Thread: Need data support from KFM members

Need data support from KFM members

I have always believed that if you can do

- 60 sit up, and
    - 60 push up

"everyday" then you will be able to keep your body in good shape.

Since I don't have enough data to support my theory, I would like to get some help from you guys here. If you are already doing this then could you share your result and experience here? If you have not done this then could you kindly spend "5 minutes" every day on these 2 simple exercises for the next "2 weeks (every day)" and then share your result and experience here?

Thanks in advance!
    CMA = health + fun + combat value

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_LaLanne

check that dude out. probably find what you need to support your theory of quality of life increasing by staying fit.

"just" situps and pushups, I don't know. That's only your upper body. I would think a more rounded regimen that works every muscle group would be even more beneficial.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Plus stretching. A supple body will prevent a lot of everyday injuries that add up in old age.

yes push ups and situps done correctly and with some variations (twists on su, one arms on pu and so on) can target many muscles that otherwise aren't by doing regular linear pu and su.

But, they don't do much if anything for your legs and very little for your traps, delts, lats and rhomboids (back muscles)

they will work your ab muscle, your obliques, your chest, your triceps. Not so much your biceps, not so much forearms.

and they are anaerobic exercises so you don't get much in teh way of cv dev with these exericises. CV is very important to quality of life stuff. It's exclusion in any regimen is egrigious.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Yeah, I agree with DJ. I would add pistols, jump squats, pullups and jogging, at the least.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

From scientificwrestling.com

Gotch's Bible:

First, shuffle a full deck of cards (Jokers included). Black cards mean squats and red cards mean push-ups.

Every time you deal a black card, you do twice the amount of repetitions as the face value of the dealt card. This means, if you get a black 8, you do 16 squats. If you get a black Ace, you do 22 squats.

Spades are regular Hindu Squats, Clubs are Jumper Squats. The first Joker you pull means you do 40 hindu-squats consecutively.

Every time you get a red card, you do push-ups. This time you do the actual value of the face card. If you get a red 8, you do 8 push-ups. If you get a red Ace, you do 11 push-ups.

Diamonds are regular Hindu Push-Ups, Hearts are 1/2 Moon Push-Ups. The second Joker you pull means you do 20 push-ups consecutively.

Karl then follows this by holding a 3-minute wrestler's bridge with the best form possible.

Good luck!
    Chan Tai San Book at https://www.createspace.com/4891253

Quote Originally Posted by taai gihk yahn View Post
    well, like LKFMDC - he's a genuine Kung Fu Hero™
    Quote Originally Posted by Taixuquan99 View Post
    As much as I get annoyed when it gets derailed by the array of strange angry people that hover around him like moths, his good posts are some of my favorites.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellen Bassette View Post
    I think he goes into a cave to meditate and recharge his chi...and bite the heads off of bats, of course....

Quote Originally Posted by lkfmdc View Post
    From scientificwrestling.com

Gotch's Bible:

First, shuffle a full deck of cards (Jokers included). Black cards mean squats and red cards mean push-ups.

Every time you deal a black card, you do twice the amount of repetitions as the face value of the dealt card. This means, if you get a black 8, you do 16 squats. If you get a black Ace, you do 22 squats.

Spades are regular Hindu Squats, Clubs are Jumper Squats. The first Joker you pull means you do 40 hindu-squats consecutively.

Every time you get a red card, you do push-ups. This time you do the actual value of the face card. If you get a red 8, you do 8 push-ups. If you get a red Ace, you do 11 push-ups.

Diamonds are regular Hindu Push-Ups, Hearts are 1/2 Moon Push-Ups. The second Joker you pull means you do 20 push-ups consecutively.

Karl then follows this by holding a 3-minute wrestler's bridge with the best form possible.

Good luck!
    that's a little brutal for beginners isn't it? lol
    I mean, that's a wicked workout in itself seeing as you are going to be doing 54 times "x".

