Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: If Bruce Lee was still alive

Quote Originally Posted by JKDan View Post
    "If you're talking about combat, I mean, as it REALLY is – with NO rules -- well then, baby you'd better train EVERY part of your body!" (-- Bruce Lee: The Lost Interview)

Pages115-123 of the published version of Bruce Lee’s, “The Tao of Jeet Kune Do,” over 90% of this chapter on Grappling, done in his own hand, could pass for a UFC training manual! The man was very familiar with grappling! Is it any wonder that, two years ago, former manager of both Chuck Lidell and Tito Ortiz, and now president of the UFC, and producer of “The Ultimate Fighter,” Dana White, publicly acknowledged Lee's apparent abilities, ending by even calling Lee the father of modern mixed martial arts:

What does White know? Some of his credential’s: "I boxed in the amateurs before getting into submission fighting and got hooked. Actually, I owned three boxing gyms in Vegas. I trained and managed fighters and had a sports management company. One day I met Tito Ortiz and Chuck Liddell, who I started representing, and I got into this huge contract negotiation with Bob Meyerwitz, the former owner of Tito Ortiz’s contract….It’s a little tough for the traditional martial artists to swallow, because one system doesn’t do it. You’ve got to cross-train in many different systems. Actually, the father of mixed martial arts, if you will, was Bruce Lee. If you look at the way Bruce Lee trained, the way he fought, and many of the things he wrote, he said the perfect style was no style. You take a little something from everything. You take the good things from every different discipline, use what works, and you throw the rest away." http://www.knucklepit.com/mixed-mart...dana_white.htm

Legendary boxers, Sugar Ray Leonard and Hector Camacho, and a host of others, have all noted, on separate occasions, that they were absolutely in awe of Lee's obvious fighting skills. From watching what - actual Bruce Lee fight footage? I doubt it. But from observing his speed, timing, understanding of a fight, etc., as demonstrated in his films and film clips of him in action. Remember, these guys are masters at detecting their opponent's strengths, weaknesses, timing, strategy, and so on, during pre-fight analysis of films of their opponent’s movements. They can read skill from movement!

“Alongside Muhammad Ali, he [Lee] is cited as a major influence by many K-1 and MMA champions: Bas Rutten, Jose "Pele" Landi-Jons, Wanderlei Silva, Emilianenko Fedor, Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto, Rob Kaman, Ramon Dekkers, Frank Shamrock, Murilo and Mauricio Rua, Jerome Le Banner, Carlos Newton, Remy Bonjasky, Jeremy Horn, David Loiseau and Tito Ortiz among others. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000045/bio

World renowned MMA/JKD Trainer, and former Bruce Lee student, Larry Hartsell: My first martial art, in 1958 or 1959, was judo. At the same time, I was a high-school wrestler in the light-heavyweight class. From 1967 to 1970, I studied with Bruce [Lee] and Dan [Inosanto] and taught at Ed Parker’s.

Bruce had adopted boxing by then. He [mixed] it with Wing Chun Kung Fu. Also, there were grappling techniques he picked up from Gene LeBell and some stuff from Wally Jay’s small circle jujutsu, which he added to Jeet Kune Do.

Before his death [1973], he had added 33 grappling moves to the Jeet Kune Do concept. He got those from Wally Jay, Gene LeBell and Hayward Nishioka. And he had some chin-na [Chinese close combat skills used to subdue an enemy, and have total control not only of a part of his body but also of his entire body, before finally tying him up , http://www.shaolin.nl/chinna.html>]. and silat [an ancient, vicious, real world South East Asian – Indonesian/Malaysian Knife and Submission fighting system - <http://www.silatlincah.inuk.com/>]. He would mix the arts. He would enter to trapping and take down into a submission. If you read Tao of Jeet Kune Do, you’ll see those grappling [techniques]. http://www.jkdassoc.com/QABlackBeltMag.html

"He (Bruce) was just getting into grappling at that time”(1967) states Larry "and although he (Bruce) himself stated he wasn't very good at it, someone forgot to tell the people he worked out with. He could knock you down, tie you up and choke you out just like you and I would wipe our faces."
    http://www.martialarm.com/martial-ar...ordinaire.html

By the way, as someone else recntly pointed out, all Bruce Lee's movies contain some form of grappling in them! How do the last battle in both "Return of the Dragon," (w/ Chuck Noriss) and "Game of Death," (w/Kareem Abdul Jabbar) end?
    Joint locking/breaking and grappling choke holds.

