hit with the back part) was right out of the movie legend of drunken master. He also said a line that bore an uncanny resemblance to what lau kar leung said in heroes of the east to G-liu (the crappy dubbed). "soft... but strong!". And how the hell is he supposed to be able to represent drunken boxing in the first place, all he knows is the wushu form, and hes preaching about how it should be used in combat. They also had an xma/tkd guy talking about karate. Get a kung fu guy (hung gar, choy lee fut, longfist doesn't matter), and get a traditional karate man (preferably kyokushin), and I'll watch. The only good part was the jiujitsu, and dan inosanto.
    I must agree. I can't speak for the other styles (karate muay tai taekwando), but the "kung fu" guys were clowns. They made kung fu look even more weak and useless. "kung fu" did the lowest in all of the power tests. That speed punching thing was fruity. It sure could do a number on something. It could do a number on Broadway in tights.

hmm

i liked the muay thai shwn there
    the analysis of a knock out
    there representation of chinese kung fu and weapons was severley lacking and the tkd xma guy was an idiot
    i dont know why he told us all about the katana when there was a real iaido practitioner there
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.