Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pullups

Pullups

So I'm trying this new pullup routine. The idea is to increase your max reps of pullups over time by doing small managable sets. For example, my max reps of pullups is 6. I'd like for that to be 10 or better yet, 20. So here is a link to the article on increasing your reps: http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/220/

And here's my routine:
    8/22/05 thru 9/4/05 - 2 sets of 3 pull ups a day
    9/5/05 thru 9/18/05 - 2 sets of 4 pull ups a day
    9/19/05 thru 10/2/05 - 2 sets of 5 pull ups a day
    6 week max pull up test
    10/3/05 thru 10/16/05 - 2 sets of 5 pull ups a day
    10/17/05 thru 10/30/05 - 2 sets of 6 pull ups a day
    10/31/05 thru 11/13/05 - 2 sets of 7 pull ups a day
    6 week max pull up test
    11/14/05 thru 11/27/05 - 2 sets of 7 pull ups a day
    11/28/05 thru 12/11/05 - 2 sets of 8 pull ups a day
    12/12/05 thru 12/25/05 - 2 sets of 9 pull ups a day
    6 week max pull up test

So, hopefully by New Year I'll be at about 15 max reps.
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

Smile

Good plan. I did something like this in the service and got up to thirty five. (which is impressive for me because I have very long thin arms) I have a friend built more like a normal human that was able to reach fifty.

if you can figure out how to do a pull up that will help in the downward stroke of the elbow's extension would you let me know?

I think you have to go up way over the bar.

so...it's **** near impossible? i'll have to work on it...

Try to place the pull up bar not too far from the wall. Pull yourself up real fast and try to use your feet to go even higher.
    Or do pull ups to the stomach and than extend the elbows.
    Rare, but can be done.

What is all this talk about pullups being hard, I must be superhumanly blessed or something, i can do just over 100 and I never really have to train in them ethier, I can just goto gym and use the bar and do over 100 in a single set.
    -Slade-

Hey that's great. Why don't you start your own superhuman pullups thread?

Im not gloating I just find it weird how easy I find them and always have without any practice and everyone else says they are hard. its like WTF!!
    -Slade-

I'm not calling you a liar but 100+ pullups in one set is pretty freakin' amazing.

Here's a link to an article about pullups. This guy says that if you can do 45+ pullups in one set you're a physical badass! So you're more than double that!

http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/7/

Have you tried one handed pullups or weighted pullups?

Yeah thats petty amazing,so humor us and post your age,weight, and style of Pull Up (like do you kip or swing,dead hang,grip:facing u/away /alternate).

After that I'd head to the nearest AIS and try out for a Sport.

Whooh I just read your profile so your early 20s at about 80kg and in a previous post you said you can run 6miles(9.6 km) in 20mins.
    Head to the AIS now!
    Last edited by Ka; 09-14-2005 at 11:19 PM.
    A Problem is only a Problem if you think it is a Problem and every Problem has a solution

Don't worry about losing lass,I've been wrestling wolves since you were suckling on your mama's titt
    Groundskeeper Willy

Well ... it took me years and years of training (admittedly not just focusing on pull-ups, but nonetheless doing pull-ups seriously 2-3 times per week) to get to my current max, which is 35-40 (depends on the day ) in one set, full r.o.m.

I've seen a 25y.o. gymnast (olympic level) doing 60 in one set for a challenge, and the last few were a BIG effort ... and this is a guy that trains those muscle groups all day, every day, since childhood, and is under 70kg, all muscle.

So ... if you can really do 100 in one set at 20y.o. and 80kg, with any amount of training, let alone hardly any as you say, immediately head to the nearest institute of sport and choose a discipline, because you must have the genetics to become one of the greatest athletes of all time.

Wall
    Last edited by wall; 09-15-2005 at 05:43 AM.
    > it is your mind, that creates this world >

Well I've been doing my pullup workout for the past 6 weeks and today I did my 6 week max pullup test. And I'm happy to say that my pullup max has increased from 6 to 8. So it's working. Slowly, but still working. In another 6 weeks I hope to be at a max of 10. I'll update this thread.

Hi Chief ... honestly I think your progress is way too slow (2 reps gain in 6 weeks, starting at a 6 reps max) and IMO you should change program.

Try this for 4 weeks:

Monday: 5 sets of pullups - each set to failure and then 3-4 additional negative reps (jump up using your feet then go down as slowly as possible).

Thursday: same as monday.

The other days do anything else but nothing too strenuous involving lats and biceps, which will be recuperating.
    Usual healthy eating with plenty of proteins applies.
    Based on experience I say when you try your max in 4 weeks time it would have gone up to at least 10, maybe 12. In 6-8 months you should be around 18 reps, then it will gradually get slower (the gain) and depend more and more also on genetics, other training, nutrition, etc.

Happy training

Wall
    Last edited by wall; 10-04-2005 at 05:46 AM.
    > it is your mind, that creates this world >

Quote Originally Posted by Ka
    Whooh I just read your profile so your early 20s at about 80kg and in a previous post you said you can run 6miles(9.6 km) in 20mins.
    Head to the AIS now!
    The world record for the mile is 3:43. 3:43 per mile for 6 miles equates to a time of 22:18. I think 6 miles in 20-21 minutes is an exaggeration. The world record for 10,000 meters (6.2 miles) is around 26 minutes.
    Me fail English? That's unpossible!