Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Yin Yang sign - What do you know about it?

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    ...most of the guys here on the forum have a hard enough time hooking up with a woman. Imagine if they had to hook up with both a woman and a 3rdsexman. We'd have more members in the lonely hearts club here than we could ever stomach...
    ouch man...ouch.
    I have a signature.

The bottom line is, it isn't that they have a hard enough time hooking up with a woman.

It's that they have a hard time hooking up with a woman that they want, when they aren't what that woman wants.

I'm sure most guys on here if they picked some woman a few years older than them, worse looking, and fatter, could probably get one, assuming they aren't a total loser.

yin yang symbol.....

first off......this is not the symbol for Tai Chi.... although it is misused as such...

just like any other symbol it is a way to communicate an idea or thought.....

it represents the greater and lesser aspects of yin and yang( the large white fish being greater yang with the black eye being lesser yin and the big black fish being greater yin with the white eye being lesser yang).....it can be used to explain everything in the universe

for example; birth( lesser yang ),growth ( greater yang ), decay (lesser yin) ,and death( greater yin) ....

.......or spring( lesser yang ) , summer ( greater yang), autumn( lesser yin) , and winter( greater yin)

..it is the symbol for the Four Phases ( Si Xiang)

the Tai Chi symbol is a circle with a spiral in the center.....the yin yang symbol is called liang yi
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 10-01-2006 at 08:59 AM.

Greetings..

It is interesting how we project our interpretations on the Taiji Symbol.. as i just did, by calling it the Taiji Symbol.. i projected my values and standards and experiences onto a graphic representation of someone else's ancient concepts.. some people refer to the shapes determined by the contrast of black and white as "fish", but they are not "fish".. they are shapes that can be interpreted as fish.. Some people will "tell" me what the symbol means, but.. i favor "listening" to the symbol and letting IT tell me something.. the beauty of the symbol is that it speaks to everyone appropriately for their situation.. those with particular intentions for martial arts and eastern philosophy will see it in a particular perspective, others will see it differently..

Some people with particular interests in analytical mathematics can derive amazing geometric relationships from the symbol.. some people with interests in Chinese medicine will see the 5 elements, or 8 directions.. But, there is a majority consensus that it represents Taiji, change... lots of people desire to look for deep meanings, to "think outside the box", to be noticed for their creative interpretations, or demonstrate some secret knowledge.. and, that's fine, the symbol has spoken to them according to their needs..

But, i think it is a bit arrogant to assume that anyone's interpretation is absolute.. it is not unlike the Council at Nicaea, where scholars of the time gathered to determine what should included in the book called the Bible.. it is fair to say that much ancient wisdom was lost in that process, the early church was fond of burning rejected documents to ensure their notions were held as "true".. The symbol inspires much wisdom in its undefined graphic expression, why should we try to confine it to a singular "meaning"..

Be well..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Quote Originally Posted by TaiChiBob View Post
    Greetings..

It is interesting how we project our interpretations on the Taiji Symbol.. as i just did, by calling it the Taiji Symbol.. i projected my values and standards and experiences onto a graphic representation of someone else's ancient concepts.. some people refer to the shapes determined by the contrast of black and white as "fish", but they are not "fish".. they are shapes that can be interpreted as fish.. Some people will "tell" me what the symbol means, but.. i favor "listening" to the symbol and letting IT tell me something.. the beauty of the symbol is that it speaks to everyone appropriately for their situation.. those with particular intentions for martial arts and eastern philosophy will see it in a particular perspective, others will see it differently..

Some people with particular interests in analytical mathematics can derive amazing geometric relationships from the symbol.. some people with interests in Chinese medicine will see the 5 elements, or 8 directions.. But, there is a majority consensus that it represents Taiji, change... lots of people desire to look for deep meanings, to "think outside the box", to be noticed for their creative interpretations, or demonstrate some secret knowledge.. and, that's fine, the symbol has spoken to them according to their needs..

But, i think it is a bit arrogant to assume that anyone's interpretation is absolute.. it is not unlike the Council at Nicaea, where scholars of the time gathered to determine what should included in the book called the Bible.. it is fair to say that much ancient wisdom was lost in that process, the early church was fond of burning rejected documents to ensure their notions were held as "true".. The symbol inspires much wisdom in its undefined graphic expression, why should we try to confine it to a singular "meaning"..

