Thread: Can you develop your fist the same way as Iron palm

Can you develop your fist the same way as Iron palm

I want to develop a fist that can break bricks like the iron palm can. Is this possible? If so how? Please reply. Thank you.

yeah, do Iron palm, but throw in fist variations. But make sure it's OK with your Sifu before you start this. And make sure to do it under someone's supervision until you get it down right. It's possible to seriously damage your bones and tendons doing iron conditioning improperly.

U know what might be more interesting?

Find a bunch of people who do iron palm or fist or whatever, and take a survey. Find out how many of them developed arthritis or some other disease of the hand after the training.

Did you know your hand and head are connected? If you make your hand very hard without knowing what you are doing, your head gets very hard also. Hard headed people can lose intellectual ability and become aggressive and troublesome.

I've practiced Iron fist for years. I hate to break it to you, but you really need qualified instruction, because you need an experienced person to evaluate your progress and introduce healing techniques and medicines as injuries occur (and they will most definatly occur). If you can't find good instruction from a Chinese stylist, and by "good" I mean someone who actually practices iron skills and can demonstrate them, try Japanese or Okinawan karate. Many traditional schools practice Tameshiwara (brick breaking).

And stay away from people who tell you "you'll get cancer/arthritis/brain damage" and other unproven injury theories. They don't practice Iron palm/fist anyway so they have little to offer you other than an unfounded opinion.

And Johnny, why not post a poll? Let's see.

all hard use of hands can cause problems. including arthritis. just do a rub down after and its no worries. me thinks all authentic iron training have more than enough preventative measures.

indeed, a good program of "iron" anything will not leave deformation and will not induce subsequent malady such as arthritis, bursistis or rheumatism in general.

any "iron" regimen that does not include the medicinal portion and practices to maintain suppleness while developing the abilty to exert tremendous force without feeling too much pain yourself from the force feedback, is not genuine or authentic.

just hitting things that are harder than your hand to toughen up your hand will indeed do that, but you are gonna pay for it in teh long run if you are not taking care of the hands properly following the exercises, during and before.

as an aside, There is a caveat attached to Iron training. Not a lot of teachers actually know the method. IN fact, I would have to say that the number of people who actually know and understand the entire method start to finish is a remarkably small amount of people.

some people "think" they know what they're doing hacking away at makawari boards and such, but there are so many people that really don't know. It's a treasured method. Don't be surprised if it's hard to find proper instruction in. A most certainly, don't bother with the coconut maniac version, that is just wrong on so many levels. lol
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Listen to what almost everyone else has said.

Find an instructor.

Me and a couple other students asked my Sifu about it one time. He said he didn't know how to do it, but he said "make sure the guy can break more then one brick at a time and still do something after, otherwise he's a fake, or way too unskilled to be teaching."
    Many roads. One path.

Many styles. One art.

Many lineages. One practioner.