The man who even once predicted that one day, something along the lines of today's MMA would be the norm, was simply ahead of his time.

Hey, why don't we start a "trash Miyamoto Mushashi" forum. I mean, he was also supposedly unbeatable, and we're lucky to have even a drawing of him, yet we buy it! Or how about Sun Tzu and his Art of War - another guy who apparently did not leave any video footage of his great battles behind! Worse, neither of these supposedly amazing individuals and astounding strategists (all borrowed), even to this day (!) - all borrowed has one witness alive today who can attest to their great mastery, as Lee does!

The reality is simply that if a Mushashi or a Tzu, or any other "legend" were alive today, they would have their detractors today too. Ali did and still does, for example! So that in the end, Bruce Lee bashing or admiration has nothing to do with "real proof." But with difference of opinion taken as truth. For me, my reality is that he was one incredible individual. You want to believe otherwise, then have at it...

Keep flowing, keep blasting, keep the peace... JKDan

Beautifully said. JKDan "Obviously you are someone who has a great admiration for Lee and all of his contributions to the arts."

Much respect...
    "Do not be overly concerned with defending that first fist... it may be what comes next that needs your attention."

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    Dan Inosanto is a BJJ black belt now, isnt' he?
    He as been a black belt for a few years now.

I'm sure, Lee, being the open-minded martial artist that he was, would have done the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Lipan View Post
    Dan Inosanto is not Bruce Lee.
    I would contend that while Guro Inosanto may not have all of the attributes Bruce Lee did, he has continued to teach and study for many decades in many, many different martial arts. At this point in time I'm sure he's amassed a greater skill level in combat than Bruce was able to in his lifetime (simply because his life was cut short).

I haven't met him personally, but everyone I know who has says the same thing - he's an awesome man, very highly skilled, no ego.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    I'm sure, Lee, being the open-minded martial artist that he was, would have done the same.
    I'm sure he would have.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayfaring View Post
    I would contend that while Guro Inosanto may not have all of the attributes Bruce Lee did, he has continued to teach and study for many decades in many, many different martial arts. At this point in time I'm sure he's amassed a greater skill level in combat than Bruce was able to in his lifetime (simply because his life was cut short).

I haven't met him personally, but everyone I know who has says the same thing - he's an awesome man, very highly skilled, no ego.

Agreed. He (Inosanto) is without a doubt a highly skilled individual and I to have heard that he is a good soul. In my previous comment though I was speaking more on the idea of "If Bruce Lee was still alive". Inosanto is a very skilled artist but he is no Bruce Lee. Even today (with all of his training) Inosanto seems to lack two of Lee's greatest attributes. Speed and mobility.
    "Do not be overly concerned with defending that first fist... it may be what comes next that needs your attention."

Agreed. He (Inosanto) is without a doubt a highly skilled individual and I to have heard that he is a good soul. In my previous comment though I was speaking more on the idea of "If Bruce Lee was still alive". Inosanto is a very skilled artist but he is no Bruce Lee. Even today (with all of his training) Inosanto seems to lack two of Lee's greatest attributes. Speed and mobility.
    Considering the fact that Bruce would now be in his sixties, the chances are pretty good he would have lost some of those key attributes.

I don't think Dan has ever had great mobility. However, his hand speed was at least as fast as Bruce's.

Quote Originally Posted by Knifefighter View Post
    Considering the fact that Bruce would now be in his sixties, the chances are pretty good he would have lost some of those key attributes.

I don't think Dan has ever had great mobility. However, his hand speed was at least as fast as Bruce's.
    Don't forget who the teacher was and why... Inosanto was humbled by Lee's abilities including and maybe even specifically by Lee's speed/mobility. As for the age factor... can't argue that one.

