Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Future of KFM?

Good to hear we're reaching across the pond

Thanks for supporting us over there. As for back issues, you can access all of our previous table of contents online here.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

oh yeah man i love the mag so anyway where is the magazine headed ?
    do u have any long term plan are you doing well or badly
    i like it when u have interviews with great masters
    and articles on styles i dont hear much of
    keep it fresh and keep it new yeah
    nice one mate
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.

We're headed wherever Chinese martial arts are headed

I'm really hoping CMA is headed into supermodel training. I'm hoping it becomes a major trend for supermodels to train in CMA because nothing is sexier than a supermodel who can kick ass with some style. I'm totally serious about this.

I'm also hoping for more progress from CMA in MMA, live theater, and charity efforts. MMA and live theater both look quite promising. Charity efforts, well, that's a constant battle. We do what we can with the Tiger Claw Foundation, but that's only CMA heavy because Gigi and I do the magazine so we're always on the lookout. I'm hoping more CMA people apply their kung fu to good charitable causes. This is why we place our TCF page on the first page of each issue.

As for our long range plans, we are looking at developing this website more. Right now, I'm working hard on making the online sweepstakes a permanent fixture, so our readers can always have the chance to win something cool. We're really happy about being able to giveaway the Fearless posters autographed by Jet Li. We won't be able to offer prizes that good all the time, of course, but I'm hoping that there's always something worth winning. The industry of print magazine publishing is very difficult now, but we're keeping our head above water with the continued support of our loyal readers. As for content, we have a 'hit list' for cover masters - there are still many leading masters that we'd like to interview.

As for my personal research, which drives a lot of the magazine, I'm attempting to be more thought provoking with my subject matter and more informative about China itself. My latest cover story Where Wushu Went Wrong: Wushu's Leading Champion, Zhao Changjun, Extols Traditional is along these lines. Most people see wushu in black and white because they really don't know much about China. Here, I'm showing that it's not so simple. China is an extremely complicated culture, especially now, and whoever masters China, masters the future. The old anti-commie mentality can only go so far - most anti-commies haven't even read Mao and don't even know what they are criticising. It's knee-jerk and close-minded. In a nutshell, it's all about opening minds.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Question Live Theater?

We already have Peking Opera. What do you have in mind Gene?

See? That's what I mean about 'informative'

CMA has been making a lot of progress in live theater, and I don't mean Peking Opera - that's not really progress, that's old stuff.

Check out our Shaolin shows thread (and this is just the local scene). Then check out my old article Kungfu Under the Big Top: Cirque Du Soleil's Hot New Show, Dralion as well as the conclusion of Episode 4 of my Shaolin Trips series.

That's what I'm talking about. BTW, did anyone catch Cheri and Jennifer Haight on this season's premiere of CSI? I heard they did something with KA....
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Looks like it might be time for another round of "win the fuglee patch!"
    From the lesser known "enter the recycle bin" made aboutthe same time as the winner gets the patch.

exciting stuff!

p.s I would also like to see more asskicking in theatre. Movies has plenty these days and the cthd saturated genre is thankfully nearing it's end and perhaps we will see something new.

Hopefully, it won't be a mess of billy shoots blanks or cynthia actnot stuff.

Kung Fu is good for you.

Talking Cool !!

i loved that where wushu went wrong article
    this website is so cool
    its so cool that u talk with all of us getting opinions and whatnoty and arent just some faceless editor or ghost writer
    i will never stop reading kfm EVER !!!
    good luck man
    there are only masters where there are slaves

www.myspace.com/chenzhenfromjingwu

Quote Originally Posted by Shaolin Wookie View Post
    5. The reason you know you're wrong: I'm John Takeshi, and I said so, beeyotch.