Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chan Hon Chung

Chan Hon Chung

Ok figure if im gonna ask i'll ask in the right place.

i'm looking for some information on the late and great Chan Hon Chung's styles.

i know he was a hung gar master. but i also heard he did choy li fut and monkey kung fu. is this true or no?
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Do you know some one who can translate for you? This is Chan Hon Chung. i'll post the rest if your interested.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzermavg/s...hokp49of56.jpg

Tai Lik
    5th Five Tigers Kung Fu Championship 2008
    http://www.fivetigerschampionship.com/
    http://www.jowtigers.com

Chan Hon CHung

Try contacting Master Jim Uglow in England UK...via www.kungfu.co.uk as he was a long time student of Grandmaster Chan
    Kune Belay Sau

And if you found someone to translate, share the translation with the rest of us!

Quote Originally Posted by Tai-Lik View Post
    Do you know some one who can translate for you? This is Chan Hon Chung. i'll post the rest if your interested.

http://mysite.verizon.net/vzermavg/s...hokp49of56.jpg

Tai Lik
    that article juss explains techniques and applications of a section of fu hok seung ying kune nothing bout chan hong chung himself

Late but.....

Here is a short bio of him.
    http://www.hungkuen.net/masters-chanhonchung.htm
    They don't mention anything about him doing Choy Li Fut or Monkey Kung Fu. I'd be curious to see if that's true as well.

ShaolinLueb

Adam,

I think I know where your getting the Choy Li Fut and Monkey idea from. It's wrong.
    Chan Hon Chong was Hung Gar. It was other teachers and sources that the Choy Li Fut and Monkey boxing came from.
    Kune Belay Sau

Grandmaster Chan Honjung was one of the "orthodox Hung Kyun" (Hung Kyun Jing Jung) masters. i have never heard of Grandmaster Chan learned CLF or monkey style, although he has taught some (originally) taai sing pek gwa sets, like willow leaf pek gwa sabre (pek gwa daan dou)

as for CLF and monkey, Grandmaster Lau Jaam has studied CLF prior to Hung Kyun. Grandmaster Lam Jou has taught a monkey set long time ago, and also a monkey intro to the "monkey stick" (hang je paang)

all the best

PS: tailik, where have you dissapeared? you have posted great, great articles, thanx again for that
    PM

Practical Hung Kyun 實用洪拳

www.practicalhungkyun.com

Quote Originally Posted by PM View Post
    Grandmaster Chan Honjung was one of the "orthodox Hung Kyun" (Hung Kyun Jing Jung) masters. i have never heard of Grandmaster Chan learned CLF or monkey style, although he has taught some (originally) taai sing pek gwa sets, like willow leaf pek gwa sabre (pek gwa daan dou)
    Do you know where he got the Tai Shing Pek War sets from?

Greetings,

I remember reading in an old issue of Real Kung Fu that he was involved in the Hong Kong movie industry early on. It is possible he may have picked up the form there.

mickey

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I train with an elderly man in his seventies from Guangzhao, probably similar in age to Chan Hon Chung. This man studied Dai Sing Pek Kwa under Gen Duk Hoi. Perhaps Chan did likewise?

Quote Originally Posted by TenTigers View Post
    I train with an elderly man in his seventies from Guangzhao, probably similar in age to Chan Hon Chung. This man studied Dai Sing Pek Kwa under Gen Duk Hoi. Perhaps Chan did likewise?
    Chan Hon Chung was in Canton from 1936-1938. If he studied under Gen Duk Hoi, maybe it was during this time.
    Last edited by The Xia; 08-04-2007 at 12:07 PM.

Also Y.C . Wong while being younger than CHC knows Tai Shing Pek Kwa. Is it posible it comes from the same source?

Sifu Yc Wong does know and teach the some of pek wa system. He learned it from Sigung Lam jo good friend Gan Duk Hoi(I may have the spelling wrong) What Sifu teaches are the hand sets and the darn do.

It would make sense they come from the same source as both CHC and Sifu Wong come from the same lineage and I believe CHC and Sigung Lam jo were friendly.

PM would know more, he is kind of the historian for our lineage and has done alot of research on our branch.

Personally I hate the hand sets but love the Darn do!

we also have a pekwa dan do which comes from Ho Kam Wai Sigung in Malaysia...