Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want to start a Kung Fu tournament ??????

I want to start a Kung Fu tournament ??????

With all of the recent discussion about Final Fu and many more discussions that I've had with my training partners about point sparring, I've been thinking about what it would take to put together a good kung fu tournament.

I live in Colorado and the only martial arts tournaments that we have here are open karate point sparring tournaments.

What I would want to do is create a tournament or tournaments to promote kung fu.

Here are my thoughts so far:
    1. This is a fighting tournament only. It would be designed to test your skills in a safe but more realistic manner than point sparring.

2. The fights would be 1 five minute round, no breaks.

3. The only illegal moves would be shots to the eyes, throat, groin and knees.

4. No extra points for fancy 360° kicks.

5. Extra points for clean takedowns.

6. Very few levels. Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced.

7. Very few weight categories. Youth, Middle, Heavy

8. Males and females fight each other.

These are just some thoughts. I'm really looking for some input into what would make a great kung fu tournament.

Things I have no clue about:
    1. Insurance

2. Finding a venue.

3. organizing the event.

4. Finding judges and refs.

All suggestions are welcome but I would really like to hear from some people that have done something like this before.

Thanks in advance.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Where would this happen?
    Always learning

Colorado, front range. Probably Denver.

I don't know about any of that insurance nonsense, but I would assume it to be really expensive.

And I support your idea 100%.

depending how you market it, and explain it. you might have to get boxing federation or whatever involved.

expect to pay a doctor to be there the whole time.

expect insurance to be like 3k or something. i know two guys that used to run an amatuer boxing night. was a real big hit until the insurance jacked the price on them.

Adam
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Originally Posted by Chief Fox:

3. The only illegal moves would be shots to the eyes, throat, groin and knees.
    8. Males and females fight each other.

Men and Women will fight each other, and you're allowing kness and elbows? I don't think many women would enter this tournament.

-David

Good point. I may have to reconsider that.

My main purpose right now is to see if I'll be able to even do this.

I think you have various problems. Being the next Don King is not easy.

To start with not many top fighters are going to want to travel to a tournament ran by someone they don't know....A tourney not sanctioned by anybody.

As mentioned Insurance will be a big deal however that's only one expense. You have to worry about promotion, arena rental...things like that......and what's going to be the prize?

Also things like finding an arena might be difficult. In a few of these "No holds barred" boxing/MA competitions several people have died. The last one I remember was a women who got a less than full contact blow to the head and fell like a ton of bricks. Even with the headgear she was dead before she hit the canvas. Many arenas want to avoid things like this.

NHB you can do, they have events all over. NHB with men vs. women is a total joke, and there's no way you could do. There are laws in states, so depending upon the state, you might have to have this at a tribal reservation, but even with that, there's insurance to consider.

But women are weaker and impacts affect them much worse. So forget about that. No men vs. women fighting or you'll be having hurt or dead women. But if you somehow manage to get the buyoff on men vs. women fighting it at least will be interesting to see what happens.
    Last edited by lunghushan; 08-17-2006 at 01:26 PM.

It wouldn't be NHB format. It's more of a San Shou type tournament.

So maybe it'll also be broken down by gender.

They say women are weaker and there was this show about that woman that died last year in the U.S. and another woman who got brain damage after a fight. They claimed women's brains and heads are more susceptible to trauma.

But you know what? Only 1 woman has died in boxing in the U.S. since they started but a lot more men have died during the same time period. http://ejmas.com/jcs/jcsart_svinth_a_0700.htm

Quote Originally Posted by lunghushan View Post
    They say women are weaker and there was this show about that woman that died last year in the U.S. and another woman who got brain damage after a fight. They claimed women's brains and heads are more susceptible to trauma.

But you know what? Only 1 woman has died in boxing in the U.S. since they started but a lot more men have died during the same time period. http://ejmas.com/jcs/jcsart_svinth_a_0700.htm
    That's great, thanks for the info. I'll let the doctors handle that if I ever get to that point. Right now I'm more interested in getting it all set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Chief Fox View Post
    That's great, thanks for the info. I'll let the doctors handle that if I ever get to that point. Right now I'm more interested in getting it all set up.
    You should try to get women fighting men because that will settle once and for all if women are better than men or vice versa. (For the same weight class of course).

The fights would be 1 five minute round, no breaks.
    How about 2 2minute rounds? seems like 1, 5 minute round would be wasting gas. have you ever done continuous bag work for 5 minutes? its tough. 3 minutes are what boxers normally utlitze in training for fights whose rounds last for 3 minutes.
    yes i know coming from ME who doesnt like fighting tournaments like ufc and such.

just seems like 5 minute bouts would wear you out. am i wrong on this?

i dont like the idea of Men and women fighting in these bouts, unless the women are like that thai boxing chick from jacka$$. i know it sounds sexist but there should be strict guidelines for women sparring men in this type of format. as in weight class and "how in shape she looks".
    you get some willowy lookin broad up there against a beefy lookin dude and guess who is going to come out on top on that one?
    Last edited by The Willow Sword; 08-17-2006 at 02:05 PM. Reason: added comment
    It makes me mad when people say I turned and ran like a scared rabbit. Maybe it was like an angry rabbit, who was going to fight in another fight, away from the first fight.

I was thinking about the 1 five minute round because i want people to get gassed. I want the time limit to be a part of their fighting strategy.

The reason I wanted guys and girls to fight is because I'm thinking that there are some girls out there who would like to see how they would do agains't the guys but based on some comments today, now I'm thinking no.

Anyone out there put on a tournament? Anyone? Bueller?