Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Yin Yang sign - What do you know about it?

Quote Originally Posted by YiLiQuan1
    The fact that JohnnyMnemonic sets up Q&A sessions like this, ever asking and never providing worthwhile content, combined with what appears to be a lack of information regarding simple material that, during a 10 - 15 year period of training in Taijiquan, he should already have, leads me to believe that his "trolling" is more to bolster his own information base than it is to impart any information on others...

I've been involved with online forums since 2001, and in the intervening 5+ years I've found that it's not always the best idea to give out too much info... It's spoonfeeding the good students by handing them information I've worked to earn, and it's handing potential legitimization material to the hackers, slackers, and frauds who don't know the real deal in the first place.
    blech.

Excellent point. I'll keep that in mind. I've been on these boards since about the same time. I started Baji about that time and went online fishing for info about this style I was learning that I seemed to have heard of somewhere before but didn't really remember where. But it wasn't untill kind of recently I started thinking much about the fairly profound influence the internet has had on the MA community and how it warps many of the old ways.

I've been studying martial arts, specifically Yiliquan, since 1985. I've also studied Aikido, Boxing (both for an exceedingly brief period of time), Shuri-te Ha Karate-do, Modern Arnis, Ryu Te Karate (all while living in Japan), Judo and Systema. The only art I've spent any real time with is Yiliquan, and it is what I spend 90% of my time training.

I've taught, off and on, since 1995 (though I taught some classes prior to that), and have had maybe 1 out of 10 students display the characteristics of a person that would continue to study in the long term. The other 90% of my students were like any other student - there just for a short time, not interested in the long term investment that martial arts requires for real development and benefits.

I've learned, the hard way, that "earning" is the greater portion of "learning," and so though I hand out information to anyone I train with, giving 100% of what I have to offer, I don't make "earning" any of the "learning" easy at all... They have to earn it just the same as I did.

Returning to the topic at hand, regardless of the thread starter, the internet is both the best and worst thing to happen to martial arts. It's good because it allows beginners to research their options, to determine the legitimacy of their art and instructor, and it allows them to network with likeminded people. It's bad, though, because it provides questionable people access to the ignorant public, with tools that help to further their goal of defrauding new students and substantiating their bogus claims.

Whatever. I don't have any real ill will toward Johnny-boy, but I'm not about to let up the pressure... Life imitates (martial) art, and it's only a matter of time, with sufficient frontal pressure, before JM makes the error that leads to his own downfall...

Enjoy.
    Matt Stone

cjurakpt Guest
    ... the internet is both the best and worst thing to happen to martial arts. It's good because it allows beginners to research their options, to determine the legitimacy of their art and instructor, and it allows them to network with likeminded people. It's bad, though, because it provides questionable people access to the ignorant public, with tools that help to further their goal of defrauding new students and substantiating their bogus claims.
    very pithy; well said... my advice, burn the whole **** thing!

Whatever. I don't have any real ill will toward Johnny-boy, but I'm not about to let up the pressure... Life imitates (martial) art, and it's only a matter of time, with sufficient frontal pressure, before JM makes the error that leads to his own downfall...
    perhaps you mean frontal lobe pressure? cause that would put a stop to him real quick (unless, by now, his psychic powers have warned him off); as a troll, he's certainly amusing (the reality may be a little more frigthening)

Enjoy.
    oh, I shall indeed...actually read some of your old posts re: realities of H2H combat in the military, Dr. Painter - find myself in general agreement w/you on all points...

re" YiLiQuan are you guys the same style as Sifu Sam Chin (iliqchuan.org/)? his is also an amalgam of several internal styles and has a similar name,; if so, we are actually semi-"related", as he and my teacher have exchanged from time to time over the years

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyMnemonic
    I do not intend to be rude or hurtful. To me, this is an example of people repeating buzzwords and things that they have read.
    No rudeness or hurting seen in there. And yes it was stuff that I read. But don't we all build our believes based on things we read and study?
    I am sorry if my answer is not up to your challange, but I cannot change what I believe in because I expect something more.
    Learn from the Yin/Yang sign even in this case, Easy complete Difficult...you can have difficult concepts inside of easy answers...think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by cjurakpt
    actually read some of your old posts re: realities of H2H combat in the military, Dr. Painter - find myself in general agreement w/you on all points...
    Here's the difference between JM and me... I'll tell you straight up that my opinions are mine, my perceptions are mine, and though they are often shared by many others, don't take them as anything but... Mileage varies, right?