Don't forget who the teacher was and why... Inosanto was humbled by Lee's abilities including and maybe even specifically by Lee's speed/mobility.
    Maybe Bruce actually taught Dan some things about speed... and maybe Dan continued to get faster after Bruce died.

Bruce might have been faster with single punches or kicks followed by a punch, but I think Dan was faster with combinations of punches.

I think that some people don't give Dan his due credit. Don't forget that Bruce learned more then a thing or two from him.

bruce and dan, old story

when comparing two people it is a impossablility to figure out how good one person would have been by looking at there student. bruce had different flaws and positive aspects to him. bruce wore glasses and contacts that was the reason for wing chun. close combat due to his loss of depth perception. bruce had those long arms, even longer when he used his finger jabs. bruce taught his students to turn their flaws into positives and learn what they were capable of instead of trying to due the same things as someone else. it wasn't important to try to be the next bruce lee but trying to become the best you.
    "you have to give up, you have to realize that one day you will die. until you know that you are useless." -Tyler Durden

Quote Originally Posted by The Xia View Post
    I think that some people don't give Dan his due credit. Don't forget that Bruce learned more then a thing or two from him.
    Yea, I have to agree. As far as the general public goes, he seems to walk in Lee's shadow. For those in know, that opinion, at least in my experience changes. In my skirmen classes Inosanto is spoken very highly of and his skill level/knowledge is always given respect.

RIP Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto

Popular fighter Norifumi ‘Kid’ Yamamoto dies from cancer at age 41
    STAFF REPORT
    SEP 18, 2018

Popular mixed martial arts fighter Norifumi “Kid” Yamamoto passed away from cancer, the Twitter account of his gym Krazy Bee announced on Tuesday. He was 41 years old.

KRAZY BEE OFFICIAL
    @KB_official
    山本KID徳郁を応援して下さった皆様へ
    山本KID徳郁(享年41歳6ヶ月)が、本日9月18日に逝去致しました。生前に応援、ご支援 をして頂きま した関係各位、ファンの皆様に本人に変わり御礼申しげます。
    尚、山本家、家族、友人への取材等はご遠慮頂き、ご配慮頂けますようお願い申し上げます。
    KRAZYBEE

8:28 PM - Sep 17, 2018
    78.8K people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    With a wrestling background and aggressive striking-oriented fighting style, Yamamoto became a top fighter in Japanese promotions such as HERO’S and K-1. He took the ring for the Ultimate Fighting Championship in the United States as well.

The Kawasaki native revealed he had cancer in an Instagram post late last month, but the type of cancer was not given.

Yamamoto’s older sister Miyu and younger sister Seiko are both former world wrestling champions. Seiko is major league pitcher Yu Darvish’s wife.

Posting this here because of JKDan's original post referenced him. He is also referenced in Ufc 144
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDan View Post
    “Alongside Muhammad Ali, he [Lee] is cited as a major influence by many K-1 and MMA champions: Bas Rutten, Jose "Pele" Landi-Jons, Wanderlei Silva, Emilianenko Fedor, Norifumi "Kid" Yamamoto, Rob Kaman, Ramon Dekkers, Frank Shamrock, Murilo and Mauricio Rua, Jerome Le Banner, Carlos Newton, Remy Bonjasky, Jeremy Horn, David Loiseau and Tito Ortiz among others. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000045/bio
    I lost my first Kung Fu master, GM Wing Lam, earlier this year. **** cancer.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Sorry again for your loss, Gene.

A very late comment on a nearly 12 year-old post up above, but IMO it seems odd that nearsightedness would have played such an important role in Bruce Lee's choice of Wing Chun. I am aware that BL wore glasses, and later contacts, but (using myself as an example) I've been nearsighted since age 15 (and probably earlier) and have worn corrective lenses since then, and have never needed my glasses or contacts during stparring or competing. I've also never noticed any lack of depth perception due to nearsightedness, just blurry vision beyond a foot or so from my face. So being nearsighted seems an odd reason to choose a MA, unless BL was basically blind as a bat.

Nowadays, of course, BJJ would be a far better choice for that reason.
    Last edited by Jimbo; 09-18-2018 at 09:37 AM.