Be well..
    the fact still remains that it is misused to represent Tai Ji ..... this in correct..tai ji is the force that wu ji is divided into to become yinyang ( liang yi or dual polarities)

Quote Originally Posted by tattooedmonk View Post
    first off......this is not the symbol for Tai Chi.... although it is misused as such...

just like any other symbol it is a way to communicate an idea or thought.....

it represents the greater and lesser aspects of yin and yang( the large white fish being greater yang with the black eye being lesser yin and the big black fish being greater yin with the white eye being lesser yang).....it can be used to explain everything in the universe

for example; birth( lesser yang ),growth ( greater yang ), decay (lesser yin) ,and death( greater yin) ....

.......or spring( lesser yang ) , summer ( greater yang), autumn( lesser yin) , and winter( greater yin)

..it is the symbol for the Four Phases ( Si Xiang)

the Tai Chi symbol is a circle with a spiral in the center.....

Maybe in the west but in China they call it "the Taiji symbol".

It's been the symbol for taiji for a loooooong time now.

actually...

Quote Originally Posted by omarthefish View Post

Maybe in the west but in China they call it "the Taiji symbol".

It's been the symbol for taiji for a loooooong time now.
    most people from the west and the east call it yin yang first then TaiChi symbol second...this is incorrect and misused and misunderstood by the uneducated in this area.......the Tai Chi symbol is a circle with a spiral in the center
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 10-01-2006 at 08:58 AM.

The Yin-Yang AND the Tai Chi symbol may be mean whatever anyone wants them to mean and may be applied in any manner they wish to apply them. There is no Inter-Galactic Definition Police forcing a symbol's meaning upon an idiotic populace who are too foolish to know better. Only those who do not understand how symbols (including words, which are merely symbols) and their definitions are determined by societies and groups behave in this manner! Linguists make a point not to impose their personal predjudices upon language.

Defintions change over time and are socially agreed upon according to a society's or group's needs and purposes. There is no ABSOLUTE definition defining any symbol or ABSOLUTE symbol representing any idea.

There may be some confusion created whenever two groups define a symbol differently according to their own needs and purposes. But then, that is what discussions are for; to help clear up confusion and to share differing perspectives with the hopeful benefit of expanding our own understanding!
    Last edited by Scott R. Brown; 09-30-2006 at 05:04 PM. Reason: OOPS!

well actually...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott R. Brown View Post
    The Yin-Yang AND the Tai Chi symbol may be mean whatever anyone wants them to mean and may be applied in any manner they wish to apply them. There is no Inter-Galactic Definition Police forcing a symbol's meaning upon an idiotic populace who are too foolish to know better. Only those who do not understand how symbols (including words, which are merely symbols) and their definitions are determined by societies and groups behave in this manner! Linguists make a point not to impose their personal predjudices upon language.

Defintions change over time and are socially agreed upon according to a society's or group's needs and purposes. There is no ABSOLUTE definition defining any symbol or ABSOLUTE symbol representing any idea.

There may be some confusion created whenever two groups define a symbol differently according to their own needs and purposes. But then, that is what discussions are for; to help clear up confusion and to share differing perspectives with the hopeful benefit of expanding our own understanding!
    ..the symbol it's self can mean just about anything you want it to mean but this does not mean that it is the same as the creator of that symbol had it mind.

This symbol represents a specific idea( an absolute)and when it is misused or improperly interpreted it losses the meaning it originally had and is no longer understood which in this case can be detrimental to understanding the Taoist arts.

To many people take this and other forms of symbolism too lightly and that is why they lack the insight into the higher level of the arts.

nowhere here do I see anyone trying to force others to see anything.

To understand words( symbols) and use them properly we must look at their origin and study them to insure that they are being used properly and are properly understood....

A hammer has an intended purpose and capacity to do a specific job....yeah you can use it as a paper weight but then it is not serving its in tended purpose or fullfilling it's capacity......
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 10-01-2006 at 11:07 AM.

Smile

the fact still remains that it is misused to represent Tai Ji ..... this in correct..tai ji is the force that wu ji is divided into to become yinyang ( liang yi or dual polarities)
    Your posts do have a point. However, technically, Wuji/Taiji or Wuji -> Taiji -> Liang Yi -> Si Xiang -> Ba Gua, etc implies creation ex nihilo, which is IMHO inconsistent with ancient Chinese view (prior to Han dynasty). Wuji/Taiji is a relatively new development (After Song dynasty).

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

..the symbol it's self can mean just about anything you want it to mean but this does not mean that it is the same as the creator of that symbol had it mind.

This symbol represents a specific idea( an absolute)and when it is misused or improperly interpreted it losses the meaning it originally had and is no longer understood which in this case can be detrimental to understanding the Taoist arts.

