Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I just resigned from my job.

South FL. Which is not to be confused with any part of the USA

Thumbs up I just resigned from my job.

and I feel so much better.

4 1/2 years of trying to do too much with too little staff is over.

Now I need to decide what's next.

Still have a month to work out but now maybe I'll sleep again.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

"Is enlightenment even possible? Or, did I drive by it like a missed exit?"

It's simpler than you think.

I could be completely wrong"

You talked to me about having something else lined up, did it pan out? Good luck bro, I know how frustrated you were with the CDS.
    I am still a student practicing - Wang Jie Long

"Don`t Taze Me Bro"

Thumbs up

Congratulations. I am so jealous.

I've been at my current job for 5 years and most days I sit here wishing that someone would come in and hit me in the head with a hammer.

On to a new chapter. Make it a good one!
    Check out my wooden dummy website: http://www.woodendummyco.com/

CONGRATS!!! If i had a glass i would toast to new beginnings. mmm... toast.

Don't suppose you have any funds packed away to hold you until the school picks up.

Do you have a skills to freelance for extra money until the school generates enough income?

You are braver than me!

I am reminded of Beowulf: "Fate often saves an undoomed man when his courage is good."

yu shan: yes. that prospect is still a very good one but won't pick up till October or November. I've been helping with it some on a part time basis and will continue to do so until it opens up. It's not a 100% guaranteed thing but still a good 75% shot.

CF: I've been wishing the same thing. The last straw was last week when I got raked over the coals for questioning someone's assumption that I could drop whatever I'm doing to do something else they needed done w/o any prior notice...not a little thing either...putting together four lab tables.

mmmm....toast w/ peanut butter and jelly and a good cup of french roast ethiopian yrgacheffe...

YS: yes, worst case scenario is that I have 3 months in the bank. It wasn't a rash decision...hell, I will have been here 4 and a half years come sept 06 and I've been wanting out for four....and, yea, I've got a couple of scab jobs I could do...work for a landscaper or an arborist or hang my shingle out as a handyman again.

mostly, I want to spend the free time marketing the school like I can't do with the full time job...do some demos at some schools and stuff.
    Last edited by Oso; 08-22-2006 at 09:24 AM.
    "George never did wake up. And, even all that talking didn't make death any easier...at least not for us. Maybe, in the end, all you can really hope for is that your last thought is a nice one...even if it's just about the taste of a nice cold beer."

"If you find the right balance between desperation and fear you can make people believe anything"

I didn't leave my job, my job left me (relocated to another state). I wasn't making enough to keep my school open so that closed.

I've been freelancing the last 2 1/2 years with plans of getting another class going.

I do a couple of different things for money right now and when I add a KF class to the income I might just make enough to stay on my own. The only wrinkle in that plan is a job offer on the horizon. If the pay is right I might take it but I'll need to relocate about 100 miles.

I'm waiting to see where that goes before starting up a class.

Oso, unless you take a bs job just to pay the bills you might want to try the self-employed route. That way you can faze it out as the school grows. You are looking to to be a full-time teacher with a commercial school right?

Of course if you have kids you probably need the security of a steady job with health benefits.

I've tried to go my own a couple of times...both after making major moves (new town 1.5-3 hours away from the last town). Not really something I want to do again as a full time prospect.

I've got an opportunity to get in on the ground floor of a new consulting business. The woman who is starting it up has worked in statistics and modeling for the pharmacuetical and medical industry for the last decade or so and is going it on her own and has asked me to come in as her Operations Manager. In the beginning I will pretty much be everything from office beyotch to assisting with research...just helped her a bit with a lit review on congestive heart failure.

so, pretty excited about that, her offer to me is on paper but the timing is variable.

oh, and I've thought about going back to bouncing part time just for a few months...maybe at a strip club

Bouncing at a strip club? And they pay you for that?

KF practice plus eye candy. Where do I sign up?

yea...from guys I've talked to the pay is minimum wage but you get tipped out from the girls...

my girlfriend has already so nowayinhell, though....

strip club bouncers

I worked with a dude who used to be a bouncer at a strip club. We made swords together, if you can beleive that. He was a feisty one and used to date strippers. That's a really messed up way to go, dating strippers, just think about it. Anyway, he often used to complain about what a horrid job it had been. He had to work with some really scummy clientele and explain to them the rules (they can touch you but you can't touch them). He made is sound like a hellish job. But then again, he was a dark character. I watched him headbutt this street person who was getting in our shop and messing stuff up once. Actually, I didn't see it personally. I should say I heard it. A big crack. Then a bloody-faced street person.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    That's a really messed up way to go, dating strippers, just think about it.
    I would rather make swords than date strippers but unfortunately I don't have time for either one.

But what's wrong with dating strippers? A lot of them are just nice college girls, right? (Actually I have no idea because I've never been to a place, but that's what they tell me).

Actually I knew a guy once who dated strippers and he caught something from one of them. Never would tell us what, maybe just crabs but it sounded more serious.

not that I wouldn't date a stripper...if everything else clicked...but I wouldn't do it for the women.

...just saying that if you're gonna be a bouncer you might as well be surrounded by nekkid wimmins.

CF: I've been wishing the same thing. The last straw was last week when I got raked over the coals for questioning someone's assumption that I could drop whatever I'm doing to do something else they needed done w/o any prior notice...not a little thing either...putting together four lab tables.
    The woman who is starting it up has worked in statistics and modeling for the pharmacuetical and medical industry for the last decade or so
    Oso, what kind of work do you do? It sounds a lot like the industry I'm in.