All I can relate is my direct experience, nothing more. Anything I've written, here or elsewhere, is a product of that alone.

re" YiLiQuan are you guys the same style as Sifu Sam Chin (iliqchuan.org/)? his is also an amalgam of several internal styles and has a similar name,; if so, we are actually semi-"related", as he and my teacher have exchanged from time to time over the years
    Nope. Not us. Yiliquan translates as "One Principle Fist/Boxing." It was formulated by Sifu Phillip Starr from material he learned from his teacher, Sifu Chen Wing-chou, and his teacher's contemporary, Sifu Ho Ming-lan. I'd be happy to discuss any aspect of it should you have questions (the harder, the better... unlike others, I have nothing to hide and I relish the opportunity to inform people about the art I've studied for so long).

Enjoy.
    Matt Stone

Greetings..

I understand that most books about Asian philosphy and martial arts refer to the Yin Yang sign as a sign of change. If I am a white American who never heard of martial arts, how will knowing "the Yin Yang sign is a sign of change" help my practice?

Or is it one of those mental things that is supposed to develop your ability to think?
    Most Orientals i ask reply something like: "Well, aside from the overanalysis of westerners, it is just a representation of change".. sure, there are volumes of words that assign so many implications of preferences, but.. keeping it simple seems best.. "Change" can be easily applied to most of the stated complex meanings.. While i enjoy the exercise of contemplation regarding meanings of the symbol, i ultimately find peace in simplicity.. i doubt that the ancients devised cryptic symbols to be debated and contemplated ad nauseum, they found a graphic representation of a simple principle.. the dynamic interplay of contrasting principles, or.. "change"... Even as a simple representation of binary code, the code is useless without the "change" that inspires action, until we shift from on to off or vice versa, we have a static condition.. it is the "change" that initiates action..

"If I am a white American who never heard of martial arts, how will knowing "the Yin Yang sign is a sign of change" help my practice?".. well, if you never heard of martial arts, you have no practice.. but, if you are just beginning, it may help you understand that "change" is inevitable.. that your understanding of "truth" is subject to change as better evidence is exposed.. it may help the aspiring martial artist understand that no "system" is complete in and of itself, that change is necessary to negotiate any situation.. that "change" is dynamic, and fixed notions are stagnate..

"Or is it one of those mental things that is supposed to develop your ability to think?".. Yes!! it is not!! no, it's just a statement of my own personal interpretation of the symbol, as was requested.

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

a question for YiLiQuan1

is your art related to yiquan (i chuan/dachengquan)? or is it completely different?
    would you characterize it as an "internal" art?
    just curious, as i've not heard of YiLiQuan before--it sounds interesting.
    thanks in advance for your answers, O Great Dark Lord .
    (sorry for the last comment, i just couldn't resist! i've been reading your internet battle with johnny.)
    Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po
    You then walk backwards, forcing him off his feet and then drag him by the eye socket and lips. You can pull so hard that the lips tear away. You will never hear such screaming.

Quote Originally Posted by qiphlow
    is your art related to yiquan (i chuan/dachengquan)? or is it completely different?
    Not related at all. Yiliquan translates as "One Principle Fist/Boxing," as opposed to the "Intent/Mind Fist/Boxing" that I understand Yiquan means...

would you characterize it as an "internal" art?
    That's a curious question, one that doesn't have a solid answer... It "is" internal as fully 75% or more of our training is on Xingyi, Taiji, and Bagua, but we don't make a big distinction between "internal" and "external" as in the final analysis, when done properly, both classifications yield similar results.