To many people take this and other forms of symbolism too lightly and that is why they lack the insight into the higher level of the arts.

nowhere here do I see anyone trying to force others to see anything.

To understand words( symbols) and use them properly we must look at their origin and study them to insure that they are being used properly and are properly understood....

A hammer has an intended purpose and capacity to do a specific job....yeah you can use it as a paper weight but then it is not serving its in tended purpose or fullfilling it's capacity......
    Hi tattooedmonk,

Your point of view is well stated. However, the meaning of a symbol doesn't really lose anything according to the misunderstanding of its intended purpose by others. It means to them what they need it to mean at the time. The meaning for them will expand according to their needs.

While a hammer may be designed to hammer nails its usefulness is not limited to that purpose as you have pointed out. While its intended function may not be fulfilled according to one perspective (when it is used as a paper weight) from another perspective it may be fulfilling its full intended purpose according to a different context. When intended as a paper weight it fulfills its full function AS a paper weight.

The purpose or function of any item is the purpose or function we give it. Certainly some things function better than others according to the function they were orginally designed for, but the practical value of the item is determined not by the item itself but by our desire for efficiency of purpose. A hammer hammers nails more efficiently than a rock, but it is only more functional according to my intent. If I need to hammer a nail and my hammer is 100 yards away in the garage, I may consider it more efficient to pick up a handy rock to hammer the nail rather than walk all the way to the garage and back. In this circumstance a rock is more functional according to the context of my desire for efficiency than a hammer and the rock BECOMES a hammer!

another fortune-cookie nibbler

To many people take this and other forms of symbolism too lightly and that is why they lack the insight into the higher level of the arts. ......

Oh brother....

Cool Ok......

Hi tattooedmonk,

Your point of view is well stated. However, the meaning of a symbol doesn't really lose anything according to the misunderstanding of its intended purpose by others. It means to them what they need it to mean at the time. The meaning for them will expand according to their needs.

While a hammer may be designed to hammer nails its usefulness is not limited to that purpose as you have pointed out. While its intended function may not be fulfilled according to one perspective (when it is used as a paper weight) from another perspective it may be fulfilling its full intended purpose according to a different context. When intended as a paper weight it fulfills its full function AS a paper weight.

The purpose or function of any item is the purpose or function we give it. Certainly some things function better than others according to the function they were orginally designed for, but the practical value of the item is determined not by the item itself but by our desire for efficiency of purpose. A hammer hammers nails more efficiently than a rock, but it is only more functional according to my intent. If I need to hammer a nail and my hammer is 100 yards away in the garage, I may consider it more efficient to pick up a handy rock to hammer the nail rather than walk all the way to the garage and back. In this circumstance a rock is more functional according to the context of my desire for efficiency than a hammer and the rock BECOMES a hammer!
    #1) It does lose it's meaning if it is continued to be used improperly and is never used properly. Why use an improper symbol to represent something if there is already one that does represents it properly??

#2)I understand this..... but if it is never used or understood to be more than a paper weight then no one will ever use it as a hammer. It still needs to be used properly to fullfil its capacity. If not it does not live up to it's original purpose then it is forgotten how to use it as a hammer.

#3)the purpose of a hammer is first and foremost to drive nail. if it is no longer used for that it loses it's capacity , intent ,and purpose...If you wanted to buy a hammer to be a paper weight then what you are saying is correct but no one buys a hammer for this purpose nor does someone plan on driving a nail into something 100 yards away and forget their hammer...

.....if they did they would weight out the differences of walking the 100 yards vs. looking for a rock, the fact that they may not hammer the nail in straight, could injure themselves, etc...( which all takes time and effort...more than it would take to go get the hammer)

do you see what I mean????

you should always use the right tool for the job. it will be done properly , more effeciently, will not waste anytime and will not cause any confusion.....

only understanding something for it's original purpose , intent, and capacity can you use it for a myriad of other things...other wise it does not live up to it
    Last edited by tattooedmonk; 10-02-2006 at 12:24 PM.

Hi tattooedmonk,

Ok I get the hammer example but what about something like the $ sign? Isn't it pretty absolute that there is only one meaning? Or could it be something so simple as to one person it means dollars but to another it just means money......

dollars=$

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin22 View Post
    Ok I get the hammer example but what about something like the $ sign? Isn't it pretty absolute that there is only one meaning? Or could it be something so simple as to one person it means dollars but to another it just means money......
    they are the same thing...this is one reason why this symbol invokes so much power..because it means only this!!!...even though people could and have used it like this .... piece of a$$!! and seeing that ......I think how much does it cost!?!?!?