You could probably get through a deck after a couple of months of trying at it.
    although, I don't know for sure, but I like the idea of using the deck of cards. thanks for that.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Here they come to snuff the rooster

I can do about 75 [sit-ups] at a go.
    ~Rooster Britney Spears
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by sc_guy View Post
    I have always believed that if you can do

- 60 sit up, and
    - 60 push up

"everyday" then you will be able to keep your body in good shape.

Since I don't have enough data to support my theory, I would like to get some help from you guys here. If you are already doing this then could you share your result and experience here? If you have not done this then could you kindly spend "5 minutes" every day on these 2 simple exercises for the next "2 weeks (every day)" and then share your result and experience here?

Thanks in advance!
    Dood! 60 situps? And you call yourself a kung fu man?

You need to watch more TV. There was a TV show about two families that trade mothers. A Black mother goes to a Japanese home while the White wife of the Japanese man goes to the Black family.

The Black woman goes to the house and meets everyone. There is the husband, the couples children, and the Japanese man's mother. She is about 65 or 70. She looks about 50. The Black lady keeps looking at Grandma like she cannot believe her eyes.

The next day, the first full day in the house, the Black woman finds out Grandma does daily exercises. The Black woman is very friendly so she wants to go do exercises with Grandma. They do some stretches and then it is time for situps.

The Black woman is a big. She is one of those people with a huge stomach. They start to do setups and the Black lady starts looking around like "Oh my god! When is this going to stop?".

Finally she cannot take it anymore. The Black lady asks Grandma how many more they have to go? The Grandma says 550. Yep. You heard me right. 70 year old Japanese Grandma does 600 situps every morning. And she looks 50.

You don't need any data. You need to stop thinking 60 situps is a workout instead of just a warmup. If a 70 year old lady can do 600 situps every morning, of course a tough kung fu man like yourself can do that many.

Can't you?

Quote Originally Posted by Jow Ga Fist View Post
    sc, are you limited in what you can do? why only push-ups and sit-ups, just wondering?
    This is not the only thing that people will do. But I just like to know it you add this 5 minutes (I believe 5 minutes is all it takes) in your daily training then what kind result that you can obtain after 2 weeks. Just assume that this is for people with average health and no MA ability.

I try to find if this will achieve the simple goal such as, "Minimum effort, maximum result". Just try to see if "5 minutes per day and only 2 weeks" could change average people.

id rather do 20 crunches and make them feel like 50 and do them in sets.

then again i dont like crunches much.
    where's my beer?

Quote Originally Posted by Jow Ga Fist View Post
    But internally they may feel start to stronger or more energetic sooner. something is better than nothing. Diet is the key as well.
    If someone can get rid his fat belly and has some muscle on his arms and shoulder then that should be good enough for any "average" person. I agree that Diet is an important factor here but since I'm vegetarian myself, I like to get some data from none vegetarians.

I also agree that one will need to do more than this but this is just a starting point and not the ending point. If one feels good after 2 weeks then it will be more likely that he will add more training into his daily exercise.
    Last edited by sc_guy; 08-23-2006 at 09:48 PM.

Just to clarify, doing sit ups won't take the fat off of someone's abdomen -- it will strengthen their midsection but when we lose weight, it comes off of the whole body. To see your "abs" a male has to have a bodyfat of around 10% or less (15% or less for women). Maybe this is understood, just wanted to add that caveat.

I'm all for simple, quick exercises too but I think just doing pushups/situps is too simplistic -- in 15 minutes, you could add a full body workout (squats, abdominal work, core exercises involving multiple muscle groups) that would be a lot more effective.

And to echo what everyone else has been saying, diet/nutrition is just as important to a healthy lifestyle as exercise.
    The Eye Half-Shut:
    Part of the Truth Revealed
    http://rubesroost.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Li Kao View Post
    in 15 minutes, you could add a full body workout (squats, abdominal work, core exercises involving multiple muscle groups) that would be a lot more effective.
    I would like to add 3 miles running to that list.