Now, to head off comments that "well, that's not really internal then," we tend to adhere to the belief that the internal/external or hard/soft classifications were Sun Lu-tang's personal joke on the neijia community of the time, and unfortunately the terms stuck. We do the same internal work that "internal" styles do, we just don't use those terms when referring to what we do... Does that make sense?

just curious, as i've not heard of YiLiQuan before--it sounds interesting.
    Unfortunately, we aren't very big anymore... We used to have a lot more students, but as people progress in our system the training gets more and more demanding... We hit hard, we hit for real, we don't use much in the way of protective gear, we "call 'em like we see 'em" and we don't cater much to egos, so unfortunately some of our students opt to look elsewhere. We're okay with that, since we're more concerned with quality than quantity, but it makes it hard for folks to learn about us.

Our teacher, Sifu Phillip Starr, just wrote a book (available at your local bookseller, or through Amazon) called "The Making of a Butterfly." It's his first book, and is a collection of stories about his training under his teacher, Sifu Chen Wing-chou.

thanks in advance for your answers, O Great Dark Lord .
    (sorry for the last comment, i just couldn't resist! i've been reading your internet battle with johnny.)
    You are most welcome (*cue deep, respirator breathing...*)
    Matt Stone

thanks for your thorough reply, yiliquan. any groups practicing your art in san francisco or the bay area, or any videos available on the web? it'd be nice to see this in action. i'll look up the book you mentioned.
    Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po
    You then walk backwards, forcing him off his feet and then drag him by the eye socket and lips. You can pull so hard that the lips tear away. You will never hear such screaming.

whats there to say.

The big blacky sperm like thing likes to run in circles with a big white sperm like thing...

lol as long as I understand it then im not at all bothered if you do

craig

Quote Originally Posted by qiphlow
    thanks for your thorough reply, yiliquan. any groups practicing your art in san francisco or the bay area, or any videos available on the web? it'd be nice to see this in action. i'll look up the book you mentioned.
    Nope, nobody in SF is doing Yili that I'm aware of...

As for video, none of that either, though I'm hoping to put together some small clips soon.

The book, though a great read, isn't a technical manual, so it doesn't do much in the way of teaching technique.

Depending on your finances, we have our annual seminar taught by Sifu Starr the first weekend in October... Very inexpensive (the fee this year hasn't been set, but the past years have been less than $50 for the whole day of training, and we have "private" training that often has non-association members present anyway...), plenty of info. Just a thought...
    Matt Stone

Quote Originally Posted by TaiChiBob
    Greetings..

they found a graphic representation of a simple principle.. the dynamic interplay of contrasting principles, or.. "change"...
    And that you cannot have one without another; like can't have up without down, fast without slow, hot without cold etc.... that everything in the universe has yin and yang.

Plus, in terms of power generating, the True Yang (the "fish eye") lies within the Yin. Hence to cultivate true power one must seek through the Yin, not the Yang.

Cheers,
    John
    Dr. J Fung
    www.kulowingchun.com

"打得好就詠春,打得唔好就dum春"

nicely put John!

Speaking of how are do you exacute a strike, is your body loose?

Gaz

P.S check you PM matey!

Hi cjurakpt

What style of taiji are you learning?
    regards
    Garry

Hi Johnny,

What your naivety hasn’t taught you yet about life is that one man’s gold is another man’s pile of $hit! The world is not here to conform to what you want it to be. You do not understand that yet and that is why you are confused that you and your thoughts are not given the respect you think are deserved. You haven't said anything all that profound to many people. To some it is bunk, to others it is new and interesting and to others it is something they have already learned, thought of, or discarded years ago.

Just because something is special to you does not mean it has to be special to everyone else. There are nearly 6 billion people on the planet, not everyone sees the world through the same perspective that you do.

Just because others do not agree with your perspective does not make it without value, and like wise, just because the world agrees with you does not make your view special. It is just one view and it works for you. Go ahead and share your thoughts and views, but accept that others will not agree, that is part of the BB world.