Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Bagua vid i have EVER seen.

Best Bagua vid i have EVER seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mr5vQm_i09I

it says that this man is 93 years old. holy jesus marimba i sure do hope that i can be this vital and flowing at 93. even at 73 i hope i can be like this.

with all the vid postings going on i thought i would post this one.

Peace,TWS
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword

it says that this man is 93 years old. holy jesus marimba i sure do hope that i can be this vital and flowing at 93. even at 73 i hope i can be like this.

with all the vid postings going on i thought i would post this one.

Peace,TWS
    good stuff!
    best,

bruce

Happy indeed we live,
    friendly amidst the hostile.
    Amidst hostile men
    we dwell free from hatred.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=brucereiter

Quote Originally Posted by The Willow Sword

I think that all of us can move like that when we're older if we live right and practice daily. It's definitely inspirational to watch that video, he moves good for any age, but 93?!? It's an amazing testament to the health benefits of walking the circle.

Given the name "The Yangtze River Great Chivalrous Man", Taoist Master Lu Zijian performs his bagua at the age of 93. Lu Zijian learned his bagua from a Taoist ,Li Cheng Ye, on Emei Mountain. Last time I checked, Lu Zijian was 111 years old and still going! Thx to Novell Bell for originaly providing the clip. ... (more) (less)
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

We did an article on GM Lu in 2003

Fire Dragon Qigong: 111 Year Old Grandmaster Lu Zijian’s Dragon Gate By Chen Zhiming, Stephen Jackowicz and Symon Stanley 2003 March/April. Never met him but I'm told he eats a big bolw of eggs every morning, and then has a smoke.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

thankyou for moving the thread to its proper place. I accidentally posted it in the Shaolin forums and when i noticed i was like "DOH"!!

uhh GENE? i havent been able to find the article you mentioned. clicked on the link, didnt see it. went to 2002 and 2004 and still didnt see it.
    Last edited by The Willow Sword; 08-15-2006 at 10:01 AM.
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

that was beautiful. thank you for posting.
    Originally Posted by Lee Chiang Po
    You then walk backwards, forcing him off his feet and then drag him by the eye socket and lips. You can pull so hard that the lips tear away. You will never hear such screaming.

Really great for a 93 year old man. Moreover his movements are not only smooth, but I think they are also precise...at that age it would be easy to just throw in movements to finish the form not caring about if correct or not.

This was the first time I saw Bagua and even tho the movements are carried out faster than Tai Chi I must admit that it has in it the same elegance and power. When I see someone doing Tai Chi (above all if well done) I could just sit there and watch it over and over....it has a hypnotizing effect on me I like Bagua almost in the same way.

If he's really 93 (or 73) he moves well, but the best you've seen? You get to get out more.

The Willow Sword

The article isn't available online, I'm afriad. It was in the issue above. You'll find it listed in the TOC, just below the cover picture. If you want to read it, it's only available as a back issue.

I didn't watch the youtube video, btw. I just recognized GM Lu's name. He was in a documentary of Chinese masters fairly recently and there was talk of trying to bring him over to America for a visit, but I don't know what became of that venture. He's a fascinating character. He survived a lot of hardship. He has this huge scar from a spear that ran him clean through - I've seen footage of him showing it. It was either in the Sino-Japanese war or the Cultural Revolution.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

If he's really 93 (or 73) he moves well, but the best you've seen? You get to get out more.
    PLymouth i dont see bagua as some spectator sport or performance art. Those of us who have been into and have practiced the internal arts for a while have gotten past the "wow dude thats COOL Lookin" phase. We look at "Content" "fajin" etc. and to date, that is the best representation of bagua i have ever seen. given that this man is 93 at the time of the vid makes all the difference with me.

Peace,TWS

P.S. oh and the vid was Cool lookin' too

Baguazhang

Definitely FIVE STARS,

If someone would like to see Bagua and the Taoist tradition displayed publicly, Master Lu is the example. THANK YOU for this clip and this info.

Wow! Are you guys sure he's 93 in that video? He just looks too fluid to be that age but if he is that's really amazing to me. I wonder if they have to give him a walking cane or crutch when he's through with his form .......kinda like Yoda.

Cool Vid willow sword I Love it

Wow! That video gave me the chills. It is a privilege to be able to see something like that. It used to be very rare to see that kind of Ba Gua. Maybe it is more prevalent these days.

The video made me think of why martial artists wear those long flowing clothes. You cannot see what he is doing. If you were someone who did not know martial arts, he looks like he is waving his hands around.

You know a good way to measure your progress in the martial arts? Watch that video every year and see if you notice any difference in what you see. Can you see what he is doing? Or is he just moving fast and waving his arms in particular blocking and attacking movements?

Thank you for the video. That goes right into the martial arts video collection. At the top of the pile with the drunken kung fu guy and the two guys fighting with sticks who were so crazy almost the entire gym stopped to watch them. At a professional event.