Thread: Partner Forms w/Out Partners

Partner Forms w/Out Partners

So I've just resigned myself to the fact that I will never be able to find any good training partners.

Any ideas on how to practice partner forms without a partner?

This has always been my problem, especialy since my Sifu was my partner to start off with. Can't force him to do it with me

So I just decided to do the side I know as a regular Single Form. A little bit difficult in the beginning but then it just flows.

the difficulty is in distance execution, especially when I do get to train it with a partner. I tend to really make it combat oriented which doesn't lend itself well to a partner set.

The only thing is that won't give any feedback training for distance, or force for getting out of locks or anything like that. But I don't have any better ideas.

Drills:
    single, wooden dummy/sandbag, partner.

the same thing you would have to do with a regular form.

Grandmaster Chan Tai San said in regards to partner forms (loose translation)

"Partner sets teach you how not to fight."

the fight is over fast. Partner sets are all about I counter this, then I counter that which is good for demonstration purposes. Nothing like a rea fight.

partner forms have two sides.

usually, when learning them, you'll learn each side as a solo thing, unless you are taught the entire thing with another person in which case, you'll have a little more effort in extrapolating the sides.

anyway, do each half.

take the application parts out and drill them, then drill them onto a device (bag, wooden dummy, pads, poles etc)

finally, take the most workable stuff from inside the set and make them combos and use them.

If you can't get a partner to do the set with you, then oh well, you can still make the best of whats in the set.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Thanks for the advice, ngokfei and David. Now if they could just lengthen the day by a few hours so people have more time to practice.