Thread: Clay Herb Pot Care

Clay Herb Pot Care

So, I appear to have a recurring issue with my herb pots. After use, I always wash them well and return them to the shelf where I store them. If I don't use the pot again for a month or so, I notice a fine mold that begins to grow on the interior of the pots that is easily wiped away. What's going on here?

Recently, I overheard a conversation about treating the pot by boiling salt water before use. I tried researching it on google without much result. However, I did find reference to making a light congee that is cooked down to concentrate to seal the microscopic cracks.

Does anyone know more about this?

peace

herb ox

re:Clay Herb Pot Care

When you buy a new pot (and from what I was originally told... it must be a new pot), you need to prime it first. What you do is fill it with water (no salt necessary), and bring it to a level just prior to boiling, over medium-high heat. What I mean by "just prior to boiling" is that you will see numerous fine bubbles forming on the bottom and the sides, but no actual boil. What I mean by medium-high heat is a heat level just on the upper side of medium, maybe a number or two higher if using an electric stove, but not too close to the "high" heat level. I'm only trying to clarify this because one of my patients has went through 5 pots in the past two months, while trying to follow my directions (I'm an acupuncturist/herbalist).

After you reach the desired heat level and pre-boiling point, remove the pot from the heat and let the water cool all the way down to room temp. before dumping it. After this you should be able to use the pot without any problems. Be careful not to decoct herbs on high heat. It is best to bring them to a boil over the above mentioned med-high heat, and then to reduce the heat to a level that just barely allows them to boil. It can be time consuming, and it's always hard to judge just how much liquid is left in the pot. If you burn the herbs to the pot it can be very difficult, but not impossible, to clean completely.

I've had a few of the same pots in use now for about 6 years, with zero cracks. In the past, I've went through many. They do seem to sort-of self-seal when they do crack, unless the heat is too high.

When you wash them, use no soap, or if you must, just use borax and a soap-free pad or wash cloth, and rinse very well. Let the pot dry completely, with the lid off, and then you should be able to store it without any mold developing. Make sure that the pot and the lid is bone-dry before storing.

I hope that this helps.